Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM

19,975 posts, read 30,335,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Hannaford Supermarket.

I know the entire meat department staff (by recognition, not name) and they have the best selection around here.
I use to be a meat manager at a Hannafords Supermarket for many yrs

Hannaford started in maine

Hannaford is the sister store to food lion, both owned by del haize in Belgium

ccc if you buy burger from Hannaford, ask if they grind it on site and what grade- in this region they only use real bench trimmings for 80/20 % lean ratio,,,
all the other grades, come in all packaged,,they take out of a box like Walmart...

this is for trace-ability- if someone screams e-coli, they have somewhere to point to

a few yrs back they got sue'd for food poisoning from there burger . and they couldn't trace where it came from

in the late 80's I helped open a couple Hannaford stores in upstate n.y. - this was new territory for them at the time ,,,they have done well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,320,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Went for sushi tonight at a new place down the street. They had a Kobe roll on the menu ($10)...almost walked out on principle.
I am sure they meant a roll to honor Kobe Bryant......

If I am not lazy, I go to a local meat market and get great meats cut to order.

If I am lazy, Bristol Farms, Gelson's and Whole Foods, assuming they have prime, they don't always.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:35 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,812,361 times
Meat thread FTW.

We are seeing some of the lowest prices on meat here in the Central Valley of California that I have seen in a few years. I believe we are at the perfect apex of location with regards to this whole Port Stoppage thing going on.

4.99lb for Choice Top Sirloin steaks.

I paid $1 per 4lbs of oranges on a one day special at a local market. Bought 40lbs and juiced most of them.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:50 AM

32,737 posts, read 48,376,508 times
Best tasting beef is my own home grown. Raised and killed without stress. Fed grain every day of it's life from weaning to butcher and my custom butcher dry ages beef to perfection. There is nothing like it.

Other than that I get the primal cuts in choice grade angus from the restaurant supply company and hand cut my own.

There was a local restaurant that served the best steaks ever, but I haven't eaten there for years and I notice the restaurant is now for sale. Really expensive to eat there, but worth every penny, if you could even get in. They were always packed.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM

3,145 posts, read 5,977,950 times
Knowing the farmer and where your beef comes from means absolutely nothing if the end product isn't worth a darn. Everyone has their preferences, but if my local farmer produces tasteless, lean beef...well, I'll buy from somewhere else.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 AM

983 posts, read 999,633 times
A good relationship with a good butcher is one of your most valuable relationships in life.
I adore mine.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM

12,125 posts, read 8,523,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
A good relationship with a good butcher is one of your most valuable relationships in life.
I adore mine.
This! There are several small-town butcher shops within driving distance. Several have been historical prize winners at the State Fair and one my family has patronized for over sixty years. Those are my go-to spots for special meals.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:15 PM

19,911 posts, read 22,848,378 times
My neighbor has a custom meat cutting business, most of it is on-site beef butchering etc. If I really wanted some good beef I could buy it through him, but it would be a 1/2 side minimum, and we don't eat that much beef.

We have too much wild game in the freezer!

And I know this may sound odd, but because my meat diet over the past 20 years has mainly consisted of venison, I simply can't handle the beef fat too well (and pork fat is iffy too). I've grown to accustomed and too fond of very, very lean meat. I love a nice venison loin chop simply kissed on the grates of a hot wood fire grill. *Flip-flip* slam it on the plate over some wild rice and sauteed mushrooms!

Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
We used to get really good beef from a farm family up the hill. However, now the daughters are old enough that they threaten to leave home if the beef in their refrigerator came from a beef they previously met. So, they sell off their young tender bull to someone who says they are going to use it for breeding (they have Guernsey or Jersey dairy cattle) and then they buy a different steer that the girls haven't met to be sent to the butcher. Much less tender, I'm not sure why. In any case, we get a freezer full of beef when they get the beef back from the slaughterhouse since they don't have enough room to store it all and we get a really good price if we pick it up on the way back from the slaughterhouse.

There are a lot of ways to improve a not so tender cut of meat or marinate and improve the flavor, but to get the very best outstanding steak, it's best to start with something really great in the first place.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:19 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,434,587 times
When I'm cooking at home, I like grass fed best. I can seriously taste the difference. But I don't cook a lot of red meat at home, unless it's buffalo.

But there's a steakhouse that just opened down the street from me. My housemate and I tried it one night, and it was phenomenal. That's where I'll be eating steak from now on. Very juicy and cooked to perfection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink