Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

I know that tipping is a BIG issue on this board, often discussed and often argued. So when I saw this article, I thought that many people here would like to know about this. (Admittedly, I only skimmed the article -- the hockey game is one and Montreal is losing! -- so don't shoot the messenger if it's not all good.)

Why some restaurants are doing away with tipping

Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
oh boy.

Here's a tip.

Stay away from three ingredient baking recipes.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
oh boy.

Here's a tip.

Stay away from three ingredient baking recipes.
Hey now!

I didn't even buy the applesauce so those cookies are never gonna happen. I bought real cookies instead.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:07 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hey now!

I didn't even buy the applesauce so those cookies are never gonna happen. I bought real cookies instead.
Yeah!! If you are going to have cookies, go for the good ones!!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:26 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
The comments on that article are all kinds of stupid. In essence, "pay your employees more but don't raise prices you charge me."

Old 04-20-2015, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I know that tipping is a BIG issue on this board, often discussed and often argued. So when I saw this article, I thought that many people here would like to know about this. (Admittedly, I only skimmed the article -- the hockey game is one and Montreal is losing! -- so don't shoot the messenger if it's not all good.)

Hello, to me this is exactly the same as tipping. The management is going to up the cost of drinks and meals. The biggest advantage is the ease and not having to figure things out, but my guess, from experience is tips will eventually be expected. Here is an example: about 6 or 8 years ago the cruise lines decided to replace tipping with a DSC. What happened after that? It seems some, like the cabin stewards expected a little more; so what did most of us do, if our service was exceptional? We paid our DSC and left an envalope for those who went above and beyond. Now we pay both. My guess, it will happen in the restaurant world as well. People will just hand their wait person a little extra.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hello, to me this is exactly the same as tipping. The management is going to up the cost of drinks and meals. The biggest advantage is the ease and not having to figure things out, but my guess, from experience is tips will eventually be expected. Here is an example: about 6 or 8 years ago the cruise lines decided to replace tipping with a DSC. What happened after that? It seems some, like the cabin stewards expected a little more; so what did most of us do, if our service was exceptional? We paid our DSC and left an envalope for those who went above and beyond. Now we pay both. My guess, it will happen in the restaurant world as well. People will just hand their wait person a little extra.
I knew that I should have read the whole article -- instead of skimming it -- before I posted it.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:09 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:

I guess that is fine but the best waiters will walk as they will be taking a large cut in pay.

By the way, when I worked in a Manhattan hospital in 1984, the dishwashers in the kitchen were making $15 an hour, the cooks about $20. That was THIRTY years ago.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I think it will attract better workers for a while. Then miminum wage will catch up and other low pay jobs will be comparable. Honestly, if you're a good server, you can do better than minimum wage on tips.

The restaurant may lose a little business if someone doesn't realize the no tipping thing and sees the higher prices. I've stopped eating out as much since a sit down meal has started averaging $15 per person. I can do take out for less and cut out that $2.50+ drink, appetizers and dessert. No temptation to give in and get that stuff. (Not a problem for me, but my husband rarely says no.) I recently learned that some people have decided you should tip for take out. I haven't accepted that yet.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I don't think that the customers should be charged an administrative fee by restaurant owners in order for them to increase their servers' wages. The restaurant owners should be paying their servers a livable salary so they wouldn't need to rely on tips to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink