Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:31 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
My "bs" detector went off.

I have shopped at grocery stores in many small towns in the Midwest and south and have never heard those expressions used by the employees and even by a supervisor.

Just because a new thread is started and it includes the words...."true story"...does not mean I swallow it hook,line, and sinker.
Yeah, she's a bit of a drama queen, no doubt!

Old 03-01-2014, 02:33 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Whole Foods is great for their bulk bin. I don't even bother with their prepackaged lentils, rices, couscous, beans, cereals, etc anymore. I can get them all for much cheaper in the bulk bins - and MUCH MUCH cheaper than the equivalent in the grocery store.

I go online to check the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's flyers each week and typically can do much cheaper than the same items in the grocery store. Since I only eat organic, hormone free meat and dairy, I stock up when Whole Foods has a sale. And Whole Foods sells skyr (Icelandic cheese/yogurt) for cheaper than Target, and with more variety. Last week, I got 5 or 6 boxes of Whole Foods' falafel mix which is actually delicious - each box was $1.99 and I can get a few meals out of it.

Shopping at WF requires a bit more prep shopping with the sales, but there's no reason why it should cost more than the grocery store depending on what you're eating. I don't think I've even been to the normal grocery store in a few months by shopping WF and TJ's sales.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
The one thing we do not buy at Whole Foods is cheddar cheese. We eat a ton of it, and a friend often invites me tag along on trips to Costco, where I can find it in much larger quantities than are on the shelf at WF.

The bulk bins rock! The variety at my local store is extensive, including spices, grains, snacks, cereals, liquids (regular & flavored olive oils/vinegars, honey, maple syrup), nuts & nut butters, etc.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:09 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Why not just ask what row the bagged beans were in, than go through all that drama??
Another person who can't read and doesn't know biology well, to boot. Lentils aren't beans, so this connection is moot. It would be like asking where cucumbers are when you want zucchini. Both are produce, sure, but I doubt anyone would ask for one while meaning the other.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yesterday I decided to make a triple lentil soup. I happened to be working near a national grocery chain that has recently added a new section of healthier food items. This chain has widely advertised their new line of organic foods including whole grains and natural foods so I thought I would stop in and check it out.

I was unable to find lentils in the organic section so I asked an employee who was wearing a black vest and supervisor tag where I could find lentils.

She looked puzzled and said, "Find WHO??"

I repeated that I was looking for lentils and then she yelled across the store to another employee who was busy texting while standing at a register., "HEY DO WE GOT LENTILS????"

The second employee yelled back, "Them's in a CAN??"

I told the supervisor, no, they were in a bag. She shouted back, "Them's in a BAG!!!!" at the other employee, and they yelled back and forth a few times before deciding that they didn't have lentils. The supervisor helpfully added, "We got beans in aisle 14!"

So I walked around the store and eventually found red lentils next to the condiments. They were $4.29, and I needed two other vvarieties of lentils so I left and went to Whole Foods.

At Whole Foods an employee pleasantly greeted me and asked if she could help me find anything. She took me directly to several varieties and brands of lentils. I paid $2.29 for each bag, much cheaper than the chain grocery store was charging for the red lentils they did have.
I had a similar experience with an Indian grocery store when trying to find cous cous. someone suggested I try the place. Well, not only did she have no clue what they were she pretty much just stared at me with a blank look and finally let me to the rice.

Now, as for Whole foods, I think if you had tried Fresh Market or even Trader Joes you would have been abled to get what you wanted; maybe not, but don't put other specialty stores down, based on that one experience.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
Yeah, she's a bit of a drama queen, no doubt!
How would you know? Do you know OP personally? Why would you naturally assume she's a liar - just because another person said she might be?

Old 03-01-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And Whole Foods sells skyr (Icelandic cheese/yogurt) for cheaper than Target, and with more variety.
Speaking of... I tried skyr for the first time when WF started carrying it some years back. Though I love that it's rich in protein just like Greek yogurt, I just can't eat it - way too tart for my taste. For the same reason I have trouble with 0% Greek yogurt as well - just not mild enough, no matter what you mix it with.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I had a similar experience with an Indian grocery store when trying to find cous cous. someone suggested I try the place. Well, not only did she have no clue what they were she pretty much just stared at me with a blank look and finally let me to the rice.
Why would you go to an Indian store for couscous when it's not an Indian food???
Quote:
Now, as for Whole foods, I think if you had tried Fresh Market or even Trader Joes you would have been abled to get what you wanted; maybe not, but don't put other specialty stores down, based on that one experience.
I don't think anyone was putting specialty stores down. If anything, WF (like TJ's and Fresh Market, with the latter not being present in every state) is a specialty store and OP was extolling its virtues, so it would appear that your indignation is a bit misdirected.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 03-01-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Another person who can't read and doesn't know biology well, to boot. Lentils aren't beans, so this connection is moot. It would be like asking where cucumbers are when you want zucchini. Both are produce, sure, but I doubt anyone would ask for one while meaning the other.
I can read, and know they aren't technically beans. But they are displayed with bagged beans. Any idiot knows that...oh, whoops, guess not!

Old 03-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
How would you know? Do you know OP personally? Why would you naturally assume she's a liar - just because another person said she might be?
Glad you're so danged smart...and a bit of a smart---. Putting you on ignore, missy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink