Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Sam's Club has a 24 serving jar for 9.96. I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Our TJ's almond butter is $5.99 now, what gives?
Are you in AZ? (guessing 'verde valley' might be 'green valley') That would be surprising as I found the groceries in AZ to be extremely cheap.

It seems like the price of any almond based thing would be quite variable and prone to spikes, especially with the drought in California.

I can take a look at the price at TJ's later today. I'm off of nut butter for the summer but need to pick up some other stuff.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 PM

465 posts, read 613,938 times
I LOVE almond butter. It's worth the expense to me. But its mine, all mine. I serve peanut butter to everyone else and keep my precious almond butter. I like the marantha brand. It is better for you than peanut butter. Peanuts are "dirtier" from what I hear.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:52 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Almond butter and honey on your favorite toasted bread is amazing, so good!

Every decent-sized health food store has a nut grinder tucked away somewhere. Mostly people use it to make fresh, unsalted peanut butter ....... but lots of people also make their own almond butter using the bulk almonds from the bin. It's a bit cheaper, but it's also slightly more gritty than commercial almond butter.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:45 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Almond butter and honey on your favorite toasted bread is amazing, so good!

Every decent-sized health food store has a nut grinder tucked away somewhere. Mostly people use it to make fresh, unsalted peanut butter ....... but lots of people also make their own almond butter using the bulk almonds from the bin. It's a bit cheaper, but it's also slightly more gritty than commercial almond butter.
Winco has a grinder too--great and cheap too!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:47 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Our TJ's almond butter is $5.99 now, what gives?
Because of the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The price is the price because almonds aren't that easy to grow and they take a lot of water.
"...agriculture uses 80% of the water in California but accounts for less than 2% of the economy. So how much water does almond production alone use? More water is used in almond production than is used by all the residents and businesses of San Francisco and Los Angeles combined."

Read more: Almonds use a lot of water in California - Business Insider
Just went to Trader Joes and wanted to buy some almonds...... on the price.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:15 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
The gourmet chain The Fresh Market has grinder machines in their stores. Push a button and the machine will grind as little or as much as you want--almond butter or peanut butter. The best part is knowing there are no preservatives or anything like that added to it because the only thing in the hoppers are cracked-up nuts. The almond butter that I get is 8.99/lb., while the peanut butter is only 4.99/lb, but the almond butter is still the better seller. I love it when you get it still warm from the machine.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
A layer of almond butter on white bread topped by another layer of cream cheese, fold and eat. It's not healthy, but better than a candy bar.

UCK, really.........cream cheese and almond butter????

UMMMM, that does NOT sound very good!

Old 04-13-2015, 11:37 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UCK, really.........cream cheese and almond butter????

UMMMM, that does NOT sound very good!
It is very delicious, but I get that reaction from everyone because it is a weird combo, one of those treats you just have to try

Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Hmm...someone enlighten me as I honestly don't know anything about this:

do I have to have a special grinder to grind almonds or any nuts?

I have a Ninja chopper at home. Would this suffice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink