Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I think it was mentioned but not really talked about. I also wouldn't be surprised if some believe food deserts are a myth. Or that those people should just and move to somewhere with better access to food.

I learned about them from the documentary "A Place at the Table."

Ironically, September is hunger awareness month so this is a timely discussion.
It was discussed earlier, at which time various posters asserted that it is an outright lie and that such access issues do not exist and are mythic part of the liberal agenda. Or something like that.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:25 PM

293 posts, read 310,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
They should also be wearing sackcloth and ashes apparently
Uh oh, guys, if poor people can't choose what they want to eat, what kind of evil society are we? LMAO

Gotta loooove the activists.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Some people don't like to drink nothing but water. So it is a better alternative then going out and buying soda. A pitcher of tea costs me 16 cents to make. A 2 liter soda is going to cost at least 6 times that much.
Yeah, but if they're actually poor, then people generally make choices to cut out luxuries. Tea is a luxury. That's the point, people don't actually grasp any of this any more because we have a group of people who say that poor people should not be impacted by their poverty. Like if I point out that some supposedly destitute person has a cell phone, it's like "so?" Um ...so ...then they're not poor. And then someone like JrzDefector will charge onto the scene and go "so you're saying a poor person shouldn't have a cell phone??" Uh ...yeah, that's generally how it works.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I volunteer for the local food bank on a regular basis. It's the main distribution center for the food pantries in Oregon and SW WA. We can't accept anything that is homemade or doesn't have ingredients listed.
Same with our regional food depository. It also won't take anything that isn't shelf-stable, period.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,854 times
Quote:
Looking at the ads for some of the grocery stores...

One store in the area is having a BOGO sale...
2 5lbs Russet Potatoes- $2.99
2 3lbs yellow onions- $2.99
2 2lb trays campari tomatoes- $2.99

Gala/Golden Delicious apples- 98 cents a lb
Red/Green Bartlett pears- 98 cents a lb
tomatoes on the vine- 98 cents a lb
100% whole grain wheat bread- 1.29

Another store...
chicken breast- 1.88lb
5lb russet pototes- 98 cents
3lb bag yellow onions- 98 cents
store brand wheat sandwich bread - 99 cents
carrots - $1 lb

Another store...
peaches 49 cents lb
Gold/ Jonathon Apples- 3lb for $1
grapes- 98 cents lb
red/yellow/orange bell peppers- 98 cents each
green beans- 98 cents lb
tomato on the vine- 98 cents lb
celery 98 cents
organic red/green leaf lettuce- 1.49
organic acorn/butternut/spaghetti squash- 1.48 lb
boneless skinless chicken breast 1.97 lb
10 oz grape tomatoes- 98 cents

Aldi...

Grapes- 79 cents lb
3 lb yellow onion- 89 cents
5 lb red potatoes- $1.69
cabbage- 69 cents each
I got greek yogurt there last week 49 cents, an avocado for 39 cents, package of 8 Roma tomatoes for 54 cents... a lot of times bananas are 22 cents a lb.

Sorry, I'm not much of a meat eater, so I don't really know what good prices are for meat to quote those prices. I feel like I"m going to say 2.99 boneless pork chops and someones going to claim "highway robbery" and not care that you can get such a good variety of fruits and vegetables for so cheap.
In Ohio I paid $1.29 lb for chicken at my discount grocery. In SC I pay about $1.45 lb at my regular designer grocery store.

I have a lb of chicken and fresh veggies n the crock pot now and that will feed the 2 of us a very large meal per day for at least 3 days - maybe $8 or $9 max in that pot of fresh whole veggies and meat. Half the time I cannot eat it all and end up freezing some of it for later.

A single 10 lb bag of potatoes for around $3.00 would last us over 1 month. A single cheap and unhealthy tv dinner for $2.00 would be gone in one meal in one day.

Last night we went out to a notoriously cheap fast food joint and bought 2 value meals that came to 13.00 for one horrifically unhealthy meal each.

Last edited by L0ve; 09-16-2014 at 12:45 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
In Ohio I paid $1.29 lb for chicken at my discount grocery. In SC I pay about $1.45 lb at my regular designer grocery store.

I have a lb of chicken and fresh veggies n the crock pot now and that will feed the 2 of us a large meal per day for at least 3 days - maybe $8 or $9 max in that pot of fresh whole veggies and meat.

Last night we went out to a notoriously cheap fast food joint and bought 2 value meals that came to 13.00 for one horrifically unhealthy meal each.
Was that chicken free range?? Just so you know, I already dialed "9" and "1" while I wait for your answer.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I don't really see the whole "not knowing how to cook" argument as a very good one. Maybe 10-20 years ago it was, but with the internet anyone can figure out how to cook anything.
This is the most ridiculous excuse I hear. Unless you are disabled or mentally challenged, a basic human function is preparing a meal.

These same people who claim they cannot make their own food, somehow figure out how to have sex, raise children, buy and operate complicated computers on the intrawebz, and a multitude of other complex and highly difficult "adult" behaviours.

If someone is that mentally challenged that they cannot learn to feed themselves with basic meals, they should be living with their parents as a dependent or in a group home learning life skills from social workers.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Was that chicken free range?? Just so you know, I already dialed "9" and "1" while I wait for your answer.
No, I raised my own truly free range chicken, eggs, and meat rabbits when I had the room. Now I mostly buy it at Costco or Whole Foods. I try to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,048,162 times
Healthy food is less expensive. You can eat quite healthily eating fruits and vegetables. The problem is, the length of time that fruits and vegetables store on the shelf.
You will need to run to the grocery like every 3 days.
If you aren't able to do this, then you buy canned/frozen goods, which are less healthy due to preservatives like salt.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Yeah, but if they're actually poor, then people generally make choices to cut out luxuries. Tea is a luxury. That's the point, people don't actually grasp any of this any more because we have a group of people who say that poor people should not be impacted by their poverty. Like if I point out that some supposedly destitute person has a cell phone, it's like "so?" Um ...so ...then they're not poor. And then someone like JrzDefector will charge onto the scene and go "so you're saying a poor person shouldn't have a cell phone??" Uh ...yeah, that's generally how it works.
Yes, there are plenty of luxuries that should be cut out if you are indeed poor. But I don't really see the comparison between a cell phone that can cost more then $100 a month and tea that costs about 2 cents per cup. Its not really a luxury item, its a good substitute for drinks that are a lot more expensive and could be considered luxury items.

Should the poor be impacted by their poverty? Of course. I don't think being poor should be something that is easy. Being middle class isn't always easy either. There are people who seem to think that there should be a grocery store on every corner in poor neighborhoods. Who cares that a grocery store is a business that needs to make money, they apparently should start running their stores as a non profit as a service to society.

One of the grocery stores here stayed open for years in a poor neighborhood despite loosing money. When they finally closed people were outraged that they wouldn't continue to stay open even though they weren't making any money. I thought the outrage was ridiculous. People complain about the food deserts, but thats why they are there. Businesses aren't going to open up in a place where they aren't going to make money. So unfortunately people are going to have to take a 20 minute bus ride to the grocery store. Don't like it, then move. But of course, people shouldn't have to move... everything should just come to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink