Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
My Sister In Law brined a turkey breast, then roasted it, used the drippings for the gravy, we took a bite and I'm the only one that said OMG, the gravy is so salty, then everyone chimed in, so the rest of the day, "salty" was the word of the day
did something similare a few years ago with a pumpkin pie: withot thinking i used sea salt instead of regular salt. Now, everytime somene in the family suggests I bring pie, they mention without salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 08:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,948,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
A picnic ham is not a ham technically. It's suppose to be fatty because it's a cheaper cut of meat. Longer slow cooking times are essential for these types of cuts to render the extra fat and collagen in the meat.

Its a real good cut for long BBQ times as it doesn't dry out like a traditional ham would. Hence the word picnic in the cuts name.

If you tried to prepare it the same as a regular spiral sliced ham it's no wonder you thought it inferior. Because it is meant to be.

Low and slow is the way to go.
You are right, the rare time we get one, we smoke it, after making sure the water has a lot of booze in it. We call it drunken ham. It is great, but must be cooked a long time...

Old 12-26-2014, 08:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,242,543 times
I experimented on Christmas Eve. I put 1/2 cup of br sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar in a chocolate cookie recipe instead of 1 cup of white sugar it called for. I wanted them to stay soft and chewy but they ended up being raw inside.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
A picnic ham is not a ham technically. It's suppose to be fatty because it's a cheaper cut of meat. Longer slow cooking times are essential for these types of cuts to render the extra fat and collagen in the meat.

Its a real good cut for long BBQ times as it doesn't dry out like a traditional ham would. Hence the word picnic in the cuts name.

If you tried to prepare it the same as a regular spiral sliced ham it's no wonder you thought it inferior. Because it is meant to be.

Low and slow is the way to go.
Well I wish I had consulted you prior to this disaster. I will admit the directions talked about 7-8 hours in a slow cooker but I figured as long as the internal temp got to 155 it didn't matter. Most recipes for slow cookers can be cooked in regular oven or stove top in about l/4 time. I hate to waste money. I'll know better next time. Thanks for the education BDD.

ETA: I read a lot about hams before this purchase and learned that spirals seem to dry out too much so that is why I picked the one I did. Certainly not my first ham but i knew I didn't want to get a really big one like over 7 lbs and there wasn't a lot to choose from.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:22 AM

7,976 posts, read 7,368,503 times
Well, the pork roast I was planning for Christmas Eve wasn't done when the rest of the dinner was...so we decided to go ahead and eat the other things. We had stewed Copes corn, German Noodle Kugel, sweet potato casserole, cole slaw, rolls...and the vegetarian roast my vegetarian daughter brought home. She's the only vegetarian in the bunch, but we were good sports and pretended to like it (truthfully, it wasn't that bad). Then a half an hour later we carnivores dived for that pork roast like mad dogs...

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 12-26-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 12-26-2014, 09:25 AM

32,983 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
My Sister In Law brined a turkey breast, then roasted it, used the drippings for the gravy, we took a bite and I'm the only one that said OMG, the gravy is so salty, then everyone chimed in, so the rest of the day, "salty" was the word of the day
My S-I-L could never figure out the table salt, kosher salt difference, so her turkey and gravy was always very salty. That was scary because she was an elementary school teacher. She also insisted that the holiday in February was Valentimes Day.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
did something similare a few years ago with a pumpkin pie: withot thinking i used sea salt instead of regular salt. Now, everytime somene in the family suggests I bring pie, they mention without salt.

Everything in my daughter's pantry is "healthy and organic", so I can't assume it will be usable in my standard non-healthy baking. This past holiday weekend, I baked a batch of brownies to take to a family get-together her inlaws were having...and the only flour she had in the house was whole wheat. The only sugar she had was raw organic. My brownie recipe didn't turn out nearly as good as it normally does - it was somewhat coarse and heavy. Fortunately, son-in-law went out the next morning and got me white sugar, enriched white flour, etc.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are right, the rare time we get one, we smoke it, after making sure the water has a lot of booze in it. We call it drunken ham. It is great, but must be cooked a long time...

Now that's MY kind of ham!!!!!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,388,105 times
My homemade scalloped potatoes were a tad underdone -- which is compeltely maddening. I cooked them for 45 minutes covered with foil and another 50 minutes OFF foil in a 350 degree oven. They had a nice golden brown edge but I guess I didn't slice them all uniformly and an occassional bite was semi "al dente." In the future I will use the mandoline slicer and also cook them a little longer. Everything else was pretty delicious although one relative thought the tenderloin roast was too rare -- it was perfectly medium rare but I shold have cooked a small piece a little longer -- I know many people don't like their meat too pink.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,190,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
My homemade scalloped potatoes were a tad underdone -- which is compeltely maddening. I cooked them for 45 minutes covered with foil and another 50 minutes OFF foil in a 350 degree oven. They had a nice golden brown edge but I guess I didn't slice them all uniformly and an occassional bite was semi "al dente." In the future I will use the mandoline slicer and also cook them a little longer. Everything else was pretty delicious although one relative thought the tenderloin roast was too rare -- it was perfectly medium rare but I shold have cooked a small piece a little longer -- I know many people don't like their meat too pink.
I'm notorious for undercooking potatoes. I think I try to cook too much by volume even though i slice them very slice in my food processor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink