Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 03:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I grew up in Ohio and during Lent, it seemed there was a fish fry on every corner. The churches, the VFW halls, the fire departments; everywhere. I moved around a bit after that and years later settled in DFW. I couldn't find a fish fry anywhere. I wondered if this was just something that wasn't done there, or if they had simply faded away. Are they still common in other parts of the country?
The number of fish frys in an area is directly proportional to the number of Catholics in the area. I will say that there are great fish Fry's and very mediocre ones in Northern Illinois and SE Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
elston, you are right

the fish fry's were Friday nights and baked beans on Saturday night

in high school, when I was dating a sweet catholic girl, they had fish on fridays

Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Yea the good ole days. I grew up in the New England area and most everyone had fish on Friday. I think that's why McDonalds came up with the filet o fish sandwich.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Yea the good ole days. I grew up in the New England area and most everyone had fish on Friday. I think that's why McDonalds came up with the filet o fish sandwich.
In Cincinnati, in the early Sixties, a McDonald's franchise opened a restaurant in the highly Catholic area of Western Hills. On his first Lenten Friday, sales were $0.69 for the day.

The franchisee complained to McDonald's for a fried fish sandwich. They refused. They did offer him a fried pineapple sandwich (I am not making this up.). That was a total flop. They eventually, a year later, offered what is now the Filet of Fish sandwich.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
I grew up in Ohio and during Lent, it seemed there was a fish fry on every corner. The churches, the VFW halls, the fire departments; everywhere. I moved around a bit after that and years later settled in DFW. I couldn't find a fish fry anywhere. I wondered if this was just something that wasn't done there, or if they had simply faded away. Are they still common in other parts of the country?
Depends on the area of the country. Fish frys are a pretty big deal in St. Louis. We go to a different one every week during Lent, and in the past 3 years we've only gone to the same one twice (although that might change this year since we found one last year that was amazing). So there is a big variety of fish fries here, and everyone we go to is busy. The local news stations even have a fish fry finder on their websites during Lent. And some of the news stations and radio stations even advertise a different fish fry that they themselves go to each week.

Now I'm really wishing it was lent

Old 09-05-2014, 07:42 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Every Friday at the Seaside Grill in Seal Beach Calif. on Main Street just down from the pier has a great Haddock Fish and chips for $9.00. It's a favorite of the locals and the place is packed from opening hour to closing as it is among the best I've ever tasted on the So. California coast.
The only other place I've been to that had an equivilent was at the Lil' Hut in Morro Bay.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The number of fish frys in an area is directly proportional to the number of Catholics in the area. I will say that there are great fish Fry's and very mediocre ones in Northern Illinois and SE Wisconsin.
^^This^^ I do love the Wisconsin and Illinois Perch Fries.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:04 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I grew up in a NJ town of ~40,000 that had a large Scottish population, folks whose families had come to work in thread mills in the 1800s. In the '50s there must have been at least 12-15 English style 'chippies' in town. Having been raised Catholic I probably had fish & chips at least 40 times a year and at the time, IIRC it was less than $1.00 for a large paper plate of fish & chips. I still love it and have access to 2 places making some pretty decent versions, albeit a bit more than $1.00.

Last edited by burdell; 09-05-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 12:04 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I had fish n chips takeout last night, Thursday. I never heard of it being called fish fry. When I was a kid the Catholics had fish on Friday but I never knew what kind--I guess I figured they had a tuna fish casserole or something like that.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
I usually skipped the fish and just got a large portion of chips on a Friday night. Ah fond memories of me and my brother running down the road to the chinese take away (they did excellent chips) to a portion of chips with "lots and lots of salt and lots and lots of vinegar"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink