Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times

Advertisements

Today I was doing some research (on another topic entirely) and found a fabulous website on the history of kitchens prior to and after the turn of the 20th century. It really put things in perspective for me on a day when I was feeling a little worn out by food prep. Enjoy ladies and gents!

Historic Cooking School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:36 PM

This quote, which can be found on the 1890s kitchen page, left me exhausted just reading it...

Quote:
In 1895 a farmer's wife produced for her family of six:
325 loaves of bread,
83 tins of biscuits,
15 loaves of brown bread,
267 pies,
130 cakes,
35 puddings,
114 dozen cookies,
108 dozen ginger snaps, and
14 chicken pies.
Nor does this include the meats and vegetables.
I plan to post it on my refrigerator, followed by

"WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING?"

Old 07-07-2014, 08:52 AM

144 posts, read 184,810 times
I think all work should end at a certain time of day, yeh? As a woman I'd rather be doing housework than yardwork or going out in the god-awful heat and sun. Besides, I love cooking.^^ I think it's an art form that should be done out of love.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
I think all work should end at a certain time of day, yeh? As a woman I'd rather be doing housework than yardwork or going out in the god-awful heat and sun. Besides, I love cooking.^^ I think it's an art form that should be done out of love.
But, historically, the kitchen has been hotter than outdoors. (Hence the quote ~ "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen".)

Keeping a fire in the fireplace or cookstove suitable for cooking and baking and keeping the irons hot and heating water in a time before air conditioning while wearing corsets and multiple petticoats was horrible.

Besides cooking and cleaning, the food harvested in summer had to be preserved for future seasons of eating, so you were canning or pickling or making preserves. Everything that was washed on Mondays, had to be ironed on Tuesdays. Even sheets were ironed in the days before permanent press. Before electric irons, there were irons made from cast iron that had to be heated in the fireplace or on the cookstove. The stove/fire had to be really hot, all day, to get all of the ironing done. Even in summer. Bread had to baked every week. Even in summer. Water had to be heated for washing dishes and weekly baths. Even in summer.

Glad that I live in modern times.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM

What did you think of the website? I thought it was an amazing treasure-trove of information. I kept finding new and interesting things every time I clicked. I especially liked the lists of each decade's recipes. I remember hearing the term Apple Charlotte ...on Downton Abbey, maybe?... and wondering what it was. The recipe reminded me an awful lot of what know as Apple Crisp. I also liked the list of commercial products from each decade. I had no idea that Tootsie Rolls are more than a century old!

Last edited by randomparent; 07-07-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 01:51 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
Love the website. Like you implied, it will take a good while to absorb it all. Good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink