Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 09:59 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, I got hepatitis.
ONe of the wife old tale was to drink celery leaves juice. Yes pure celery juice with no sugar or anything.
It was horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
'for those who wonder why some didn't speak out: remember some of us grew up during or shortly after the depression or WW2, when food wasn't as available as now. We just learned to eat what was served. Or another reason; some of us thought "if everyone else liked it, we should like it too" Times have certainly changed over the past few decades. I think parents today accept that not all of us like the same thing. I know even my granddaughers, who are adults but young ones, would let their likes and dislikes be known and my daughter respected this.
My parents were baby boomers and thus grew up shortly after WW2 - my mom says she never kept quiet about foods she didn't like. Granted, she still had to eat foods she didn't like but she didn't hide the fact that she hated them.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:03 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I'll never understand why a kid/person wouldn't tell their parents that they don't like something.
My parents know EVERYTHING that I don't like.
and if they forgot, I'll gladly remind them.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:42 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My smile for the morning. I happen to love Tuna casserole and I even liked picked herring or I could eat it, but I guess there are a lot of people who would think I am a little off my rocker.
I like tuna casserole too - the good ole Campbell's cream of shroom version.
Bought peas yesterday just so I could make it, it has been awile.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
As a child I never liked salads and hated salad dressing even more. The worst was blue cheese.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I don't care for my mom's chili or her spaghetti, and never have. I don't HATE either, and will eat either without complaint, but it's far from my favorite meal she makes. She is especially proud of her spaghetti (which is my least favorite of the two), so I've never been compelled to say anything, because she thinks it's great, but it's not my cup of tea. There's nothing WRONG with it, just different tastes, so I never felt the need to hurt her feelings. I can eat it, I just don't love it. No biggie.

Her spaghetti isn't my taste for a couple of reasons...one is that she overcooks the pasta, resulting in it being too mushy and gummy and starchy. When I learned how to cook pasta myself, I identified that as an issue right away, but as a little kid, I thought I just didn't like pasta. I DO like pasta, I just like pasta cooked al dente, not boiled to soft, falling-apartness. She also does a VERY meaty meat sauce, far more ground beef and onion than tomato sauce or seasoning. It was like a semi-tomatoey ground beef mixture incorporated into overcooked noodles. I like either no meat in my sauce, or pretty limited meat, like a big meatball or two. and I like the sauce on top, not stirred throughout. I also don't care for ground beef as the meat. And I like more basil, and fresh, than she used.

After I was out of the house, she did start making spaghetti that's a marinara with meatballs, which is much better, but she still overcooks the noodles. I think it's because my dad doesn't like them "chewy."

Her chili is okay, it's just not as spicy as I make it, and it's less thick than I like. More of a "chili soup." I like a thick chili.

My mom's a good cook, overall, but those two things are dishes where I've got her beat.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:32 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
This reminds me of my husband. He always wanted narrow pasta (like spaghetti or linguine), but I got sick of standing around cutting up the pasta for 3 little kids and decided to cook rigatoni instead, since I could just dump it onto the plates and move on. He hemmed and hawed and I'm like "Dude, it's pasta. It all tastes the same." So, he tried it and was won over at first bite. Turns out that his aversion to broad noodles was because his mother (who is, ironically, full-blooded Italian) would always cook them into a soft mush... and for some reason it didn't occur to him that all rigatoni does not have that texture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Her spaghetti isn't my taste for a couple of reasons...one is that she overcooks the pasta, resulting in it being too mushy and gummy and starchy. When I learned how to cook pasta myself, I identified that as an issue right away, but as a little kid, I thought I just didn't like pasta. I DO like pasta, I just like pasta cooked al dente, not boiled to soft, falling-apartness.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
I didn't eat anything I didn't like.
Still don't.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:27 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I don't buy that. My mother grew up in post WWII France...and yes you ate what was set in front of you...but parents still knew what they kids liked or hated. If a parent can't know that...then there is a larger issue that has nothing to do with food or poverty.
I agree my mom was born in 1945 and her mom knew what the kids ate, it also helps that my grandfather was a butcher and cost of food was not a big issue with them so If they did not like what was being served my grandfather would make something else. They did have at least try a taste though.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Black eyed peas �� Although I've since come to like them, but only when they are prepared as the famous Ghanaian dishes of waakye (pronounced "waat-che") or bean soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink