Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

Nope, I eat 3 meals a day......that is enough exposure to food for me. All the pushing and pushing of food....here, there and everywhere, not good IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I hate truffle oil. A friend brought me back some when he went on a trip, and it was 100% nasty.
Seems like when it's used in a cooking competition like Master Chef, the judges don't like it.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:04 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
It is highly unlikely there is any truffle in that prized bottle of truffle oil. Most everything out there is a highly refined product with synthetic flavor added. No thank you. I know, I know, not your bottle. Yours is real. Except it's not. It's like using artificial vanilla flavor.

Our kids are in their early 20s. They love to cook! I cannot tell you how many of their friends have asked us to teach them how to cook. My hubs and I are actually putting some lessons together to do some hands on teaching as it wasn't a passing request. They really want to know. My son in college and his girlfriend cook together several nights a week. So my observation is a generation of people who want to know how to cook. I am very excited to pass on what we know

Old 01-09-2020, 07:33 AM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
It is highly unlikely there is any truffle in that prized bottle of truffle oil. Most everything out there is a highly refined product with synthetic flavor added. No thank you. I know, I know, not your bottle. Yours is real. Except it's not. It's like using artificial vanilla flavor.

Mine's real. I make it myself on the rare occasions we splurge on truffles and use the end pieces. I also have truffle butter. We keep both in the freezer.

We watch the cooking channels. Unfortunately, the "game/contest" shows are overtaking the actual cooking show. We actually watch the real cooking shows. The others are just sort of background noise while we are usually cooking, though I will watch the shows like Top Chef or Master Chef as I've actually learned about new techniques and new ingredients we want to try on them. Even some of the "travel" type cooking shows like "The Best of ...", we've had some pretty good meals off of because I'll watch how they are cooked and/or described and then copykat them. So far, everything I've made like that has been good to fantastic. I've got one recipe waiting to be tried, Bayoubaise.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:12 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
I'm cooking more, as is my husband because of the cookie shows. Well cooking shows on YouTube to be exact. We watch Chef John from Food Wishes and everything we've tried of his recipes comes out delicious. I'm making his Greek Lemon Chicken tonight and it's a family favorite. Hubby also has a couple of BBQ guys that he watches and uses recipes from. I also like Croton Crackerjacks on YouTube. I'm making my daughter a raspberry cheesecake for her birthday this month using one of his recipes.

I'm less into the cooking shows than I used to be. I used to watch Master Chef, and some of the others, but they're all so mean on those competition shows, I only like The British Bake Off now.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I might be inclined to try something new by watching the cooking shows, but otherwise the answer is no. I am disappointed in most cooking shows today, seems like most are wearing out their welcome How many times can someone watch Chopped for example? And if it isn't that it is an infamercial.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:21 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I am naturally obsessed with food, YUM. So, I avoid watching cooking-shows......it makes my
obsession worse.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:23 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
We watched a few years ago and just never found them entertaining enough for relaxation. We cook most meals from scratch. In season from things we grow or from friends at the farmers market. The one show I thought down to earth and useful was one that featured Alton Brown back then.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
We watched a few years ago and just never found them entertaining enough for relaxation. We cook most meals from scratch. In season from things we grow or from friends at the farmers market. The one show I thought down to earth and useful was one that featured Alton Brown back then.
Yes, we used to love Alton. I still use some of his recipes. Also love Melissa (not sure of the spelling)and her $10 meals. We watched her from the time she was a contestant of the "food networks future stars, which she won, until her show was cancelled just like all the good shows have been. We too, mostly cook from scratch and if we don't, we don't really need a show to tell us how to heat up a frozen pizza.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:44 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Scratch meals don't need to be complicated either. Simple foods suit my simple mind. Smothered pork chops and baked sweet potatoes with a tomato sliced type meals can be a culinary work of art seasoned right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink