Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

GA is a huge agricultural state. There is no reason to buy tomatoes, peaches, melons, squash, corn, etc from out-of-state sources this time of year. You should invest in these storage containers. They are terrific for keeping produce fresh for days longer than I've ever had it last before.

http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Prog...age+containers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
GA is a huge agricultural state. There is no reason to buy tomatoes, peaches, melons, squash, corn, etc from out-of-state sources this time of year. You should invest in these storage containers. They are terrific for keeping produce fresh for days longer than I've ever had it last before.

http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Prog...age+containers

Thank you, Mattie!! I think I'd seen those before but I never knew they are so good. Will get them. Do you happen to know of any walk-in store that might carry them so I can look at different sizes, etc?

And next Saturday I will go to the nearest Farmer's Market - far or not far - you guys managed to motivate me.

If I received the confirmation that the flavorless produce in chain grocery stores is not just something in my head and that the problem COULD be fixed, at least partially, by shopping mainly at a FM, then there is still hope.
It would be nice to find most of my produce in one place - so hopefully they also have carrots, onions, peppers, celery, lettuce, etc - not just tomatoes, which is what I usually see at small FM-s in the summer.

Either way, I look forward to some improvement in the meals - or else, I'll throw in the towel with all this "cooking from scratch" time-killer thing and just serve candy at every dinner table. :-))

Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
You should probably pose your question on the Atlanta forum. We can't really help you with where to get produce as well as they can.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:19 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
I have been in North America since I was 16 and I am now 57. I still miss two things quite badly from home (the UK) -- strawberries and tomatoes. Pure flavour. In all these years I've never ever tasted any as good from the stores both in Canada and the US. I don't know why. Only if it's home grown here, is it the same wonderful flavour as at home. So I guess the flavour has been compromised by US breeders who try to make larger, sturdier produce? Or maybe in the case of strawberries and tomatoes, the climate is better over there, I've no idea. Hmm, the celery and rhubarb is also better over there.

I wondered if I was romanticizing my memories but whenever I went back on holiday, there it was, that wonderful taste, no mistake.

So I keep saying I'll grow my own, and I never do... but last year my neighbour grew tomatoes and wow... we almost fainted from pleasure, eating them She also grew cucumbers. There was a LOT more taste to those and such a crispy texture. In my compost heap last year I found a butternut squash growing!! It lasted 6 months on my kitchen counter before I ate it.. and it was the most amazing taste imaginable. The ones I buy in the stores don't last a month so you can tell how long the stores have had them...

Old 07-18-2015, 10:26 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I have been in North America since I was 16 and I am now 57. I still miss two things quite badly from home (the UK) -- strawberries and tomatoes. Pure flavour. In all these years I've never ever tasted any as good from the stores both in Canada and the US. I don't know why. Only if it's home grown here, is it the same wonderful flavour as at home. So I guess the flavour has been compromised by US breeders who try to make larger, sturdier produce? Or maybe in the case of strawberries and tomatoes, the climate is better over there, I've no idea. Hmm, the celery and rhubarb is also better over there.

I wondered if I was romanticizing my memories but whenever I went back on holiday, there it was, that wonderful taste, no mistake.

So I keep saying I'll grow my own, and I never do... but last year my neighbour grew tomatoes and wow... we almost fainted from pleasure, eating them She also grew cucumbers. There was a LOT more taste to those and such a crispy texture. In my compost heap last year I found a butternut squash growing!! It lasted 6 months on my kitchen counter before I ate it.. and it was the most amazing taste imaginable. The ones I buy in the stores don't last a month so you can tell how long the stores have had them...
You are romanticizing things...I was in England last year...the tomatoes were okay....but I'll put a home or local farm grown beefsteak to taste just as good...better compared to some meals I had.

Produce at Tesco was no treat....

Old 07-18-2015, 10:28 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:

I once tried to grow my own tomatoes and I got about 3 per the entire summer.

Those who advise modern people with corporate-type jobs to have a garden and grow their own vegetables...I am not sure whether they are just pretending or it really is THAT easy to do even with a day job...and I was just a miserable failure at something that easy.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:32 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Those who advise modern people with corporate-type jobs to have a garden and grow their own vegetables...I am not sure whether they are just pretending or it really is THAT easy to do even with a day job...and I was just a miserable failure at something that easy.
I grow tomatoes, peppers and herbs on the balcony of my condo...and I get a lot more than three the entire season...takes me 5 to 10 minutes to water the plants every morning....once in awhile I put in some fetilizer to the water.

Really not that hard from someone that works a corporate job. You are making excuses.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:14 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I think the posts show that OP just wants an excuse to whine.

As we all have said multiple times, if you want garden fresh produce, get off your duff and get it! It is readily available in your area.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:29 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

I'm a modern person with a corporate-type job and I have a vegetable garden. For several years, I grew vegetables year-round, but have cut back to just the summer. It's extremely possible. Just about everyone I know who grows vegetables in their back yard have full-time jobs. It is a skill, though, and you have to be willing to learn how. I've seen some pretty amazing container gardens by people in condos or apartments too.

Part of your problem is that you're in the south. It seems like every time someone from here in California visits the south (New Orleans being an exception), they come back and complain that everything is fried and restaurants don't know what a salad is. That you don't have a farmer's market nearby indicates that probably isn't an exaggeration.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:46 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:

I've grown strawberries and tomatoes. Those are the very best. Now, I can buy decent berries in season at the roadside stand. Good tomatoes are hit or miss. Even the farm stand doesn't always have good ones. I guess it's the variety or they pick them too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink