Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 10:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

We compost, as well. Very little goes to true waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 02:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I would say no for same reason. I was a volunteer at a food bank before I moved away and they only accepted non perishables. They don't have refrigeration.

Well the one my family volunteers at has a huge walk in cold box and several upright commercial freezers. Regularly get donations of produce.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
lots of places would bring food that has already started to spoil that they can't use/sell
When I worked at an animal shelter, one of the near by grocery stores would donate their expired food for the staff. The bakery stuff was always still good and so was some of the fruit. But a lot of the produce had already gone bad and was rotten and moldy. I don't know why they bothered giving us that stuff. I'm guessing they got some sort of tax right off for their donations even though a lot of it just ended up going straight to our dumpsters.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:20 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
legal reasons.. someone gets sick and sues.. besides the little amount of calories in lettuce isn't going to provide much sustenance towards a hungry person and they won't want to eat it without dressing.

Produce spoils. A lot of times it comes into the store with rotten apples or whatever. It gets all bruised up by a very small percentage of people who dig through the pile looking for the perfect one without concern to the others who have to buy some after them... It's the nature of things. There is simply no time to donate it to anywhere before it would spoil more.

On the plus side produce is easy to regrow and the greens decompose albeit in a landfill where they are not much use as fertilizer.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
couldn't they donate it to shelters or food banks for immediate distribution?
The report indicated they do donate to shelters or food banks as well as sending some home with employees - it is the sheer numbers that cause this

Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
I have to paraphrase a post that I made on the Tucson, AZ forum last week:

Last year, when I arrived here, I started attending a number of the farmers market and found out quickly that it would not help my family's food budget. And the quality was not different from what I was buying in the supermarkets.

What bothered me was that the Tucson area should be one of the cheapest produce areas in the US due to its proximity to the farms of Western Mexico (through Rio Rico) and California. Instead, I found the prices to be consistently higher by 20% over what I was paying in the Chicago suburbs.

Several of my neighbors work at the two food banks in Sahuarita and Green Valley and steered me toward an organization called the 3000 Club near downtown Tucson. They offer a "Market on the Move" where you can buy 50# of produce for only $10. They are selling surplus produce donated by the many produce wholesalers and brokers in Rio Rico, AZ. Their expectation is that you will buy and take all 50#, take it home, and distribute it around your neighborhood. What many people do is take the produce home and what they cannot use is donated to the local food bank which is always in need of food in Southern Pima and Santa Cruz counties.

The 3000 Club - A Local and International Service Charitable Organization

==============

This program is possible because charities like the one noted above approached the hundreds of produce wholesalers and distributors in Rio Rico, AZ, a major produce terminal that distributes Mexican produce around the US. The companies get a tax break for their contribution and they avoid the costs of disposing the produce (and there is a cost as disposal is NOT free.). The charities sell the produce raising money to cover all costs and then some. The consumers get the benefit of receiving produce at a cut rate price. We generally buy the produce. We use what we can and distribute the rest to neighbors and to the local food banks.

In cities like St. Louis and Cleveland, many small businessmen purchase the surplus from wholesalers and sell at their local markets (Soulard & West Side Market).

===============

Back to the OP.

There are a lot of reasons why a lot of produce goes straight to the dump. Many of them relate to state laws and contracts with large retailers.

For example, some states require that fruit be of a certain size to be sold out if state. Nectarines and peaches have to be a specific size to be shipped. Fruit that is too small, can only be sold locally or tossed.

On some crops, farmers have certain allotments that they can produce. The rest needs to be destroyed.

Certain large retailers specify that producers pack special size packages of produce for them that cannot be sold to other retailers or grocery chains. The producer may be required by contract to have 150k packages a week; If the retailer only orders 120k, the rest will be disposed of. Most other businesses would probably offer the rest to another buyer BUT the retailer does not want to see the product hit the local surplus stores at 25-50% of their retail price.

In the OP's article, Taylor Farms is a major Costco supplier of lettuce and other salad greens.

=================

I want to do my part of eliminating waste (and helping my food budget). Last month, I was in Indiana and Ohio at a number of the salvage grocery stores purchasing most of the packaged goods that we will be using for the next year. Generally, I can fill up a whole banana box with various groceries for about $30. Buying the same thing at normal retail would approach $100-150 depending on the day.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
hey atleast its biowaste that will break down unlike plastic.
Except if you actually read the article a lot of the lettuce waste filling the landfill is of the bagged variety. An insane amount of energy and petrol products go into making all of the plastic bags used for bagging the lettuce that is simply thrown away. A huge amount of water and oil that was used in all of the farming equipment also goes directly to waste, and this is during a time of extreme drought in CA. Absolutely despicable waste that is morally reprehensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink