Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
That's how I feel about all forms of mayo. I don't eat any potato or pasta salad with mayo. I have used very small amounts to thicken my coleslaw dressing, but I am talking about 1 tbsp. for an entire bowl of salad. I can't stand it on anything, even sandwiches. That slime is repulsive.
I rhink it is strictlty a matter of preference. Mom used Mir Whip, so did my mom in law; someone mentioned people in the south use it more than mayo. I have found the opposite. Niether were from the south, mom was raised in Kansas and mom in law; WV. I think it might be more a mid west thing, but who really knows.

A week or so ago, at our bridge luncheon the gal who hosted made turkey sandwiches and some ham. Yes, she used Mir whip and no she isn't from the south. and I could barely get 1/2 sandwich down. The worst part I was really hungry that day. Today we are having another luncheon. Let's see what this gal brings. She isn't going to win any cooking contests in the near future.

As for all forms of mayo, my 2 granddaughters share your feeling. They will eat something with just a slight taste of it, but more than a slight taste forget it. I could probably eat it on my toast for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
I was a sickly, nervous, skinny child. I pretty much didn't eat anything. My father used to put me over his knee at the dinner table if I wouldn't eat what was on my plate. One time when he did that I puked potato pancake on his foot. He never did THAT again!

Old 02-12-2015, 02:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Can we cover mother-in-law's cooking as well? In 35 years, I always enthusiastically ate everything my mother-in-law prepared...liked some of it, hated a lot of it (but pretended to LOVE it). She's a life-long vegetarian due to religion (Seventh Day Adventist) and some of the stuff was pretty weird. When DH and I first got engaged, I was advised to never ask her what's in anything. Worst by far was the first time I tasted Worthington "fake meat" in a can (Salisbury Stake, I think it was)...I was asked, "It tastes just like the REAL THING doesn't it?" No, it didn't. How would anybody who NEVER ate real salisbury steak in their life know what REAL salisbury steak tastes like? I lied and said it was delicious, then had to hear sales pitches about all the other "wonderful" Worthington (an SDA company, of course) vegetarian faux meat products available - Skallups, Chick'n, and Jumbo Franks. Blech, Blecchh, and Bleccchhh. If the taste of that stuff doesn't make you want to gag, try reading the ingredients label.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Now I do love mayo...especially my mother's homemade tarargon mayo...but miracle whip is an abomination.
I was just the opposite. I'll eat Miracle Whip (I buy the lower fat one with the light blue lid) in small doses, but despise mayo.

But even Miracle Whip, I only use in small doses. Mixed with tuna for tunafish sandwiches, or a little bit on the bread with mustard for meat sandwiches, and that's about it. Even the smallest jars usually go bad before I use them up.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 AM

172 posts, read 180,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll never understand why a kid/person wouldn't tell their parents that they don't like something.
My parents know EVERYTHING that I don't like.
and if they forgot, I'll gladly remind them.
I did too, they just didn't care enough to remember. My parents stayed with me over Christmas and my mom and I went back and forth over soft boiled eggs. She and my dad went to Germany for vacation and when they came back, the only type of eggs she would make was soft boiled. I hated them from the start and only ate them because it was all she would make. But no, my mom fought me, her 37 year old daughter, on whether I liked them or not. Truth is when I told her I didn't like them she would say, "What? You are wrong! They are delicious! Try it again!". I tried those vile things over and over and hated them every single time. My mom just wouldn't allow me to not like them.

I didn't care for her slumgullian (sp?). Ground beef mixed with spaghetti sauce and elbow macaroni. It isn't bad, I just didn't care for something so meat heavy.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I rhink it is strictlty a matter of preference. Mom used Mir Whip, so did my mom in law; someone mentioned people in the south use it more than mayo. I have found the opposite. Niether were from the south, mom was raised in Kansas and mom in law; WV. I think it might be more a mid west thing, but who really knows.

A week or so ago, at our bridge luncheon the gal who hosted made turkey sandwiches and some ham. Yes, she used Mir whip and no she isn't from the south. and I could barely get 1/2 sandwich down. The worst part I was really hungry that day. Today we are having another luncheon. Let's see what this gal brings. She isn't going to win any cooking contests in the near future.

As for all forms of mayo, my 2 granddaughters share your feeling. They will eat something with just a slight taste of it, but more than a slight taste forget it. I could probably eat it on my toast for breakfast.
I will never get why, when people make sandwiches for a group gathering, they pre-load them with condiments, rather than letting people dress their own. The fact that some people have serious aversions to a variety of condiments, mayo and Miracle Whip being probably the most contentious. When you don't know your crowd and their preferences in a setting like this, why not just make a basic sandwich, and let people add what they like and leave off what they don't? I also find sandwiches where the condiments have been sitting on them for a while to be soggy, anyway. It's best to add whatever you're going to add right before consumption.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
This is the sort of thing that needs to be covered in etiquette books; the condiment should be left to the discretion of the person who is consuming it.

Personally, I detest mayo. The only way I found that it tastes good is when it's mixed with horseradish, which I was introduced to it when I was pregnant with kid #2: I normally don't eat meat at all, but that pregnancy had me craving roast beef on rye sandwiches all the time, and one day I caved and stopped at a deli. Unaccustomed to the routine, I didn't think to mention "No mayo"... but the craving was so strong that I decided to eat it anyway. When I took a bite I was pleasantly surprised, and went back to ask what it was. Mayo with horseradish: the condiment of the gods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I will never get why, when people make sandwiches for a group gathering, they pre-load them with condiments, rather than letting people dress their own. The fact that some people have serious aversions to a variety of condiments, mayo and Miracle Whip being probably the most contentious. When you don't know your crowd and their preferences in a setting like this, why not just make a basic sandwich, and let people add what they like and leave off what they don't? I also find sandwiches where the condiments have been sitting on them for a while to be soggy, anyway. It's best to add whatever you're going to add right before consumption.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Even as a person who likes mayo, I'd rather put it on myself, in an amount I personally enjoy, rather than have it pre-applied to a sandwich and sit there soaking into the bread for God knows how long.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Actually, it was my grandmother who always made banana pudding for me until she died. I always ate it and always hated it.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:02 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Thank GOD my mom never used Miracle Whip, only mayo, in chicken salad, tuna salad, pasta salads, potato salads. Or sweet relish. Those two ingredients are my main reason for being wary of prepared salads I didn't make.
I buy both Miracle Whip and mayonnaise. I loved Miracle Whip as a kid, so I don't get why some people don't like it. It has its place.
I loved Kraft yellow cheese sandwiches on Wonderbread with MW, and I still like it now with tomatoes and cheese. Just today, I had MW on white bread with bologna and mustard, and it was awesome. Sometimes I use it in tuna or egg salad, and sometimes I use mayo. It just depends on what I feel like.
Dieters love it because it has half the calories of mayo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink