Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Here's the thing, if you don't need THAT brand of chocolate why not look for a better/safer/cleaner/less polluted source if you can find? Makes sense, no?
Just looking around now, I saw that the warnings were for the TJ dark chocolates, not milk chocolate, and it seems to be more of a problem with lead than cadmium (in other words, don't feed dark chocolate to very young children, who are so much more sensitive to heavy metals than adults).

Quote:
Also, as bananas or Brazil nuts go, same goes. I eat Plantains vs the higher sugar bananas. I don't need Brazils -- even though they're high in selenium -- as can get it from other sources, yes?

I know it matters little to most but I think it is all cumulative all food we eat, & damage from it, thus try to avoid anything you KNOW to be questionable -- if at all poss. Sure you can't be perfect but shoot for the stars, & land on the moon, is excellence to me diet-wise.

No common foods that have been tested are perfectly safe. All of them have toxins to a degree, that's why the great Irish god of healing, Dian Cecht, gave us livers to clear out that stuff.

Nothing's perfectly safe. Not carrots, broccoli, spinach, venison ...... not even water, which can be toxic in large amounts. But those things also have important nutrients and protective substances, such as the antioxidant and phyto-thingies in chocolate.

Plus, diet theories are like anuses, everyone has one and they all stink. I've seen them come and I've seen them go, and yet I'm still here with my crappy diet while half of them are dead. High carb, low carb, high vitamin, high fat, low protein, low glycemic index, high phyto-thingies, lard and butter will kill you, lard and butter will save you ...... it just goes on and on.

Can I get an amen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 03:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Just looking around now, I saw that the warnings were for the TJ dark chocolates, not milk chocolate, and it seems to be more of a problem with lead than cadmium (in other words, don't feed dark chocolate to very young children, who are so much more sensitive to heavy metals than adults).

No common foods that have been tested are perfectly safe. All of them have toxins to a degree, that's why the great Irish god of healing, Dian Cecht, gave us livers to clear out that stuff.

Nothing's perfectly safe. Not carrots, broccoli, spinach, venison ...... not even water, which can be toxic in large amounts. But those things also have important nutrients and protective substances, such as the antioxidant and phyto-thingies in chocolate.

Plus, diet theories are like anuses, everyone has one and they all stink. I've seen them come and I've seen them go, and yet I'm still here with my crappy diet while half of them are dead. High carb, low carb, high vitamin, high fat, low protein, low glycemic index, high phyto-thingies, lard and butter will kill you, lard and butter will save you ...... it just goes on and on.

Can I get an amen?
ill give you an AMEN on living/eating what you want, rather than not eating foods you like because they are now shamed and guilted

here's another angle

I have one person I see about once a week a customer, somewhat odd, but so what..
I nicknamed him Mulder (xfiles) because he says he monitors ufo activities, he's an odd combination of a prepper, a germ-a-phobe, borderline vegan,,, and clean living survivalist,,,only drinks distilled water ...
he told me a year ago.. to watch out, "the hybrid greys are amongst us" they will buy lots of honey, mushrooms, asparagus and rhubarb... and have a strange fascination with doritos" (chips)
recently he told me he was abducted, they chose him because he was cleaner than most people ....
so now he eats at mcdonalds once a day...
and loads up on reese's peanut butter cups...and plain peanut butter,,, the aliens hate anything peanut butter and chocolate

so there's another reason to buy chocolate bars,

Old 03-19-2015, 11:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
......watch out, "the hybrid greys are amongst us" they will buy lots of honey, mushrooms, asparagus and rhubarb... and have a strange fascination with doritos" (chips)
recently he told me he was abducted, they chose him because he was cleaner than most people ....
Damn, I keep forgetting to buy the rhubarb.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:34 AM

256 posts, read 311,500 times
Tried both milk and bittersweet with almonds. I liked milk better, but expected more from Belgian chocolate.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I like the Endangered Species brand of dark chocolate w/ blueberries in it, get it at Kroeger's. Excellent taste to it. Same w/ Dove dark chocolate. I'll have to try TJ's dark chocolate, too, soon...

Old 03-20-2015, 11:34 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,030 times
I just bought another Pound Plus Dark Chocolate bar (in brown package). I notice there's a red one (also Pound Plus)... it's also dark chocolate and label says 72% Cocoa.

The brown one doesn't have the % Cocoa on the label. Wondering if anyone here knows the difference between the red vs brown version??

BTW, I don't care about all these worrying about what contamination is in the chocolate. I'd rather die than refrain from eating it.

I also have eaten chocolate in Belgium (been there many times). The stuff they don't export are typically the filled variety. I don't really like fillings like cream, caramel, jams, nuts, truffle, etc. and prefer just solid dark chocolate and I find the TJ quality on par with what's in Belgium (as far as unfilled chocolate goes). There are subtle taste and texture differences from diff brands, regions, countries, etc. and the TJ one is hands down one of my favs. Not only that, the price is so reasonable and I don't have to carry it in my suitcase all the way from Belgium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink