Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Once in a while I CRAVE Campbell's Tomato Soup (made with milk, of course) and a grilled cheese sandwich.
Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich! A perfect combination!

YUM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My favorite way of eating Campbells Tomato Soup is to put a huge handful of Tommy Sturgis Little Cheesers (a cheddar cheese mini pretzel...if you are from Southeastern PA, you know what I'm talking about) in the bowl, then pour the hot milky soup over them. YUMMMMM.
I'm from SE PA and I never heard of it. It sounds good, though.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich! A perfect combination!
I agree. I had exactly that just one hour ago.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Things have calmed down a little now, but the market has really started to deteriorate now that the foodie movement has taken over. The canned soup people really have not kept up with food trends at all -- they seemed to stop trying after the black-bean soup type of things that came out in the Eighties -- and now they are paying the piper.
They had a "Scotch Broth" with Barley and Vegetables. Just saw a YouTube clip of it. Some may think
the Foodie Movement is new but people have been sharing home made recipes, cooking from scratch &
ate and shopped at ethnic deli's for generations.
I would like to know how many people make their own tomato paste, peanut butter, ketchup, mustard,
oils, butter, etc...

Classic CAMPBELL'S SOUP KIDS Animated Tomatoland TV Commercial - YouTube

Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
A lot of Campbell's soups are used for cooking (casseroles, for example), too, and millenials don't seem to be doing much of that.

Even the suggestion that they're overlooking canned soups to make their own is comical.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
A lot of Campbell's soups are used for cooking (casseroles, for example), too,
and millenials don't seem to be doing much of that..
Assembling commercially prepared ingredients? That isn't really cooking to you... is it?
Is a boxed cake mix and a tub of icing baking?

Quote:
Even the suggestion that they're overlooking canned soups to make their own is comical.
Not so much. My own millenials learned how to make soup from scratch when young.
And it really isn't all that much bother. 20 minutes soup

Having stock available takes some forethought (and probably weekend work) or a boxed product.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
A lot of Campbell's soups are used for cooking (casseroles, for example), too, and millenials don't seem to be doing much of that.

My daughters are 28 and 30 and they both make soup (and all sorts of other goodies) from scratch. In fact they grow their own herbs and make their own stock.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with adding a can of soup to something in a crock pot sometimes.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:07 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

That being said, there's nothing wrong with adding a can of soup to something in a crock pot sometimes.

Tell that to Mr. Rational.

People have been adding canned soups to recipes for decades and, yes, people consider that "cooking."

BTW, there will always be exceptions, but I stand by my comment about young people (generally, folks) not being interested in cooking; they're the "takeout generation." Just ask 'em.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Alright one of these days I'm going to make a couple cans of tomato soup and a grill cheese sandwich or two made with plenty of real butter... it's been so long since I've had this!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Tell that to Mr. Rational.
People have been adding canned soups to recipes for decades and, yes, people consider that "cooking."
Mom did that sort of assembly thing a lot in the 50's and 60's... We scarfed it down without complaint.
(blue box mac 'n cheese + canned tuna + canned beans was a favorite)

And I'm really sorry if you took offense, but I really don't consider that sort of assembling stuff to be cooking.
I doubt any other real cook does either. Even if it is tasty or familiar.

btw... I'll still do that sort of "assembly" work sometimes too; busy days, changed plans and such.
Tonight f'rinstance will be our modern adaption of what Mom made then:
noodle sauce pouch + real fish + fresh vegetables; with seasoned bread crumbs & baked a bit.
Tonight is brocoli and sauteed shrimp. Easy. Fast enough. Yumm. Whats not to like?

Quote:
BTW, there will always be exceptions, but I stand by my comment about young people
I will too. I guess our millenials run in different circles.

Last edited by MrRational; 11-27-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink