Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 06:02 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times

Advertisements

How many times have you seen recipes on the Web or on Social Networks with comments that the recipe is so good or fantastic, but when you try the recipe the result is terrible.

Recently I tried a bread recipe which called for 5 to 6 cups of flour. After adding 4 cups I stopped as the dough was getting tough and couldn't be stirred or kneaded. The comments on the recipe was that the poster always used this recipe and had for years. I questioned the results in the comments, but got no reply. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use that recipe after seeing the result of my attempt.

I also tried a peanut butter cake with chocolate chips on top. The poster said it was a delicious cake and had won prizes. Whoa! When I made it, I felt the taste was not one I wanted in my mouth. My cake didn't look anything like the photos posted with the recipe.

I'm thinking that a lot of persons post other person's recipes without trying the recipe and must be making up the positive comments.

I love seeing "tried and true" recipes on this site and value other person's opinions of their results, but I sure don't like it when I try a recipe and it turns out to be awful. I'm an experienced and trained chef so I don't think it's my talents going astray. I remember a wonderful poster named Laura who used to post her recipes she used on a riverboat, and never did I find anything wrong with her recipes! She was a gem and I wish her health had allowed her to continue to post here. I miss those recipes and wish others would post their "tried and true" recipes and tell us that, but try to avoid telling us that when they haven't even tried the recipe.

Has anyone else experienced these type of situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I have experienced similar results.....many of the recipes that get all star reviews.....are really mediocre at best. I have a few sites that I trust.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:22 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Actually this has happened to me quite a few times mostly from allrecipes and food.com but I make a rule for myself on any recipe even if it failed miserably the first attempt.

I will always attempt a recipe at least three times before giving up.

I also research each dish from several sites to make sure it is authentic as possible, foodnetwork is notorious for really NOT making the authentic old school version of a ethnic dish.

In regards to that bread recipe, I think what happened in that case was the measure utensil that was used misrepresented the actual measure. For instance a family friend that taught me how to make con gri (red beans and rice dish) would use a old coffee cup as a measure which was no where near what 8 ounces would be, but more of 6 oz but he could not doing it any other way but with that old coffee/tea cup.

If I could write the recipe for my signature dish I couldn't because it is all eyeball and instinct after 25 years of making it every Sunday.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
chick, I think I made that same bread recipe. It didn't resemble any bread I have ever made in the past.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
I sort the comments ratings from worse to best. And I read them, at least 20 of them. I also compare the recipes to several other sites to make sure the ratios are similar.

As for the bread with the flour, when they say up to 5 cups, or give a range, it depends on the humidity in your area. Some areas of the world need that full 5 cups where as other only need 3. I noticed a huge difference from when I lived in FL and here in NC as to how much flour I need. You need to look at the dough and as soon as it's forming into a dough ball, stop. Then just add a touch till it isn't sticky. (if it says it's supposed to be not sticky)

But the rest of the recipes? I know! I hate when reviewers rate it 5 stars but did a million changes to make it work. Um no that's not a five star recipe to begin with!

Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I too have learned to use only recipes where there are many reviews. I print out the recipe which appeals to me and then read all the reviews and make notations as I go. Some folks give a recipe 5 stars and then proceed to say they added 5 different extra spices, exchanges this for that and cooked it at a different temp for a different time---and oh boy is this a good recipe. What?

Because of my failing eyesight I can't use cook books anymore and rely only on web recipes I can print at 20 font. Even then the girls are right there with me to peel garlic and to do some fine hand things I can't manage.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Something that is clear to me is that the modern palate, trained by eating meals at Mickie Dee's is not the same as my palate. I find that new recipes often contain a gagging amount of sugar and salt. That tastes good to some people, but not to me.

I try to judge the recipe to make sure the ingredient list looks reasonable. Then I make it, very carefully, exactly as it is written. Then I make notes about how I want to change it. If it is beyond help, I throw it out.

Often, reducing the sugar or upping the seasonings will give me a usable recipe.

One of my pet peeves is all the reviews that say things like it was wonderful. I used turkey instead of beef, took out the butter, added mushrooms and some pickled beets, and baked it instead of frying it. Gee, thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:42 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I can see from the comments that I'm not the only one with these feelings about web recipes. Thanks for responding folks.

I also try to only use a web recipe with a ton of comments. But from my experience lately, I need to have even more comments that are positive and not those which change the recipe. Wonder why people change the recipe from the beginning before they even start? Although I have been guilty of cutting the oil content by using 1/2 the oil and replacing it with applesauce so maybe I am wrong in questioning why someone changes the recipe at the start. And, there are times when I cut the sugar in the recipe by at least 1/4 cup or more if the sugar is a large amount.

I sincerely hope to see more "Tried and True" recipes on this CD food forum. I love to try new recipes, but hesitate when someone posts a web site with a recipe they've found. Who knows what that recipe will be like if someone I trust on this site hasn't tried it first. I try at least two new recipes a week so we don't become bored eaters.

Happy Cooking all. Thanks again for responding. Keep the comments coming.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:26 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have learned the hard way that just because a recipe is on the internet, doesn't make it reliable. We who are seasoned cooks can pretty much taste a recipe just by reading the ingredients. Honestly, I picture some trapped housewife in a trailer park, sitting in her bathrobe making up recipes for her 15 minutes of fame.

I look at internet recipes by individuals as a place to get ideas, then I go to an old reliable cookbook to get a recipe. Like today I bought some brie and I went to the internet to find out how to heat it and serve it. My past experiences with brie have been disappointing, so I'm giving it another try. I learned a lot I didn't know, and I feel like I'll be giving it a fair shot this time.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:12 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I have experienced similar results.....many of the recipes that get all star reviews.....are really mediocre at best. I have a few sites that I trust.
Care to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink