Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 09:20 AM

779 posts, read 927,277 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good ORGANIC frozen dinners?

**EDIT** I already know about Amy's.

Last edited by LongNote; 05-02-2015 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
I only know of the Amy's line of products. I can't really speak to how good they are. I tend to skip them because they're meatless, and I'm a "meatavore"

Old 05-02-2015, 10:04 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times
Is Evol organic? I can't remember now. I've had some of their food and liked it. Expensive but tastes better than the cheaper frozen dinners

Old 05-02-2015, 04:24 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Kashi, Amy's, Artisan Bistro, Annie Chun's if you like Asian food ...

Ha! Forgot about Evol (=lovE)
EVOL’s products have no artificial flavors, colors, additives, preservatives or fillers. No antibiotics or hormones in meat. Cheese is rBGH, rBST and rennet free. Grains, vegetables and oils are GMOFree.
Also top of the line when it comes to gluten-free frozen foods.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
The only ones I've ever really liked are Kashi, but they're priced ridiculously.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:16 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
They are all priced ridiculously high. In addition to above, Michaelangelo's has some organic Italian. Even their non-organic are really good quality, and reasonably priced.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:04 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
I've gotten some Indian ones that were great!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Honestly, after spending much of my adult life trying to eat healthy frozen meals, I'm gonna say your best bet is to get a chest freezer and a Food Saver vacuum sealer and make your own. That's what I'm doing now, and knowing exactly what is going into my food is really what makes a difference. This is what I'm dining off of - all of the "Dirty Dozen" veggies involved are organic for the most part, and all of the meat is organic:

-London broil pot roast (grass fed, humanely raised) done in the slow cooker. I diced up organic rainbow carrots, mushrooms and poured red wine over it, left it overnight. Added tapioca the next morning to thicken the gravy a bit. It was a bit dry when I tried it after the cooking was done, but after I'd portioned it out and frozen it, it reheated quite nicely and seemed much more moist. I put the meat and veggies over organic mashed potatoes before I froze it too.

-Polenta casserole - polenta base covered with organic pasta sauce, Italian sausage, sauteed zucchini and mushrooms and mozzarella. (Phenomenal, really.)

-Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas. Corn tortillas wrapped around sauteed sweet potato, black bean and red pepper, with some salsa added and chili seasoning. Then poured some sauce and shredded cheese over it and baked it.

-Shepherd's pie - ground bison cooked with mushrooms and green beans in red wine, a base of roasted diced parsnips and carrots, and the whole thing topped with organic mashed potatoes.

-Bison chili - chili seasonings, ground bison, salsa, black beans and green onions, all cooked together in the slow cooker.

I just started doing this, but I'm really liking it. It's easy and convenient, and I'm spending my food money more wisely.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:25 AM

412 posts, read 545,429 times
I don't know if Luvo is organic, but they are antibiotic and GMO free. About Us | Luvo

I had their ravioli last week and was surprised by how good it was. One of the best when it comes to frozen dinners.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I'm curious as to why there's a market for organic frozen dinners. I'm having a hard time wrapping around the concept. Whenever I think of why someone might - that reason is squashed by the product's existence.

1) Organic tastes better.
If you're looking for taste, you shouldn't be looking for pre-packaged, pre-portioned, processed frozen foods that you stick in a microwave for a minute. Organic might taste better than non-organic in pre-packaged, but fresh trumps prepackaged. So if I was looking for taste, I would avoid pre-packaged processed foods like the plague, organic or otherwise.
2) Organic is more earth-friendly.
And all that packaging is not.
3) Organic means I won't get pesticides in my food.
No, it means you won't get any pesticides that are not approved for organics in your food. Certain pesticides are allowed in organics.
4) Organic means healthy.
Have you checked the sodium levels of these things? Over 500 mg sodium for something that won't even really fill you up, that contains mostly rice or noodles, and will leave you hungry enough two hours later that if someone had a bag of Doritos open on the snackroom counter you know you'd grab a fistful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink