Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times

Advertisements

^^ I agree. The more you starve yourself the more your body will slow down so it doesn't starve. I also have personal experience that WHAT I eat DOES matter. I've lost 40 pounds by eliminating sugar and wheat. I've also undoubtedly increased my metabolism by taking up biking, but I don't believe I would have lost that much by doing one or the other.
14 years ago I lost 30 pounds by going on the Atkin's Diet. Again, I ate as much as I wanted, didn't count calories, but didn't eat sugar and flour. I went off it because my daughter and husband, who have bought into the low-fat is the way to lose weight mindset, kept ragging at me about how unhealthy it was. Well, I went off it, and the pounds came back!
So i disagree with Open D's post. (Now THERE'S a surprise!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
I lost nearly 40 pounds 2 years ago by eating healthy foods and very little processed. I counted calories and would juggle them by having 1500 on the 3 heavy workout days and 1200 or 1300 on other days. I workout at the gym 3 days a week and do muscle/strength training at home.

I have kept off most of the weight but tend to gain when I travel which is often. The most I've gone over my ideal weight is 10 pounds and that was on a month long and very indulgent trip.

I don't do low carb or low fat or gluten free or any of that. I simply eat fresh, healthy food most of the time with occasional 'treats'.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
So i disagree with Open D's post. (Now THERE'S a surprise!!)
You misunderstood what I was saying. (Now THERE'S a surprise!!)

The latest research actually came out of studies on how to extend life, and to live longer better. It wasn't focused on weight loss to begin with. The discoveries they made about weight loss came out as a side benefit, and those discoveries contradict many long held views about lifelong nutrition.

The central point is, as confirmed by several different research teams, is that when you eat more than your body requires, ALL the time, you will gain weight, because the body perceives that you are in a time of abundance, so your metabolism switches into the "store the excess" gear and stays there.

But when you fast frequently, your body perceives that you are in a time of scarcity, and shifts into "use the stored excess" gear and stays there.

Some researchers advocate total fasting on one schedule or another, some advocate restricted calorie diets full time, but the researchers Dr. Mosley consulted with believe their regimen of 5 days eating normally, interspersed with 2 days of partial fasts, is not only effective, but the easiest method for an average person to comply with.

For those who might be interested, here's more info on 5:2 Intermittent Fasting, or for short, The Fast Diet.

The Fast Diet » the secret of 5:2 intermittent fasting: lose weight, stay healthy, live longer

Old 10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
fats never went anywhere, ketogenic diet...check it out

Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
I think there are some merits to the intermittent fasting idea. I watched a PBS show on it a while back that was really interesting. But I don't know about it being easy to do, at least not for me.

If I skip even just breakfast, by 10:00 AM I'm so freaking hungry I could eat cardboard. I'm miserable and get terrible acid reflux. If I have a single day of not eating very much my strength in the gym drops like a rock and my energy plummets.

Lifting weights and then stuffing my face with quality food 24/7 is a lot more fun. I don't need to lose any weight anyway, but some people might want to consider it. It seems to be pretty effective for some. On the PBS show it also improved markers associated with diabetes in some people.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 10-24-2013 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
my diet is around 65-75% fats, and i have a 4.5% body fat, yes i workout, but the point is saturated animal fats are more than healthy I believe they are necessary.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:16 AM

693 posts, read 1,137,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Lifting weights and then stuffing my face with quality food 24/7 is a lot more fun.
This!

Frankly, this is how people used to live, not so much lifting weights, but staying active at work and/or home and eating well. Since most people are in some form of stationary job, got to supplement with either cardio or weightlifting but to me weightlifting is fun and like the poster above said, you can eat well!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Did anyone else see Dr. Oz yesterday with that guest neurologist who was saying that butter,white rice,red meat,bacon,etc. is good for us and that we had been depriving our bodies of these needed fats and that fats are back? He also said root vegetables such as potatoes and beets(anything grown underground)is bad as well as whole grains....totally the opposite of what we've been taught for years? I am still trying to process all of it and am wondering which is right and true. I guess it all goes back to what I've always said....A varied,balanced diet in MODERATION. Any thoughts anyone?
....and how much do you want to bet that Dr Oz himself was saying the exact opposite just a few days ago? That is, when he's not telling you that juice and lip gloss will kill you and this berry and these roots and this seaweed will cure everything from restless leg syndrome to multiple sclerosis.
Why, it's a wonder we have any diseases left at all!
I really dislike that show.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
Sugar doesn't turn into fat. It affects hormones and fat STORAGE.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,845 times
I know that people use the term "starvation" colloquially to mean hunger.
But Hunger is NOT the same as Starvation.
Just sayin'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink