Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:45 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
this trend was over a long time ago.
But they made their money! That's all that counts, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 AM

19,523 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I've noticed our local grocery store sells the individual cupcake, whereas others have them packaged as 6 or dozen. Every once in a while, I might get one of these, depending on if they have Black Forest or Red Velvet. My grocery store doesn't charge as much for them as did the Cupcake place at Union Station/Washington, DC., and they were moist too I tried that cupcake place at Union Station, at least twice, and each time I was disappointed.

My coworkers used to rave about the cupcakes from a truck that came by the office every week but I didn't get a chance to try those.

I liked the idea a previous poster put out about making more than the sugar coma induced cupcakes. Maybe you can go on Shark Tank with your ideas

Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 AM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
We have one nearby and I actually just like their icing shooters. Kids love their cupcakes. Bailey cream for one and key lime for the other. It's a chain i think, SAS.
A woman after my own heart. I only like the shooters. But I love a nice piece of cake.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Daughter made these...

Local grocer makes these...

Disney made these...

One of these is about all the cake I can take. I prefer pie these days.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:06 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Daughter made these...

One of these is about all the cake I can take. I prefer pie these days.
Too too too much icing.

I have a friend that makes cupcakes. Hers are delicious. She has cut the icing to a minimum. Just perfect. I bought a dozen from her, even three days later they were yummy.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:09 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
The chances of eating a good cupcake for me are zero. Too soft, shortening in the frosting, too much sugar. Ack.

And dear Zeus, why oh why do they have to put so much food coloring in them that they look like an MGM cartoon?

They're fun to look at though.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Too too too much icing.

I have a friend that makes cupcakes. Hers are delicious. She has cut the icing to a minimum. Just perfect. I bought a dozen from her, even three days later they were yummy.
For you maybe. Icing makes the cupcake. I'll take more over less anyday. BTW, my daughter is no baker but knows what the kids like. Apparently the commercial bakers do also.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
For you maybe. Icing makes the cupcake. I'll take more over less anyday. BTW, my daughter is no baker but knows what the kids like. Apparently the commercial bakers do also.
They're beautiful. But I'm not much of a frosting fiend, myself. Really, it depends on the frosting; buttercream does NOT have shortening in it. Crisco cream is just not my thing. Certain icing colorants have a less than pleasant taste, especially if used in quantity needed to make a saturated color.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
If I get the right type of icing, a cupcake is heaven. Yum. Never too much icing for me.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
They're beautiful. But I'm not much of a frosting fiend, myself. Really, it depends on the frosting; buttercream does NOT have shortening in it. Crisco cream is just not my thing. Certain icing colorants have a less than pleasant taste, especially if used in quantity needed to make a saturated color.
Yeah, I don't like all the colorings either or the taste of pre-made icings. Quality icing is a must and fondant sucks too. Let's face it most cakes or cupcakes are dry and need the icing to make them edible. BTW, I didn't post the photos to brag on anything. I did so to show beautiful is easy, great taste isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink