Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
For home-cooked food, what are the least likely to get spoiled within several hours (from leaving home in the morning to lunch break in as late as mid afternoon), in room temperature, without refrigeration? (am talking about cooked food only, so excluding canned food, raw vegetables such as salad, etc.)

E.g. I suppose cooked vegetables are safer than meat products. What about scrambled eggs? (hard boiled eggs should last longer than scrambled eggs I suppose?) What about spaghetti or noodles?
of course as a lot of people know, I don't really worry to much about food spoiling. I guess this comes from growing up in an ere when we had very little refrigeration, not to mention in school we took our lunch, usually in a paper sack and often had egg salad or tuna sandwiches. We all survived nicely. This was before the age of a/c. I don't think you have to worry too much about most foods if you take them right from the ridge just before leaving for work. I don't mean, letting lunch sit in a hot car, I am talking about in an office setting. Let me add, it isn't the spoiling that bothers me as much as the flavor. Nothing to me would be less appealing than a luck warm salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 02:09 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
I had a roommate that would eat leftover chicken, pizza, whatever the next day after it had been out on the counter all night long... He's not dead yet.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:14 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Acidic stuff. Like german potato salad or macaroni/tortellini salad that uses vinegar instead of mayo. Dry cured ham with hard cheeses. Or even a bread salad. That's what I normally bring to picnics: Panzanella | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Old 09-29-2014, 08:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Japanese style bentos (homemade) fit the bill. They are designed to last at room temp for several hours, and can even handle hot humid environments.

The key is to make sure you close up your container after the food as cooled down (e.g. let the lunch cool to room temp before putting on the lid). Do not grab a bento from the fridge and run, either, as the condensation will encourage spoilage. Excess moisture is your enemy.

This is a great website that shows how it's done: Bento Basics | Just Bento .
Very interesting website that you linked, thanks!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,701 times
Any kind of luncheon meat ie Oscar Mayer is safe at room temp for hours and hours. The reason is all the chemicals in it basically preserve it for you.

Or you can bring a can of tuna with a new unopened small bottle of mayo. Can make your salad there by pre-slicing some celery. Then with some bread you have your sandwich. Its the same as you would get at Subway just not cold.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
People in Japan pack a lot of things in packed lunches to take to work or school that most Americans wouldn't think of leaving out at room temperature for hours.

Cooked eggs, sausages, chicken, fish, meatballs, sliced pork or beef, etc...
Do a web search for "bento" and look at the pictures. Those bento lunches all sit at room temperature until lunch time.

MIL did say not to include egg salad or potato salad, because the mayonnaise might go bad.
But eggs and potatoes are fine without mayonnaise.

I've also heard warnings from my daughter's kindergarten that we should wash our hands very well before handling food to put in a lunchbox, and that using vinyl gloves is even better.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 AM

948 posts, read 921,778 times
Here's a website for you with recipes of things people in Japan put in their lunches:

Just Bento | a healthy meal in a box: great bento recipes, tips, and more

Old 09-30-2014, 11:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
As long as it's not dairy like yogurt or milk and not mayo, I think pretty much just about anything can be left out for a few hours. Sometimes I don't put my pasta or sandwich in the fridge. My office is pretty cool so food can sit on my desk for 4 or 5 hours. Soup doesn't need to be refridgerated--look at all the cans on the shelves in the grocery store.

Cheese won't go bad but it could get super soft (depending on the cheese).

Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Yeah, I agree with oldtrader and others, don't take the risk. Just because a few people and everyone they know hasn't gotten sick doesn't mean you won't. Is it really that important to take something perishable for lunch over your health? If so, then carry on. If not, invest in a few ice packs and an insulated lunch sack.

Oh and that argument that everyone had about how a certain country that is NOT ours always takes their lunches un-refrigerated? They probably grew up that way and is immune for the most part. Someone here in the US and for the first time? Not immune. And even then a quick google shows stomach issues are common in Asia as well. So there goes that theory.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:12 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
Fried chicken, Italian dry salami sandwiches, meat pies called "Pasties"

pizza, chili, smoked ham sandwiches
Attached Thumbnails
Cooked food that is safe to take for lunch w/o being refrigerated?-potters-pasties-traditional.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink