Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,715,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Clearly, you missed the point.

I'm not asking about personal preference, caloric needs, or tolerances. I'm only wondering what constitutes juice vs. flavored water in most people's minds. If one has to add sugars or artificial sweeteners, coloring, etc. what's the difference?

I don't mind plain water, and certainly drink it. When it comes to seltzer water, I don't mind flavored varieties as long as they're only a hint of flavoring, and not sweet; otherwise I'd buy soda.
That is why you read labels and choose what drinks work for you. I still don't get your concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,057,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I believe there is a legal definition of what gets labeled "juice," and it's a certain percentage of actual fruit or vegetable juices vs. water, flavorings, etc.
Yet some juices don't contain any actual fruit or vegetables. (i.e. Little Hug drinks, Koolaid packets, etc.)

Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
That is why you read labels and choose what drinks work for you. I still don't get your concern.
It's the labeling that doesn't make sense, anymore.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:48 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,715,750 times
Quote:
...They're not different (anymore), that's my point.
Everything I see at the store is well marked on their labels with the percentage (if any) of juice a drink has....as well as everything else. I don't buy many juice products....sometimes some 100% fruit juice for cocktails...normally I use our sodastream with tap water...sometimes add a squirt of mio (or something like it) if I want a bit of favor......so I really don't get you angst here.

What more do you want? Drink what works for you....thankfully things are well labeled....all you have to do is look.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
I'm only wondering what constitutes juice vs. flavored water in most people's minds.
Isn't fruit juice 100% juice, and anything less considered a fruit cocktail or fruit drink? Like those Capri Suns, or the cranberry cocktail drinks that have added sugar? I would think flavored water is less then 5% juice, so no where close to even being a fruit cocktail which are probably closer to 50%-75% juice.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Everything I see at the store is well marked on their labels with the percentage (if any) of juice a drink has....as well as everything else. I don't buy many juice products....sometimes some 100% fruit juice for cocktails...normally I use our sodastream with tap water...sometimes add a squirt of mio (or something like it) if I want a bit of favor......so I really don't get you angst here.

What more do you want? Drink what works for you....thankfully things are well labeled....all you have to do is look.
I am going to do what's best for me. I'm just asking what others think. If one is "water" another is "juice" yet the sugar (or substitute) content is the same, it might as well be labeled the same.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Isn't fruit juice 100% juice, and anything less considered a fruit cocktail or fruit drink? Like those Capri Suns, or the cranberry cocktail drinks that have added sugar? I would think flavored water is less then 5% juice, so no where close to even being a fruit cocktail which are probably closer to 50%-75% juice.
Not all "juices" are fruit juice, however; and I noted a couple have no fruit. I'm also trying to figure these things out myself.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Yet some juices don't contain any actual fruit or vegetables. (i.e. Little Hug drinks, Koolaid packets, etc.)
Kool Aid is not juice. It is a flavored drink mix and does not say anything about juice anywhere on the package.

Not sure what Little Hug is, but I looked it up and the packaging even says contains no fruit juice. Its considered a soft drink.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Not all "juices" are fruit juice, however; and I noted a couple have no fruit. I'm also trying to figure these things out myself.
To be considered a fruit juice it has to be 100% fruit juice. It can't be fruit juice if it contains no fruit (or vegetable).

Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 AM

709 posts, read 956,807 times
Sounds like OP is a toddler. "I want my juice box". just because a colored drink is called juice by children does not make it juice. Kool Aid is juice? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink