Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,672,329 times

Advertisements

I need to look at, in person, what I'm buying. I would miss not shopping for groceries in person because I actually enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,881,773 times
I would love to have groceries delivered, but every service I've seen was WAY more expensive than I can get if I shop the discount grocer and sales. It just doesn't make up for the convenience.

I find it a bit funny that people balk about fresh foods being shipped. Where do you think it all comes from? Those apples, eggs, chicken legs, whatever came from across the country or around the world most likely. I do understand the desire to look over selections before you buy though.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:12 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,898,701 times
I've been trying to convince my wife to do Peapod instead of spending 2 hours every Sunday lugging groceries back home. She has free time at work to shop the site online, they drop it at your doorstep for only a $7 surcharge, so I thought it was the perfect solution, but she says she needs to see the items for the most part. She has a general list already planned, but there are random items she only picks out when she walks by them.

I don't know, maybe there's a hot guy there or something.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:12 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,307,630 times
yes.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,702,776 times
I used Webvan before it went under back in 2000 and have used Safeway online since then. I use them for my pantry items and for packaged greens and fruits and only once had a problem with quality. I called the customer service line and they removed the item from my charge. It's a great service and I still get most of the sale prices on items. Since the cart adds up as I shop I can stay on budget. For me it's well worth it, and I get the items delivered directly to my kitchen. I do have a produce store and meat market nearby for special items for if I run out of something.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:09 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,127,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I would love to have groceries delivered, but every service I've seen was WAY more expensive than I can get if I shop the discount grocer and sales. It just doesn't make up for the convenience.
^^ This is me. I guess I am cheap lol. But I like to use coupons and take advantage of the store's deals. Sometimes I find great bargains in the store that are unadvertised. I couldn't do this online. I don't really mind shopping. I stock up when there is a sale, so some weeks I only have to get produce.

But, I don't think it's weird at all. I actually think it is great to have this option available. For people who just hate shopping or don't have time, this is a good option. It can be hard for some disabled and elderly people to carry heavy stuff or get it from the car to the house. I should have considered this when I hurt my knee a few years ago.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:52 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
I think its odd, but that is because I enjoy grocery shopping. I'm by myself, nobody is bothering me, and I just sort of zone out, relax, and plan what I want to cook that week, according to the specials.
One the other hand, I hate clothes shopping. I haven't been to a Mall in about a year. I order almost everything on line, so I understand if someone wants to avoid the grocery store because they don't have the time or don't like it.
Isn't it a lot more expensive?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:14 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,209,259 times
they have groceries on amazon and ebay? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

I use amazon all the time for appliances and such, but not for food. I know safeway and others have online services....

Old 01-15-2015, 02:41 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,252,779 times
I think staring straight into your phone in public is weird, and rude. But everyone does it.

I still shop at grocery stores, but I rarely if ever shop anywhere else. It's hard to ignore how convenient online shopping is.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post

I find it a bit funny that people balk about fresh foods being shipped. Where do you think it all comes from? Those apples, eggs, chicken legs, whatever came from across the country or around the world most likely. I do understand the desire to look over selections before you buy though.

I agree with you. The last time I compared the prices of 30 items I bought on a market trip with the on-line prices, I would have paid about 25% more purchasing online PLUS the delivery fee.

To me, it is less convenient to have to wait around for a delivery than it is to head to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink