Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just chance them out: I have to do with spoiled brat all the time. His mother used to drive me nuts: She would not only wander into the kitchen when we were trying to get everything on the table, she would stand there and pick at the food, especially the turkey if she could. Damn it pissed me off!!!
Lol this made me laugh since DH is the carver and tries to sneak a piece or two in the process, this year he won't be able to since everyone can see him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM

458 posts, read 644,646 times
Setup booby traps or pour water into an open bucket and let it sit slightly on the edge of the corner door.
Or just watch the movie Home Alone for inspirations on how to keep those pesky guests from invading your kitchen.
Fire usually works well.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Definitely keep the snacks/drinks as far from the kitchen as possible -- even water and soft drinks.

A polite "No thank you!" can go a long way, but also -- try your best to look pleasant and not frazzled, even if you are. Once that look starts on your face, people start to insist on helping. My "thinking" face tends to make me look either mad or stressed even if I am neither of those things, so I try to be conscious of that when I have people around, lest they all think I'm cursing them and liable to spit in their food.
Yeah I am the same with my thinking face, tend to look stressed out. I am keeping the appetizers, and drinks outside and hopefully folks playing with the outdoor games will keep them busy for a while.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
When they ask what they can help with, just tell them everything is under control for now, but...

to the 1st helper: I'll let you know when everything is ready to eat, and you can see what everyone wants to drink and get the drinks ready.

to the 2nd helper - I'll let you know when the rolls are ready, and you can get those out of the oven and onto the table.

to the 3rd helper - I'll let you know when it's time to take out the cold dishes, and you can get those out and onto the table.

That way the helpers feel good and will hopefully stay out of the kitchen until you let them know when it's time to do their job.

All the little jobs that I give away, are the things that I don't really like to do, and it does help to get things to the table while they're still hot.

Good luck, especially if you have a food picker like nmnita
Excellent suggestions! Might have to give that a try since SIL is a very take over personality.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:26 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
put the open bar in another room,,,
or
keep a dog nearby, tell everyone it has fleas and ticks- please keep your distance
or

put a donation jar on the counter for a local charity-dont ask for donations, tell them you are going to be involved this holiday season with a local charity- but its enough to keep people away

seriously,
when you do greet them,,,tell them where the appetizers and drinks are-but also tell them,,,you are doing the cooking,,,and if you want to help stay away..!!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Step one is to sell house and buy one with a separated kitchen. What you describe is exactly why I hate open kitchens....that and I am usually trying to watch tv and all you can hear is banging and things running in the kitchen.....very annoying to everyone except the one doing the cooking. Too late to solve that problem though. lol

The way I solve that sort of problem is I politely say I have it under control but thanks. When they don't listen I tell them to get the hell out. That is just my personality though and everyone knows it. Some people can't just say what they mean and be forward with it and dance around trying to be nice to everyone which results in being irritated and stressed out themselves.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:39 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
We are celebrating Thanksgiving in my new home
which has a very open concept kitchen, living room and dining area.
So... what sort of floor plan will your next home have?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Step one is to sell house and buy one with a separated kitchen. What you describe is exactly why I hate open kitchens....that and I am usually trying to watch tv and all you can hear is banging and things running in the kitchen.....very annoying to everyone except the one doing the cooking. Too late to solve that problem though. lol

The way I solve that sort of problem is I politely say I have it under control but thanks. When they don't listen I tell them to get the hell out. That is just my personality though and everyone knows it. Some people can't just say what they mean and be forward with it and dance around trying to be nice to everyone which results in being irritated and stressed out themselves.

Open kitchens is what we wanted for ourselves, for the max of at about six folks, that is something we can handle and I love the open kitchen concept for that....it is how we host parties all the the time, when you have twenty Folks then things change.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So... what sort of floor plan will your next home have?
Actually we wanted this, and are happy because I cook Sunday dinner for my boys and this works well for us and our grandkids. And NO this is our dream house and no way would we ever sell it...plan to retire in it.

It just doesn't work well when you have twenty folks and not a plan, thus the thread for ideas. Thanks for the folks that have offered them

Old 11-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

Thank you, it is what I would do normally, but I really want this thanksgiving to be nice for our family. Actually I love our open kitchen because before I was very isolated from the family while cooking,and now I love the conversation.

I always cook a big Sunday dinner with the boys and grandchild, so for me it is special to be interactive with the little one.

My problem is that when you have a large amount of folks you have to manage them so they are not on top of you. Open kitchens are great for families that are about ten or below, if you cook a lot of from scratch foods it is nice to be able to talk and interact with family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink