Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times

Advertisements

Hi folks...

So, what kind of yogurt and cheese do lactose intolerant people eat?

That lactose free milks sucks...and is expensive as if we chose to be lactose intolerant...Not cool...

Can you name some that's not ONLY found at Whole Foods? and the likes?

Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 02:55 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I'm not severely lactose intolerant, and I find that I can eat most cheeses and yogurts with no problem--the bacterial process of turning milk into cheese or yogurt seems to cut out a lot of the lactose. I do chew a Lactaid if I'm unsure. I've never been a big milk drinker (probably because of what it does to my system) so I use almond milk on cereal, in smoothies, and for cooking/baking or for anything else that uses liquid milk.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Most of my family is lactose intolerant - yogurt doesn't seem to bother them but cheese is a problem. My son has more or less gone diary free - with the occasional use of lactose free milk (or Breyer's lactose free ice cream). And he keeps the lactaid tablets on hand to use when dairy cannot be avoided (or he wants to indulge in a treat). Daughter has gone the almond milk route. Hubby doesn't mind the lactose free milk (we use the store brand - much less expensive than the Lactaid).

Old 09-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Most of my family is lactose intolerant - yogurt doesn't seem to bother them but cheese is a problem. My son has more or less gone diary free - with the occasional use of lactose free milk (or Breyer's lactose free ice cream). And he keeps the lactaid tablets on hand to use when dairy cannot be avoided (or he wants to indulge in a treat). Daughter has gone the almond milk route. Hubby doesn't mind the lactose free milk (we use the store brand - much less expensive than the Lactaid).
So there is lactose free ice cream? Hmm...didn't know that...Is Breyers the only one who makes it? Their containers are tinyyy...

What lactose tablets? Are those by prescription? What are they called? Didn't know that either...I was never lactose intolerant until I had my kids...LOL Apparently they took my ability to eat dairy too amongst other things! hahahahaha

So about cheese: is there any colby jack cheese that's lactose free? Swiss? these are the ones I like. Or Mozarella...you know those balls...

Coconut milks constipates, and tastes like painted water. I don't like it, and neither is the soy. LOL

Thank you much.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:05 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
It's expensive because they have to pay for the process to remove the lactose, not because they are trying to punish you for being lactose intolerant.

Goats milk is generally consumable by people who are lactose intolerant. But it is sweeter than cow's milk so if you don't like sweet milk, it's probably not for you. I actually prefer it on my cereal but it's not as common to find in stores here in the US as it was in the UK.

The brand Silk makes soymilk, almondmilk, and coconut milk. Never had any of them myself but my dad and sister-in-law prefer the almondmilk. I don't know what groceries stores are near you but the majority of supermarkets have Silk.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Lactaid tablets are just found in the drugstore.... I think near the Tums and similar stuff. I think you just take one or two when you will be eating dairy. Lactaid makes it but I'm pretty sure it's available as a generic as well.

http://www.lactaid.com/products/fast-act-chewables

Breyers is the only lactose free ice cream that I've found carried at regular grocery stores (read Kroger etc as opposed to WF). Not sure what you mean by tiny containers. Pretty standard size of carton - although it is not a tub of ice cream.

http://www.breyers.com/product/categ...1/lactose-free

I don't really know the lactose free cheese. Both my guys mainly avoid cheese. It seems to me I found lactose free string cheese at some point when my son was younger to put in his lunchbox but it's been awhile.

http://cheese.about.com/od/cheesebuy...ree-Cheese.htm

I've tasted the lactose free milk and am not a fan, but dairy doesn't bother me so I just buy 2 different cartons. His and Hers milk in my fridge.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-23-2014 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: add links

Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It's expensive because they have to pay for the process to remove the lactose, not because they are trying to punish you for being lactose intolerant.
I don't know that they remove anything in the lactose free milk so much as they add the enzyme which enables folks to digest. The additive is why it tastes different (sweeter). Again, not sure but this is what I've been told (and it makes sense in that one can ingest a tablet to accomplish the same thing). Too lazy to research at the moment.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:34 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
The aging process of cheese helps to cut down and very often eliminate the lactose. For example, aged sharp cheddar will have little to no lactose while mozzarella will. Look for hard cheese vs soft cheese. Some people do better with "raw cheese". Organic Valley carries a few different kinds. It's not risky in the same way as drinking raw milk due to the aging process involved in making the cheese. http://www.organicvalley.coop/products/cheese/monterey-jack/wisconsin-raw-milk-cheese-jack-style-8-oz/

Green Valley Organics makes a good lactose free yogurt. Lactose Free Green Valley Organics Peace Love Dairy
They also make sour cream. Cultured sour cream is another safe bet as the cultures help break down the lactose. Nancy's is one brand that I have tried and liked a lot. Nancy's Organic Sour Cream

We use rice milk at our house in place of milk. The best dairy free ice cream is the "Coconut Bliss Brand" Welcome | Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss/Dairy & Soy Free/The Evolution of Ice Cream I don't like Rice Dream's ice cream by the pint but they have some ice cream treats that are really good like these: RICE DREAM Chocolate Frozen Pies Non-Dairy Dessert
So Delicious makes some Almond Milk treats that are good too like Ice cream sandwiches and ice cream bars. So Delicious Dairy Free | Almond Milk Frozen Desserts | Minis Mocha Almond Fudge Bars

Old 09-23-2014, 04:38 PM

Thanks guys! I am going to check these out...

OMG those fudge bars look delicious!

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

The aging process of cheese helps to cut down and very often eliminate the lactose. For example, aged sharp cheddar will have little to no lactose while mozzarella will. Look for hard cheese vs soft cheese.

Bacteria is what turns milk into cheese or yogurt. Actually, the bacteria feed on the sugar. The same is true with the brewing of beer and vinting of wine.

The harder cheese gets the less sugar is present. Consider parmesian or asagio as examples compared to fresh mozerella. As said, soft cheeses tear up people who are lactose intolerant; those like like brie and havarti are really heavy.
I have no real problems with cheese or yogurt though I can't drink cow's milk but drink almond milk. Aldi sells a good store brand and I like their chocolate offering. Mix that half and half with coconut milk and it tastes like a desert.
IMO, almond milk doesn't make for good cofffee creamer; neither do soy or coconut. I won't go the powdered gunk route so I will use a bit-o-half and half and no problems with the small amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink