Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

I love beets too. Though I do agree that sometimes canned beets can taste like dirt. I think they suffer from not being having much versatility. Or, at least, we don't use them in very many different ways.

One of my more interesting (and odd ... to me) discoveries is that it's an almost required topping on hamburgers in Australia. What I don't know, and am curious about, is ... are they pickled or plain? Pickled makes sense, but plain just seems kind of weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 06:14 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Beets are fantastic...at some point, I'm sure they'll have their 15 min. Of foodie trendiness and become the new kale or pomegranate.

I like them roasted a lot lately, and made borscht with a bunch not too long ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I roast them all the time. Sometimes I shred them on a grater after roasting, & season them with everything from vinegar to sugar or even curry. Good stuff!
I was thinking the same thing about the foodie trend. Love them as a salad, roasted, pickled and
good old borscht. When people ask me what's in borscht and I tell them beets - they look like they
are going to gag. It's really vegetable soup plus beets and very healthy.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I really enjoy them but these little rascals are pricy in our area.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
My best friend thinks they taste like "sugared dirt" - but I love 'em. Roasted, they are perfect in so many things.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 AM

and they are so good for you too.

Beets

Old 11-30-2013, 10:35 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
At the farmer's market, I only buy beets if the greens are attached and look fresh. I like beets, but I love beet greens.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:00 PM

126,279 posts, read 19,053,589 times
We eat every day red beets raw or as a salad with onion,black pepper,olive oil and vinegar. Sometimes I make an East Indian beet curry dish and not only it looks wicked color wise but the taste is awesome.On rare occasions I make Ukrainian Red Borscht Soup

Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I love beets and they have many nutrients and minerals.

I remember as a kid, I couldn't wait for Easter as I knew my mama would make a big bowl of pickled beets and then she would put boiled eggs in the pickling juice so we could have pickled eggs to with our meal. It was a good way to get rid of the colored boiled eggs the Easter Bunny left in our Easter baskets.

Alm, I think you might have to message that recipe for your beet salad. That sounds amazing.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
We eat every day red beets raw or as a salad with onion,black pepper,olive oil and vinegar. Sometimes I make an East Indian beet curry dish and not only it looks wicked color wise but the taste is awesome.On rare occasions I make Ukrainian Red Borscht Soup
MMMM. I make Ukrainian borscht every Christmas eve (tradition) as well as several times a year.
Husband never heard of it until we got married, he's been hooked ever since. Also enjoy grated
cooked beets with a little horseradish.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:38 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Speaking of Borscht - I love it. There used to be this great place in San Francisco called Stone Soup and they specialized in soups - a different one for each day. This was my introduction to Borscht - I loved it! The last time that I was in San Francisco I tried to find the place and they no longer existed. I have tried making Borscht myself and others have liked/enjoyed it - I myself did not care for it. I got a recipe from a Russian woman at the Farmer's market but have yet tried to make it again - maybe one day. Until then, I'll just eat my beets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink