Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times

Advertisements

I think you're reading too much into it. It's a joke. "Crack dip" is just so addictive that people can't stop eating. It's not unlike someone saying she's a chocoholic. Alcoholism is real and devastating, but no one seriously thinks that chocolate ruins lives or is trying to make light of suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:24 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think you're reading too much into it. It's a joke. "Crack dip" is just so addictive that people can't stop eating. It's not unlike someone saying she's a chocoholic. Alcoholism is real and devastating, but no one seriously thinks that chocolate ruins lives or is trying to make light of suffering.
You're probably right. Knowing what it means really took me by surprise. I used to call my mother a hamaholic because of her love for ham, but crack is so foreign to most of our lives it didn't seem logical. Many of us have an alcoholic in the family... not so many have a crackhead.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I agree - let's make it illegal!!!!
Yes! Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!! Stomp stomp stomp!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Never heard of "crack dip" - didn't look it up either....

Old 02-25-2015, 06:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
You're probably right. Knowing what it means really took me by surprise. I used to call my mother a hamaholic because of her love for ham, but crack is so foreign to most of our lives it didn't seem logical. Many of us have an alcoholic in the family... not so many have a crackhead.
That made me realize a few things:

1. I don't drink (beyond a sip of champagne every once in a blue moon).
2. I don't partake in drugs of any sort (except an ice cream sandwich every day).

And maybe THAT'S why I'm so quick to append -aholic to all sorts of things (chocoholic, workaholic, etc...). I don't drink and I've only known one alcoholic (and that was a long, long time ago). And my ex-husband and I used to call all sorts of goodies that we loved "crack" because we were obsessed with those treats. (There's a vanilla granola cashew thing at Costco. We never knew its name. We just called it "crack.")

I guess because I don't know those alcohol or drug problems first-hand (or even second-hand), those terms slip off my tongue easily. There's no personal stigma attached to them so, to me, they're just throwaway cutesy words.

The same way as when something scares you and you say "Oh my god, I almost had a heart attack." I used to say that all the time as a figure of speech. Then my aunt had a heart attack about 5 years ago and every time I'd say it -- albeit less frequently -- I'd cringe and wish that I could undo what I said. Last May, my father died of a heart attack. I'll never let "Oh my god, I almost had a heart attack" slip out of my mouth again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Awww, come on. Sure you did. The first step is admitting that you have a problem.

I'm just kidding with you. I looked it up because I'm obsessive like that. (The first step is admitting that I have a bit of an OCD problem. )

Old 02-25-2015, 06:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm 62 years old and have never heard the term "crack dip".

Old 02-25-2015, 06:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Crack is whack. But I'll take crack dip, crack slaw, etc.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:02 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I can't figure out why it has the name. What does it mean? Apparently there are several types, but they're all called crack dip.
j I've never heard of that. It must be a regional thing. Doesn't sound appetizing.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
j I've never heard of that. It must be a regional thing. Doesn't sound appetizing.
Maybe those who responded will post where they are from. Doesn't sound appetizing to me, either. I heard about it from a woman in Mississippi.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 PM

461 posts, read 509,346 times
I have never heard of crack dip before this, but just hearing the name makes me think it must be wonderful! I am going to try the various recipes now. My family jokes about something being like crack when it is really good and we can't stop eating it. Not that we would know what actual crack is like, just that it is addicting like this dip apparently. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink