Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times

Advertisements

Sounds like your friend is mixed up on the meats, pork raised "old style" out in the dirt you have to worry about trichinosis. IIRC.

Whole cuts, like filet, no worry. Ground beef, I'd cook more....unless you ground yourself from whole cuts.

I like mine more done, so get some practice in.
But I wouldn't turn it down, that's for sure.

Nice job! Keep the pix come'n!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:31 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Virtually all bacteria is on the SURFACE of cuts of meat, so by being sure to get the exterior surfaces above 160 degrees F, you are pretty much assured to have killed most--if not all--of the bacteria.

GROUND meat is a different story. When you grind a cut of meat, you mix the exterior with the interior, therefore you have mixed the bacteria as well. You want to make sure that you cook ground meat so that the entire "patty" (inside and out) to at least 160 degrees. Therefore, you probably shouldn't eat GROUND meat with too much or any "pinkness".

Most food-borne illness gets introduced from counter surfaces, tables, hands, utensils, PLATES, etc. which have come into contact with raw meats be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.

I had a friend (a nurse, no less!) ask me to grill some pork steaks for her. So, I put them on the grill then came into the house and said that I needed a platter for the cooked steaks. She said "just use that one" (the platter that the raw meat was on!) So I quietly washed it and my hands with hot soap and water and went out to finish grilling and bring them in.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:27 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times
Looks like perfect medium rare to me. Great grill marks too . I like rare and sometimes even order extra rare if I think the cook doesn't know what he is doing . No worms here. I sure hope he didn't say that while you were eating.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:49 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Inform your friend about the little creatures that live in her eyelashes:

Eyelash Mites, Yes, You Do Have Them - tribe.net

Old 02-04-2014, 12:16 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Looks to me like it was rushed steak. You probably kept the meat in the fridge and straight to the grill.

A good thick steak needs to be rested in room temperature for an hour this way when you throw it on the grille it cooks more evenly.

Look at your steak, it's cooked on the outside but the inside is really raw not cooked evenly because the meat is still cold on the inside when you cook it.

If this was at diner, some people would send it back because it wasn't cooked evenly for them. They want the rare center but evenly.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Looks to me like it was rushed steak. You probably kept the meat in the fridge and straight to the grill.

A good thick steak needs to be rested in room temperature for an hour this way when you throw it on the grille it cooks more evenly.

Look at your steak, it's cooked on the outside but the inside is really raw not cooked evenly because the meat is still cold on the inside when you cook it.

If this was at diner, some people would send it back because it wasn't cooked evenly for them. They want the rare center but evenly.

I couldn't disagree with you more.

First, leaving the meat out for that long is a common myth.
Second, there are zillions of people that prefer their steak "cooked on the outside" but really rare inside...including myself. The last thing I would want is for the steak to cook "evenly".

The statement about some people sending it back in a diner can be said about any way something is cooked.

Lastly, I can cook a steak not only straight out of the refrigerator, but I can also cook it excellent...frozen.

When the steak is cold inside it allows you to really char the outside while keeping it rare inside...same with a frozen steak.

I imagine lots of people would disagree, of course! That's part of the beauty of cooking.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:37 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Your friend is nuts.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,607,521 times
Worms! ha ha! So your friend must like their worms well-done?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
To me it looks great but a personal preference is a hotter grill to sear the edges more. I bet it was delicious

Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM

61,727 posts, read 87,147,355 times
It is a little rare, but no blood, so perfect for me.
However, if you were cooking for your friend, you should ask how he would like it.
Some people want their meat medium or even medium well... It's their choice.
And no, no worms there! It's not a catfish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink