Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:44 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Wait for it to cool off? I like my food hot. Anyway, if I wait, the minions will get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:48 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
I hate hot food, but I can't wait more than five minutes for something to cool off (besides chicken and dumplings, those take forever to cool off). I blow and then I eat the food, even if it's still a little bit hot.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I like and serve food hot.

Fishing ice cubes out of a drink at a restaurant to dilute the soup?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
but i hope you don't go out to eat with others very often....because it becomes rude.
How is it rude to wait for your food to cool off?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
How is it rude to wait for your food to cool off?
So let me make sure I get this straight. You have no issue with waiting for 40 minutes for your dinner partner to let their baked potato cool off? At a restaurant?

Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I am not used to eating hot food bc of almost 20 years in medicine, where you grab what you can and down it asap so you can get back to work.

Now room temp or maybe (if indulging) slightly above is what I prefer.

My wife hates it and is always trying to heat food for me bc she wants me to really enjoy it, but I do enjoy it.

*shrug*

It does not take that long to cool at a restaurant.
5-10 min, max. Which I make up for through eating time (I only usually eat half and box the rest).

Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
So let me make sure I get this straight. You have no issue with waiting for 40 minutes for your dinner partner to let their baked potato cool off? At a restaurant?
40 minutes, no, but long enough that even I can see the steam no longer coming off it? Yeah. But then again, I'm one of those that likes food to not be so hot you can't taste it. *shrugs*

Old 06-30-2015, 08:30 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
40 minutes, no, but long enough that even I can see the steam no longer coming off it? Yeah. But then again, I'm one of those that likes food to not be so hot you can't taste it. *shrugs*
Well that's normal, not the 20 to 40 minutes as stated by the OP.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
I'm with you, OP. Sort of.

I HATE hot food. Disgusting, painful, taste over-ridden by pain.

I too find most restaurant food arrives at an edible temperature.

But at home I have various strategies for cooling down food. A lot of times if I cooked something in a pot, I'll fill the smaller sink with cold water and set the pot in it, sometimes stirring the food and wafting water against the outside and bottom of the pot to cool it. Other times I just stick it in the freezer for a bit (microwave food). Sometimes I just set it on the top shelf of the pantry (I have an 8x10 walk-in pantry) and close the door so it can sit and cool and I don't have to smell it or see it. I often like warm to slightly warm, but never "hot."

Yes, sometimes the time required to cool, if just left out, can be 20+ minutes.

Oh, I also put water or ice cubes in my coffee. If I order coffee at a restaurant, I ask them to fill the cup half full so I have room to add water or ice.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,540,055 times
With the exception of a sizzling plate coming to rest on the table in front of me, most of my food has been an easy 5 mins or less wait time before consuming. Hot soups and/or chilis, have been told to eat [when I was a kid] using spoon to scoop up along the edge where it's usually cooler than right in the middle. I have not really had a problem burning my tongue or the upper ridges of my mouth like I have in the past with scarfing down a pizza when I'm especially hungry. Maybe within a 10 minute wait for a pizza right out of the oven?

I remember my Mom used to put an ice cube in her coffee. I've never had to do that. Nor did I ever do that. I have had coffee tho that was way too hot for me to sip, so I may take a few extra minutes on something like that. I do like my coffee hot as opposed to being cold (unless it was meant that way, ala Frappaccino, and such) but at the same time, a cup of hot coffee should not be so hot that it burns your lips either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink