Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:07 PM

416 posts, read 560,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
For the longest time , you saw mostly male chefs in restaurants but most men did not like to cook at home. 30, 40, 50 years ago did men do any home cooking? Seems like it has recently become a thing where men cook at home and actually like it. Am I wrong? Also, it seems like men used to be looked at as being 'girly' for liking/knowing how to cook (I know people who feel that way about men who bake, too).
Er, because more women than ever are working and not just working but at management levels and higher. People are getting married later, having fewer kids, and getting paid less than their parents when factoring wage inflation. Men have to know how to cook because they're likely to be single for a long while, can't afford to eat out every day, and their girlfriends aren't about to leave work and slap on an apron just to keep his lazy ass fed.

Second part is the Cable Food network industry that has made celebrities out of chefs. Now 24hrs a day you have someone on TV showing you how to make better food at home than in your typical restauraunt.

Put the two together and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:13 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
Well, the catch is that not all women can cook, it's something you learn and not something a gender just knows how to do. Early in my dad's marriage with my mother, dad would go to work 8-10 hours a day and then come home to what he would hopefully find a decently prepared meal since at the time, she couldn't work as I was still an infant. Unfortunately, mom didn't really know much about cooking and had some pretty amazing experiences in the kitchen. Dad still sometimes reminisces about the time he came home to "fried" pork chops, except they weren't so much fried as much as they were burned to a crisp, and a fork could barely stick into the meat.

She got better, and she got a LOT better with time. She ended up cooking for the fire department and the police, she learned how to bake really well, and most of her recipes were homemade from both sides of the family. In time she became a heck of a cook! And eventually dad learned how to cook things that wasn't just grilled because he wanted to help his wife, AND he also cleaned!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:46 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times
I have always enjoyed baking and cooking. I used to be really big on baking, before I had to go gluten free. Would make things from scratch and loved the joy and stress release it provided. Then I started to get better and cooking because I wanted things that were not gluten free modified for myself to be gluten free. I think it is an important life skill, to know how to cook. I think this is all part of being able to take care of yourself. I am a guy, if that was not clear to anyone reading this post.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,050,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I have always enjoyed baking and cooking. I used to be really big on baking, before I had to go gluten free. Would make things from scratch and loved the joy and stress release it provided. Then I started to get better and cooking because I wanted things that were not gluten free modified for myself to be gluten free. I think it is an important life skill, to know how to cook. I think this is all part of being able to take care of yourself. I am a guy, if that was not clear to anyone reading this post.
Yep! It certainly works for me. While I have always enjoyed cooking outdoors and breakfast, it is only the past few years that I have really enjoyed the "indoor" kitchen. I think it also has something to do with my aversion to eating out. The poor quality of casual dining offerings, IMHO, has made it an easy choice.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
For the longest time , you saw mostly male chefs in restaurants but most men did not like to cook at home. 30, 40, 50 years ago did men do any home cooking? Seems like it has recently become a thing where men cook at home and actually like it. Am I wrong? Also, it seems like men used to be looked at as being 'girly' for liking/knowing how to cook (I know people who feel that way about men who bake, too).
All the men in my family cook well and enjoy doing it. And we don't leave the kitchen a mess, either.

I guess the only thing that I don't like about it is the expectation that I will host large dinners at the local churches or other events as I have a reputation.

Everybody should learn to cook. There are young folks of either sex who think that the way you cook is buy something at Costco and heat it up. In general, the more expensive the kitchen, the more likely I will be served Costco food (as opposed to scratch cooking).

Old 04-22-2015, 09:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
I wonder about the OP's perspective on this and what kind of environment he came from. I never thought of cooking as something cool - where does that come from? As a kid, mom cooked regular, nutritious, tasteless meals. Her mother was a great cook, but she didn't have eight kids.

Possibly as a result, all the kids, except the oldest and the one girl all cook and cook well; go figure. I cooked a little before I got married and have cooked a lot since then, mostly out of self defense. An early married meal by the wife was hamburgers cooked in a toaster oven (right next to a full sized stove with broiler?) Forty five minutes at high heat sounds about right, doesn't it?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 PM

19,772 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I'm 47 and I learned to cook when I was 13-14 yo. I was a latch key kid in the late 70's-80's so I had to fend for myself.

Stir-fry was my first perfected dish.

I didn't see it as cool. I saw it as a way to eat what I liked and wanted. We had little in the way of boxed crap (thank-God).

Old 04-22-2015, 11:36 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,619,738 times
Easy way to get a woman to come over to your apartment.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:35 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,032 times
I've known how to and have cooked for the last 40 years.... Who the heck cares if it is cool or not.. I can make myself a meal and not have to eat fast food or at a restaurant all the time....

Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I wonder about the OP's perspective on this and what kind of environment he came from. I never thought of cooking as something cool - where does that come from? As a kid, mom cooked regular, nutritious, tasteless meals. Her mother was a great cook, but she didn't have eight kids.

Possibly as a result, all the kids, except the oldest and the one girl all cook and cook well; go figure. I cooked a little before I got married and have cooked a lot since then, mostly out of self defense. An early married meal by the wife was hamburgers cooked in a toaster oven (right next to a full sized stove with broiler?) Forty five minutes at high heat sounds about right, doesn't it?
sounds about right. lol I came from an environment where my mom did all the cooking (and most of the time she did the cleanup after with no help from dad). I never was taught how to cook and neither were my two brothers. My mom gives me tips now when we talk on the phone . As a single man who lives alone, I will take all the help I can get because there is not a lot that I know how to cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink