Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 02:56 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

There's nothing to worry about. You won't get sick. Yes, there are all these warnings and rules out there, but really, most of us aren't such delicate little flowers. A piece of chicken or beef in a closed container or well wrapped isn't suddenly going to start multiplying deathly bacteria a few hours.

As I said, I do this ALL the time. I am 56 and have carted food to work for lunch for decades and not refrigerated it once I got there. I've never gotten sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Just my opinion from my experience, pretty much anything you bring with you won't spoil in 4 or even 8 hours. The need for refrigeration is vastly exaggerated. I bring lunch all the time and just leave it next to my desk. A cooked piece of chicken, some rice, veggies, etc will not go bad that quick. Quality deli meats last quite well too because of the salt and nitrates. Pasta, rice or couscous salads are great. Using commercial mayonnaise is no problem for brown bag lunches. It's really only a problem if you use home made mayo with raw eggs. Most cooked meats, deli meats, and raw or cooked vegetables will keep several hours without refrigeration.

For more tips check here:
Lunches You Don't Have to Refrigerate | Columbus Parent

Old 09-28-2014, 05:23 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
My goodness. I made my son all kinds of sandwiches, chicken, roast beef, and everything in between, for his school lunches - and he had no cold pack or anything. Somehow, he survived.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thanks for the link elnina.

So, as long as you don't get sick, it's safe? Could there be a cumulative effect on health as a result of regularly eating unrefrigerated cooked food (exposed to air for hours) for many years?
No!
You might get sick - NOT from the un-refrigerated lunches, but from salmonella. Then you will get sick quick, but not years later.

Like others said, years ago, kids went to school with their lunches and they were not packed in those fancy coolers, just into a paper bag. No one got sick!
In fact, they were more resistant to any kind of bacteria than the overprotected kids nowadays.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No!
You might get sick - NOT from the un-refrigerated lunches, but from salmonella. Then you will get sick quick, but not years later.

Like others said, years ago, kids went to school with their lunches and they were not packed in those fancy coolers, just into a paper bag. No one got sick!
In fact, they were more resistant to any kind of bacteria than the overprotected kids nowadays.

If I remember right, most of my lunches were either peanut butter and jelly or cold cut sandwiches which were very salty.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:15 PM

^^^ Well, I remember getting all kinds of food. From sandwiches with cold cuts, to salads based on mayo, to leftovers from a dinner, to whatever was available. It was safe to eat, and I was not getting sick.
Mind that it was in 60-70's, in communistic Poland. No fancy food, no fancy lunchboxes. No one got sick. All kids survived

... and NO cumulative effect on health as a result of regularly eating unrefrigerated cooked food! Obviously!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Skip mayo and creamy sauces. Or stuff with undercooked eggs or fish. Mostly everything thing else is fine.

But i do not enjoy rice at room temperature. And most beef. But that is a personal preference.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
I personally find it easier to eat stuff out of the can.

Hormel also sells ready made meals on the shelf like turkey and dressing.

They do not need heating or microwaving.

Whenever I do not have a microwave nearby I bring fruit..apples,oranges,pears etc.

Come to think of it,I eat strawberries and cherries for lunch that have been out for 4 hours.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 AM

555 posts, read 804,387 times
Quote:
For home-cooked food, what are the least likely to get spoiled within several hours (from leaving home in the morning to lunch break in as late as mid afternoon), in room temperature, without refrigeration? (am talking about cooked food only, so excluding canned food, raw vegetables such as salad, etc.)

E.g. I suppose cooked vegetables are safer than meat products. What about scrambled eggs? (hard boiled eggs should last longer than scrambled eggs I suppose?) What about spaghetti or noodles?
Japanese style bentos (homemade) fit the bill. They are designed to last at room temp for several hours, and can even handle hot humid environments.

The key is to make sure you close up your container after the food as cooled down (e.g. let the lunch cool to room temp before putting on the lid). Do not grab a bento from the fridge and run, either, as the condensation will encourage spoilage. Excess moisture is your enemy.

This is a great website that shows how it's done: Bento Basics | Just Bento .

Old 09-29-2014, 11:48 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
For home-cooked food, what are the least likely to get spoiled within several hours (from leaving home in the morning to lunch break in as late as mid afternoon), in room temperature, without refrigeration? (am talking about cooked food only, so excluding canned food, raw vegetables such as salad, etc.)

E.g. I suppose cooked vegetables are safer than meat products. What about scrambled eggs? (hard boiled eggs should last longer than scrambled eggs I suppose?) What about spaghetti or noodles?

I never refrigerate my lunch. I leave it at my desk and then I eat it. The trick is not to eat food that's on the edge of spoiling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink