Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
DH's high school class reunions are always held at the school (he graduated from a Seventh Day Adventist boarding academy) and the reunion dinner is always pot luck. It was there many years ago that I was introduced to an unappetizing flatulent concoction known as the "hay stack"...which is a standard fixture at all SDA potlucks I've ever been to. It's a layer of corn chips, then refried beans, then a layer of soy protein imitation ground beef, then vegan cheese shreds, lettuce, salsa or chopped tomato, and topped with vegan sour cream. I've never had "pickle pennies", but I'd take them over a "hay stack" any day.
That sounds like an attempt to copy Frito Pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:27 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
On the up side I once worked on night shift and one of our older ladies brought in bbq chicken, black eyed peas and a couple of other things for us on New Year's Eve. She wasn't even working that night. It was much appreciated.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:43 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
DH's high school class reunions are always held at the school (he graduated from a Seventh Day Adventist boarding academy) and the reunion dinner is always pot luck. It was there many years ago that I was introduced to an unappetizing flatulent concoction known as the "hay stack"...which is a standard fixture at all SDA potlucks I've ever been to. It's a layer of corn chips, then refried beans, then a layer of soy protein imitation ground beef, then vegan cheese shreds, lettuce, salsa or chopped tomato, and topped with vegan sour cream. I've never had "pickle pennies", but I'd take them over a "hay stack" any day.
That sounds like the ubiquitous "seven layer dip" at our office potlucks, except for the vegan part.

Does anyone here think that the number of homemade vs. purchased items at a potluck has to do with the existing relationships between the people participating? I've only really encountered potlucks at work, but it sounds like the women in gentlearts's group and people in church communities have more close-knit ties than what passes as your average "team" at work. I'd assume that people in these groups have been to one another's houses, know each other's spouses, etc. Just speaking for myself, I know that I'm more inclined to put more effort into a dish that I make for my friends than for co-workers I don't know that well. And the non-work potlucks seem like they'd be more voluntary than forced, if that makes any sense.

For example, in the offices where I've worked, someone in management unilaterally decides that we're going to have a potluck as some "team-building" thing, or an incentive where the losing team has to have a potluck for the winning team (okay, so they are already acknowledging in a way that most of the people participating think work potlucks are a PITA). So, our team, which is just a bunch of people that happen to work for the same manager, get the sign up sheet. As I said in a previous post, there are two people that bring their usual dish, and everyone else jockeys for the cups, plates, chips and soda categories, or gets something from the store. Nine times out of ten, we don't actually get time to enjoy the potluck food as we eat it on our scheduled breaks, the food's been sitting there at room temperature for hours, and is picked over by the time I get to eat any of it. So, it's a poorly planned experience where, essentally, we are paying for our own incentives and "morale" boosters.

I also found this link when doing a search on office potlucks. I swear my friend could have written it.

Why I Hate Potluck Days At Work

I almost died when I got to the part about the woman who lets her pet rat sit on the counter while she cooks.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I've only really encountered potlucks at work, but it sounds like the women in gentlearts's group and people in church communities have more close-knit ties than what passes as your average "team" at work. I'd assume that people in these groups have been to one another's houses, know each other's spouses, etc.Just speaking for myself, I know that I'm more inclined to put more effort into a dish that I make for my friends than for co-workers I don't know that well. And the non-work potlucks seem like they'd be more voluntary than forced, if that makes any sense.
Although I feel forced at any type of pot-luck, I can't do it half-assed. If I don't make something good, there won't be anything for me to eat because I usually don't like the food other people bring. Apparently most people feel the same about the other food since I've never taken a dish that wasn't eaten.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Although I feel forced at any type of pot-luck, I can't do it half-assed. If I don't make something good, there won't be anything for me to eat because I usually don't like the food other people bring. Apparently most people feel the same about the other food since I've never taken a dish that wasn't eaten.
I'll admit to being one of the people that brings something from the store. I'm not the chips and dip person, but I'll usually bring some sort of dessert. There are several reasons that I do this.

Several years ago, I decided to take baked ziti to a work pot luck. I severely underestimated the preparation time and spent way more time making this ziti than I had anticipated. Then the process of getting the food in the car, setting it up, bringing the casserole dish and serving utensils back home - I just found it to be a pain. A friend of mine, who knew I brought in the ziti, decided to joke with me and said "This ziti is horrible!" I thought he was being serious at first and I wanted to slap him. Apparently, someone liked it, because it was all gone when I went over to eat some. I know the point is to eat other people's dishes and not just your own, but still...

Most of the things that I like to eat and prepare are either not conducive to potlucks (soups, stews), or are items that most people aren't used to. I can make an orzo with mint dish that's fairly easy to prepare, all it contains is cooked orzo, olive oil, garbanzo beans, green onions, dried mint, salt, and pepper. Thing is, people hear "mint" and think it's going to taste like mouthwash. I also like making things like Thai cucumber salad, but can appreciate that not everyone can tolerate the chiles or crushed peanuts. I don't want to bring in something that other people may find off-putting.

I have three cats. The baked ziti I took to the work pot luck was pre-cats. I'm the kind of person that ties my hair back and washes my hands a lot throughout the cooking process. However, no matter how fastidious I may be about the cat hair, there are times that I've found a stray cat hair on my plate. And they don't jump on the counters or anything. I would be mortified if someone found a cat hair in something that I took to a potluck.

Can you tell that I have a lot of paranoia surrounding potlucks? LOL

Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I'll admit to being one of the people that brings something from the store. I'm not the chips and dip person, but I'll usually bring some sort of dessert. There are several reasons that I do this.

Several years ago, I decided to take baked ziti to a work pot luck. I severely underestimated the preparation time and spent way more time making this ziti than I had anticipated. Then the process of getting the food in the car, setting it up, bringing the casserole dish and serving utensils back home - I just found it to be a pain. A friend of mine, who knew I brought in the ziti, decided to joke with me and said "This ziti is horrible!" I thought he was being serious at first and I wanted to slap him. Apparently, someone liked it, because it was all gone when I went over to eat some. I know the point is to eat other people's dishes and not just your own, but still...

Most of the things that I like to eat and prepare are either not conducive to potlucks (soups, stews), or are items that most people aren't used to. I can make an orzo with mint dish that's fairly easy to prepare, all it contains is cooked orzo, olive oil, garbanzo beans, green onions, dried mint, salt, and pepper. Thing is, people hear "mint" and think it's going to taste like mouthwash. I also like making things like Thai cucumber salad, but can appreciate that not everyone can tolerate the chiles or crushed peanuts. I don't want to bring in something that other people may find off-putting.

I have three cats. The baked ziti I took to the work pot luck was pre-cats. I'm the kind of person that ties my hair back and washes my hands a lot throughout the cooking process. However, no matter how fastidious I may be about the cat hair, there are times that I've found a stray cat hair on my plate. And they don't jump on the counters or anything. I would be mortified if someone found a cat hair in something that I took to a potluck.

Can you tell that I have a lot of paranoia surrounding potlucks? LOL

I have four cats. I banish them from the kitchen at home, but anything I bake or cook for friends, give as gifts, or take to a potluck, I prepare in the kitchen in back of my daughter's business. It's an unused commercial kitchen (the building had once been a social hall) that's still annually health inspected, and it's animal free and very clean. I also follow the hygiene procedures I use at work (I'm a cafeteria cook) - keep my hair confined and wear food prep gloves. No worries.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:10 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What's wrong with having meat dishes at a pot luck? I'm confused.
?? I don't think anyone indicated that they couldn't have meat dishes at a pot luck, unless you are referring to the woman who mentioned the SDA potluck. Most "Sabbath-keepers" are vegetarian.

We Episcopalians most certainly do have meat dishes at our potlucks, and we do so at work, too.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Someone mentioned earlier on the thread that they live (or visit? I can't remember) in a retirement community that does frequent potlucks, and that the potlucks are usually attended by people who rarely eat meat dishes. I think the comment was about that specific situation, that a meat dish would be a rare thing at that particular potluck. Not that it's weird to bring meat to a potluck overall.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
I used to run the food operation of a hospital with a SDA hospital nearby. It was a major selling point that we served meat dishes an the like to our patients.

The fake meat - whether tofurkey, soy burgers, or some of the SDA meat substitutes - turned me off toward vegetarian entrees for years. Fortunately, I met some Indians who prepared some great vegetable curries that were excellent.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
I've never been to a potluck or funeral lunch or anything that had any of these horror stories! Of course I work at a church, AND we are "Midwest Nice", so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink