Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

I told my wife years ago that I was perfectly capable of choosing what foods I will digest without her assistance. I have also reminded her that too many critiques of my cooking would encourage me to turn over that responsibility to her. Fortunately, she ha seen the light.

She can eat her Greek yogurt and not-from-concentrate orange juice ... while I eat a breakfast of "snap, crackle, and pop" when I want - that is, pork rinds with Cajun Power garlic sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My husband is on my case big time about quitting caffeine. I've always had either one small can of caffeinated drink (80mg caffeine) every morning, ever since I was 7. That's all I need to be productive, awake and focused each day. I sleep fine, and have never had issues with caffeine. (Except I do get withdrawal symptoms if I go without it)

I've tried compromising and promising to drink a little less coffee on Sunday, but he says no. I want to clean the house, go hiking and work on my programming. I need to be somewhat functional, not dead exhausted and knocked down with migraines from no caffeine.
Quote:
No, I only have a Red Bull with breakfast, and no more caffeine after that. Even if I have to wrestle the can of Red Bull right out his hands, I drink it. I don't want to sneak around with it, because I prefer complete honesty, but I want him to chill out and not worry so much.
Quote:
Yeah. I'm drinking my Red Bull as I write this.
I don't think your husband is entitled to an opinion regarding how much caffeine you drink unless it's affecting him or your children or marriage somehow.

But, out of curiosity, how much are you really drinking? First you say it's only one Red Bull in the morning and nothing else. Then you add that you'll drink less coffee on Sunday indicating that you also drink coffee on Sunday. How much are you drinking? Then you say you're drinking a Red Bull as you write, and it was about 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Again, it's really no one's business, but is it possible you're drinking lots more caffeine than you think you are?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM

772 posts, read 914,057 times
Quote:
My husband is on my case big time about quitting caffeine. I've always had either one small can of caffeinated drink (80mg caffeine) every morning, ever since I was 7. That's all I need to be productive, awake and focused each day. I sleep fine, and have never had issues with caffeine. (Except I do get withdrawal symptoms if I go without it)

And I'm 5'11, so much for coffee stunting growth!

But my husband is trying to forbid me from coffee. When I ask why, he can't give a coherent reason. He just says it's not healthy. So now he says I'm not allowed to have caffeine on Sundays, and that in a few weeks, no coffee on weekends, and then never again.

I've tried compromising and promising to drink a little less coffee on Sunday, but he says no. I want to clean the house, go hiking and work on my programming. I need to be somewhat functional, not dead exhausted and knocked down with migraines from no caffeine.

He says my addiction is a sign that it's unhealthy, but that doesn't seem like much of a compelling reason that caffeine itself, in moderate doses, is so bad.

Is he right to not allow me to drink coffee? How can I convince him that coffee isn't so bad?

I'm not sure you two should be having battles about who can drink coffee and who can't ? seems rather controlling to me..

I used to need one coffee every day, then two, then three, then one every break along with energy pills.

Now, a 20 minute jog at 5am before work, and no caffine needed all day .. took awhile for the brain to adjust to no caffine, I read if you take caffine your brain stops producing something similar to it ? once your brain figures out your not taking caffine, then it will produce that energy you used to have. .

have fun !

Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't think your husband is entitled to an opinion regarding how much caffeine you drink unless it's affecting him or your children or marriage somehow.

But, out of curiosity, how much are you really drinking? First you say it's only one Red Bull in the morning and nothing else. Then you add that you'll drink less coffee on Sunday indicating that you also drink coffee on Sunday. How much are you drinking? Then you say you're drinking a Red Bull as you write, and it was about 4 p.m. on Sunday.

Again, it's really no one's business, but is it possible you're drinking lots more caffeine than you think you are?
I asked the same thing. First its only one in the morning, then later evidence of more during the day.

Maybe it is guzzling red bull by the gallon and getting all hyped up?

Old 12-08-2014, 11:51 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Are you 5? When did your husband become your parent? I'm sure he has vices. We all do. I'd tell him to go fly a kite, but I wouldn't be that polite. There'd probably be a few f words involved.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Sorry for the confusion, I'm using the words coffee/caffeine/Red Bull interchangeably. Coffee is just easier to type on my phone than Red Bull.

I do drink one source of caffeine (usually Red Bull, but sometimes coffee) everyday. Not much, but I am addicted enough to need it every day, otherwise I get nasty headaches that last all day that Advil can't even help.

And in my time zone, it was around 1pm when I had my RB. (Yeah, I totally slept in yesterday lol)

In any event, I only have 80mg caffeine per day.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, I'm using the words coffee/caffeine/Red Bull interchangeably. Coffee is just easier to type on my phone than Red Bull.

I do drink one source of caffeine (usually Red Bull, but sometimes coffee) everyday. Not much, but I am addicted enough to need it every day, otherwise I get nasty headaches that last all day that Advil can't even help.

And in my time zone, it was around 1pm when I had my RB. (Yeah, I totally slept in yesterday lol)

In any event, I only have 80mg caffeine per day.
Well, that makes sense. As others have said, your husband doesn't have a right to tell you how much caffeine to drink. But it sounds like you may have bigger problems than that, although I hope not.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

And I'm 5'11, so much for coffee stunting growth!

But my husband is trying to forbid me from coffee. When I ask why, he can't give a coherent reason. He just says it's not healthy. So now he says I'm not allowed to have caffeine on Sundays, and that in a few weeks, no coffee on weekends, and then never again.

He says my addiction is a sign that it's unhealthy, but that doesn't seem like much of a compelling reason that caffeine itself, in moderate doses, is so bad.

Is he right to not allow me to drink coffee? How can I convince him that coffee isn't so bad?

First of all coffee itself is not completely bad for you but it isn't really that good for you either.
There is a lot of problems for some with the acidity of coffee, the caffeine on the other hand is what is the worst part of coffee. If you limit the amount of caffeine you have daily though if you choose to then it shouldn't be a real issue.
You could be like me though and drink 20 16 ounce cups of coffee daily and that is a minimum, tell your husband that and see what he says....LOL

The rest of your post troubles me tremendously because you have much bigger issues than drinking coffee or having caffeine.

I can guarantee you that if my husband would "TELL" me what I can eat, drink, wear, do, purchase or anything else he would not be my husband much longer.

I am a grown woman and do not need his permission for anything.
So your issue is not the coffee itself, it is the fact that your husband is badgering you about the coffee because that is the last piece of control he has to take from you so you have nothing left but what he TELLS YOU that you have which is nothing.

You had better start taking back control of your life before it is all gone and you have no identity except for the one your husband allows you to have.

If he is so against caffeine he should be against it in his own place, alone, without you so you can actually live your life like an adult woman not some 3 year being "contained and controlled" by her parents.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:41 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
ohhwanderlust, may I ask how long you've been married?

Is it possible that your husband's strong objection is actually to the Red Bull? There's a good amount of stuff on the internet about the dangers of this product, and possibly he's been reading these sensational pieces.

Also, does he "forbid" you on other behaviors? Just wondering, as something seems a little strange about this whole thread.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:58 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
His response is that no one truly cares about me like he does.

He wasn't like this at all before we married.
Classic signs of an abuser, soon he will be trying to limit your time with friends and family so you are isolated.

OP, I'd seriously ask him to go to counselling with you now, you are headed for trouble - his response to your request will be telling.

What he's asking is NOT at all about truly caring for you, it's about his (very undesirable) issues.

Life with him will be hell if you take this now. I am somewhat concerned that you didn't post this as a serious relationship problem with your husband, but rather trying to prove coffee is bad for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink