Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

I buy Promised Land 1/2 gal milk, and it stays in a fridge fresh for a week or longer (open container). If you can't consume your milk in a week, then you might need to buy less.
Also check your fridge temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
We buy organic milk because it usually has a longer exp. date. Also, Fairlife milk (not organic) has a longer date and has 13 grams of protein per cup.
Most Organic milk is not much better than regular, because ultra pasteurization removes much of the healthy enzymes in milk that is good for you. You're basically drinking water and some lactose and Vitamin D additives. The same as drinking orange juice that are pasteurized.

Consider getting organic milk that is normally pasteurized and not ultra.

Don't bother overpaying for Fairlife just for the small amounts of protein which can be easily found in an egg which is whey protein that is better for you.

Too much marketing gimmicks in the food industry.

Better just to eat Australian or greek yogurt than use milk. Those are much more nutrient dense sources of protein and vitamins than a cup of milk.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:37 PM

189 posts, read 176,495 times
I prefer unsweetened almond milk for everything. Latte, mashed potatoes, chicken pot pie. mmm. Some brands are better than others, but the trick is to buy unsweetened, no vanilla,

Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Rice milk is bland to me. Same w/ almond, but almond has lots of calcium. Only one I really like is Soy, tastes nutty. Great on cereal. I like Silk Unsweetened, regular, not vanilla.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I find almond milk lasts an incredibly long time in the fridge, and since it comes in a smaller package than cow squeezin's and I rarely use milk for anything but baking, it would probably be my go-to even if dairy didn't make me break out in welts.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:55 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am sick of throwing so much milk away. I am wondering if some of the shelf stable soy or almond, etc. milks would be a better choice. Just today, I went to have some cereal, and the milk (sale date yesterday) was sour.
If you use alternative "milk", can it be used in recipes like cow's milk, such as in a white sauce? Do you like it just as well as the old fashioned kind on cereal?
I don't know anything about alternative milk, but if not having to throw the milk away is your concern, how much are you buying at a time? Is milk still sold in Pint sizes? Also, when at the store, do you check the containers in the back of the shelf which may be newer as indicated by a later expiration date?

Or what about using dry milk? You could just mix up enough for your near term use. I'm not sure though how long the powder in the box stays good once the box has been opened.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I use almond milk or cashew milk on cereal. It's good. There is also coconut milk and a thicker coconut cream my vegan daughter uses for cooking. For some thinsight it works better than others.

It does last longer, but I agree that your milk shouldn't be going bad one day after the date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
I prefer unsweetened almond milk for everything. Latte, mashed potatoes, chicken pot pie. mmm. Some brands are better than others, but the trick is to buy unsweetened, no vanilla,
I only use unsweetened almond milk (no vanilla) for my cereal and pretty much lots of other things, though I've not tried it much for savory foods. I find it is the closest to the fat free milk I'm used to. However, I won't use it in my hot tea. For some reason, it doesn't taste right, which is odd considering almond milk tastes fine to me in tons of other things.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
That occurred to me after I had done my previous post - it could also be the refrigeration at the store you're purchasing it at - you might want to bring it to their attention as well. Milk should NOT be going sour one day after it's Sell By date.

I have found that milk freshness depends on the grocery chain and the market.

For example, when i was in Chicagoland, I could use milk from Aldi for 8-10 past the due date. In Cincinnati, my father is lucky to get 3-5 days past due from Aldi milk.

In Tucson, I use half & half for my coffee. If I buy it at Safeway, the milk turns about one day after the "sell by date". The Kroger's affiliate's half & half generally lasts 10 days after the expiration.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am sick of throwing so much milk away. I am wondering if some of the shelf stable soy or almond, etc. milks would be a better choice. Just today, I went to have some cereal, and the milk (sale date yesterday) was sour.
If you use alternative "milk", can it be used in recipes like cow's milk, such as in a white sauce? Do you like it just as well as the old fashioned kind on cereal?
You can freeze milk if you have too much. If you buy a gallon jug, for example just take out a cup to give space for expansion and then put in your freezer. I imagine you could transfer to smaller containers as needed, just be sure to leave at least 10% space.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I keep several boxes of shelf milk for emergencies. It comes in quart and toddler drink size. SO wanted cereal this morning which has not happened in months! It seems to keep longer in the fridge once opened then normal milk.

I also freeze milk in cup size containers.
I used to freeze milk. When it looked as though I wasn't going to use it before it soured, I froze it in 8 ounce portions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink