Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I am dragging my feet about making jams and jellies from all of the fruit we've recently harvested. It's not that I'm afraid of the technical aspects of it, it just looks like it's going to be a messy PITA.

I've made sauerkraut, preserved lemons, jarred my own honey (talk about sticky), and blanched and bagged broccoli and made gallons of tomato sauce; so it shouldn't be a huge leap. It's just that I don't want to do all of those tedious steps like sterilizing jars, hot water baths, etc, along with everything else like storing the stuff after we finish.

I think I'm getting lazy.
I find canning terribly tedious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Baklava. I tried it once in high school with my mother.

It was a huge time consuming mess, the filo dough was impossible to work with, and it turned out like a weird tasting, soupy mess. Plus nuts are waaaay expensive these days.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:57 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
This got a big win on Top Chef and subsequent rave reviews for its plain old deliciousness. But so many steps! I won't be putting it together anytime soon. Maybe someone will make a big batch and bottle it for Costco or Whole Foods.

http://www.bravotv.com/sites/nbcubra...804-recipe.pdf

Old 06-30-2015, 09:16 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Oh, I just thought of another one: Steak.

I cannot make a tender steak to save my life.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 AM

Steak in a pan is pretty easy. I don't prefer to do steak on a grill, but my husband does.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Steak in a pan is pretty easy. I don't prefer to do steak on a grill, but my husband does.

How do you like your steak? I cannot eat meat with any pink showing.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:57 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I am dragging my feet about making jams and jellies from all of the fruit we've recently harvested. It's not that I'm afraid of the technical aspects of it, it just looks like it's going to be a messy PITA.

I've made sauerkraut, preserved lemons, jarred my own honey (talk about sticky), and blanched and bagged broccoli and made gallons of tomato sauce; so it shouldn't be a huge leap. It's just that I don't want to do all of those tedious steps like sterilizing jars, hot water baths, etc, along with everything else like storing the stuff after we finish.

I think I'm getting lazy.
You can do this! It's not as messy or cumbersome/time-consuming as it sounds, I promise. It surprises me every year how quickly and smoothly it actually goes! You can make jam in an hour from start to finish, really! I bend the rules a bit and have never had a problem with spoilage, even when jams and jellies sit in the pantry for years and years.

- Run your jars through the dishwasher then place them in a hot oven to sterilize.
- Place your lids in a saucepan of almost-simmering water to soften the rubber
- Buy the Sure-Jell pectin (their recipes are FAST and tasty) and follow the directions for specific fruit, except...

I do not process my jams in a water bath or anything of the sort after I fill the jars and screw the lids down tight. This saves a ton of time and I believe the less-cooked preserves are tastier. As long as the lid pops to show a seal (99.9% of the time it seals as it cools, within a few hours), I have zero problem storing the jams in the pantry for eons. In the very rare instance a jar doesn't seal, eat that one first.

A few tools that are helpful (but not necessary): a large (somewhat heavy-bottomed) soup pot for cooking the jam (keeps splashes to a minimum), a canning funnel to save messes when pouring jam into jars, and an Oveglove for grabbing onto hot jars.

Regarding the original post: bring on the challenges. I love it all!

Old 06-30-2015, 01:03 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
I think tender steak has to do with the cut of meat. I also think steak is more tender the less time you cook it. I don't like my meat pink either, so it's hard for me to cook steak at home. Husband does it on the grill, and it's pretty tender. We make sure we get a really marbled cut of New York strip.

One time I made beef jerky from London Broil (flank I guess) cut really thin by the butcher. The end pieces that were a bit thick I decided to sear in a really hot oiled pan for about 30 seconds on each side. They tasted okay but tough.

I tend to only like steak cooked in a slow cooker until it's falling apart tender, usually in a stew.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I think tender steak has to do with the cut of meat. I also think steak is more tender the less time you cook it. I don't like my meat pink either, so it's hard for me to cook steak at home. Husband does it on the grill, and it's pretty tender. We make sure we get a really marbled cut of New York strip.

One time I made beef jerky from London Broil (flank I guess) cut really thin by the butcher. The end pieces that were a bit thick I decided to sear in a really hot oiled pan for about 30 seconds on each side. They tasted okay but tough.

I tend to only like steak cooked in a slow cooker until it's falling apart tender, usually in a stew.

Now, I can do the slow cooker, lol. I try to make it in the oven - I DO NOT grill - and it turns out tough. Hubby can cook it either way and it's fabulous.

He cooks his on low for hours. I can do the exact same thing and get totally different results. Frustrating.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
How do you like your steak? I cannot eat meat with any pink showing.
I generally eat mine medium. My husband prefers medium to medium rare.

I get a good crust on a ribeye cooked medium by getting a nice sear on room temp meat in a buttery skillet, about 3 minutes a side, then finishing in the oven for about another three. Dependent upon thickness, but this usually works out fine.

I tend to prefer the flavor of pan seared to grilled, but if my husband's cooking, I'm not gonna look a grilled steak in the mouth.

I'll do roast or stew meat in a slow cooker, but not steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink