Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 03:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholasa View Post
Look at how much food do we through in the trash.

Americans throw out more food than plastic, paper, metal, and glass - The Washington Post

Now, imagine if this food was saved to feed the hungry people and the homeless.
How to do this?

1) Every neighborhood would collect some money to buy a big refrigerator.
2) Put the refrigerator in a seen place at the entrance of the neighborhood.
3) Every home in the neighborhood collect the left over food and put it in a box with the date on it.
4) While driving to work in the morning put this box in the refrigerator.
5) Spreading the word between your co-workers and friends while make others adopt the same idea and we will kill the hunger.
Hungry people and homeless will now have a way to eat this food instead of throwing it away.

Please share your thoughts and ways to improve.
here's a thought,, any death row inmate (in prison) without possibility of parole,,give them an option,,,to die peacefully

thousands will take this option...

then from the savings,,,,build a halfway house for the homeless (shelters)
(it costs 40-50k per yr for one inmate!!) 10 yrs that's 400, 000!!! 1 inmate!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:26 PM

48,556 posts, read 34,920,300 times
We have a pretty big homeless problem here. The main problem? Is the homeless do not want to move to homeless shelters because they do not want to follow rules.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 PM

12,063 posts, read 10,289,467 times
I watched a pbs special last night and they mentioned a Good Samaritan food donation act. It's called the Emerson bill or something like that.

Protects food donation from lawsuit if they were not doing it in a malicious way.

Food Donation Connection - Donate Food - Harvest Program

Old 04-23-2015, 05:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times

I'm thinking what the 300 or so people who didn't respond to this thread were probably thinking:

It's all fun and games until someone has to clean the refrigerator.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:36 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,159,629 times
One problem: liability. All it would take would be for one person to say that they'd been made sick by the "Free fridge" food.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,291,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kholasa View Post
Look at how much food do we through in the trash.

Americans throw out more food than plastic, paper, metal, and glass - The Washington Post

Now, imagine if this food was saved to feed the hungry people and the homeless.
How to do this?

1) Every neighborhood would collect some money to buy a big refrigerator.
2) Put the refrigerator in a seen place at the entrance of the neighborhood.
3) Every home in the neighborhood collect the left over food and put it in a box with the date on it.
4) While driving to work in the morning put this box in the refrigerator.
5) Spreading the word between your co-workers and friends while make others adopt the same idea and we will kill the hunger.
Hungry people and homeless will now have a way to eat this food instead of throwing it away.

Please share your thoughts and ways to improve.
It won't happen.
Hospitals and many other area businesses that had a cafeteria used to take all of their daily leftover food that was cooked that day to Soup Kitchens.
That got stopped by law because it was considered contaminated or something like that by the Health Departments.

Nice idea but will not become a reality.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,360,355 times
I've written ad nauseum about it on the Politics thread, but the high school cafeteria where I work throws enough food away in the dumpster to feed a third world country. The kids are required to take a serving of fruit on their tray, but most do not eat it. We throw tons of fresh apples, tangerines, oranges, bananas, cellophane wrapped pineapple slices, etc. every week. The cafeteria monitor stands at the lunch line and instructs the kids to take the fruit. She's not at the dish room counter to see that beautiful fruit pitched in the trash. A couple of our workers have requested to be allowed to retrieve some of those discarded apples to take home to their horses, pigs, etc. (it's a rural area), but this is denied.

On Fridays, some of the perishable foods like salads, sandwiches, and mayo based items
that will not "keep" or that have had their reheating limit are divided up with the staff to take home. I once rescued half a steamer tray of untouched brocolli (I made cream of brocolli soup with it), but so much of the good food is pitched when staff does not want it. If the milk cartons' expiration date is over the weekend, that is offered as well. I've frequently taken a gallon or more of it home in half pint cartons. This food would be ideal to distribute to a food bank, in my opinion, but our borough food bank closes at 12 noon on Fridays.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 04-24-2015 at 12:18 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 AM

After staying a couple weeks in Thailand I realized that my garbage would be a treasure trove to someone in a third world country. Milk container? Used to take to work for water. Any food... most people are hungry enough never to let anything go to waste. Cans? Saw them pounded flat and used as roofing materials for the shanties they lived in at job sites... etc. It really made me look at things differently.

A homeless man asked me for money in San Francisco.... I told him I had no cash but he was welcome to the doggie bag I was carrying. He asked what it was, and then declined. I'VE been hungry enough that I would have taken any food and eaten it, but obviously he wasn't THAT hungry.

The OP obviously has a good heart, but until they change laws not much can happen.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,712,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We have a pretty big homeless problem here. The main problem? Is the homeless do not want to move to homeless shelters because they do not want to follow rules.
Let's face it...some of the 'rules ' are pretty draconian....people that are homeless are still people and need to met where they are at....rather than pushed aside further.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Let's face it...some of the 'rules ' are pretty draconian....people that are homeless are still people and need to met where they are at....rather than pushed aside further.
I'm sure some are. The ones here are just no booze/drugs, curfew unless work, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink