Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,454,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Sbarros is still around despite going bankrupt several times.

I was surprised to see Little Caesars when moving to a new region. I assumed they just closed down. Yeah, their new business model of deep dish or traditional pizzas, pepperoni or cheese, and some drinks and breadsticks really streamlined operations it seems

I didn't even realize Sbarro went bankrupt. Yeah, they are not that good.... (maybe why they are only in mall food courts, well at least the ones I've seen!) I've been to a few that were better, but overall - I'm surprised they are around!

Yeah, it seems Little Casears is making a come back, and new locations popping up which is good for them. It is not the greatest pizza, but for something quick, simple and you and hungry - it's good for that! Although, i do love the crazy bread and the Italian bread.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 AM

16,398 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I didn't even realize Sbarro went bankrupt. Yeah, they are not that good.... (maybe why they are only in mall food courts, well at least the ones I've seen!) I've been to a few that were better, but overall - I'm surprised they are around!
Sbarro has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy twice in the past five years or so. They have two problems, IMO. First, due to their set up, they have pizza sitting there for hours. As a customer, all I am thinking is "will I be getting a fresh slice or has that pizza been there for three hours?". Second, their business is concentrated in mall locations. If you look around, customer counts in most malls are down 20-40% from twenty years ago.

My major objection to Sbarro is that the location in Chicago's Oglivie Transportation Center would NOT make any fresh food after 4 pm meaning that all the food was not fresh and they would allow the food to run out long before closing. I used to like to pick up something to eat on the train home.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,455,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
No it's not. Here's my top 10:
10. In-N-Out
That would be much higher on my best list. I love In-N-Out but I think part of the appeal is I live in an area where there isn't one so when I do get to have it, it's still a novelty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wendy's and Arby's was missing.....so make it a top 13 list! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hey now, don't go dissing Arby's. Although I haven't had one in years (veggie now), I grew up eating Arby's roast beef sandwiches with horseradish sauce. Yum!
I used to love Arby's. Regular roast beef with horsey and BBQ sauce? YUM! However, a couple of years ago, I became violently ill and learned I'm allergic to Baker's yeast so no more sandwiches for me. Actually, most fast food is out for me now because a lot of processed foods have yeast or yeast extract in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
KFC blows.
The one closest to me always feels dirty. The last time I was in there (several years ago now), they didn't have any popcorn chicken thawed out to cover the dinner rush. And the manager, a guy in his 30's-40's, was bemoaning to the two teenaged girls working there something about his girlfriend that sounded like she'd hit him with a domestic violence claim. Classy. I do like their mashed potatoes and biscuits though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
My favorite chain would be Boston Market based on how good their creamed spinach and sweet potato is. The rest of their food is mediocre to bad, but damn, the sweet potato is mad GOOD
I wish we still had Boston Market here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
This bolded part is the truth. There was no fast food in my area until I was about 12. Then a McDonalds opened. We went to try it and as soon as I got outside after eating it came back up. Maybe it was the mustard and ketchup together on the burger or just poor ingredients but I never developed a taste for fast food after that.
I can't eat their salads without throwing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
Are they anywhere other than mall food courts and maybe some airports?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 PM

38,935 posts, read 22,939,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The rest I either never eat (i.e. most of the pizza places), or could take or leave, but Church's Chicken is AWESOME.
I agree! I live about a mile down the street from a Church's and every now and then I like to stop by after work on Tuesdays and take advantage of the .75 cent leg and thigh special.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 PM

335 posts, read 410,397 times
I agree with one poster McDonalds coffee is the only thing I dare to order there as their so- called food is seemingly engineered. KFC chicken is slime and confirms that life exists on other planets. Arby's just discontinued its brisket and great chicken sandwich /wrap option ....see you in another 20 years ! Sonic ....please. Taco Bell has some new good selections I love the grillers as they are delicious and you won't die as quickly. Checkers chicken sandwich is a good deal and that's about it. Panda Express what is that? In fairness haven't tried it. Churches chicken .....yuk. White Castle not Bad. Red Robin a middle class la la land where yuppies demand spending too much for a so so burger. Starbucks an overpriced overrated shop cleverly offering terribly bitter swill coffee seemingly to drive folks into an addiction of expensive unhealthy lattes and frappes. Wendy's not bad and maybe those frosty's really are diary? They have great chili, baked potato, wraps. Never cared for their burgers Burger King has good burgers other than that haven't a clue. Five Guys exaggerated burger, but great fries and free shelled peanuts! Until you live in rural areas where fresh meat is available you will never taste a real burger.

Last edited by Inattentive; 09-12-2014 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,445,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
sorry lemme translate for my canadian friend

" I sometimes patronize the poultry establishment commonly known as churchs chicken, they offer quite an array of fried poultry along with excellent side items, the honey butter biscuits in particular are quite delicious."

lol

Kinda reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9CLB5bdOqQ

Luv a, welts, but I thought it was funny.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 PM

90 posts, read 109,316 times
It is very typical and easy to say bad things about the chains.
There are far worse mom and pop restaurants everywhere in any city.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:42 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,483,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sbarro has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy twice in the past five years or so. They have two problems, IMO. First, due to their set up, they have pizza sitting there for hours. As a customer, all I am thinking is "will I be getting a fresh slice or has that pizza been there for three hours?". Second, their business is concentrated in mall locations. If you look around, customer counts in most malls are down 20-40% from twenty years ago.
I thought this depended on the mall itself... I've seen some run down malls just have market forces take its course. Some of the better or otherwise more upscale ones seem to get plenty of foot traffic, although it's possible if profits are going down, I wouldn't know of it anyways. Kind to think of it, I don't believe I've seen a Sbarro in a more upscale mall.

They've been in business malls, airports, and rest stops for sure too though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
My major objection to Sbarro is that the location in Chicago's Oglivie Transportation Center would NOT make any fresh food after 4 pm meaning that all the food was not fresh and they would allow the food to run out long before closing. I used to like to pick up something to eat on the train home.
Yeah, that's another thing that bugged me about Sbarro was that even though having the pizza out and ready was good for rushes, just how long did they leave 'em out there? Would they really try to press it after 3 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
The one closest to me always feels dirty. The last time I was in there (several years ago now), they didn't have any popcorn chicken thawed out to cover the dinner rush. And the manager, a guy in his 30's-40's, was bemoaning to the two teenaged girls working there something about his girlfriend that sounded like she'd hit him with a domestic violence claim. Classy. I do like their mashed potatoes and biscuits though.
Been to a KFC where they only had wings, thighs and biscuits. Wanted to pick up one of those $2.50 fill up boxes as an impulse snack, and that was stopped cold by that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I can't eat their salads without throwing up.

Are they anywhere other than mall food courts and maybe some airports?
I hear McDonalds salads uses a surprisingly high amount of chemicals and stuff that ain't natural, so that could be it.

I've seen Sbarro at food courts of rest stops in the midatlantic tri-state area, along I95. Also seen them in a business mall, which also had shopping, so I think that still counts as a bit of a commercial mall, even though they weren't in a food court.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:06 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,219,715 times
Default What is your worst fast food experience?

What was your worst fast food experience

Service?
Food taste ?
food poisoning?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,746,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
What was your worst fast food experience

Service?
Food taste ?
food poisoning?
All of fast food is dead to me. I do not consider them in my food selection anymore. If I want something on the cheap I will go to the grocery store and pick up a cooked chicken and some fruit/veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink