Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 04:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
But she didn't attack an entire culture. She simply said the produce she had eaten here sucked compared to Europe...
So, she sampled produce from every county, in every state, during all seasons? If not, she had very limited data on which to base her opinion.

Quote:
There are many aspects of the USA that I think suck, such as the level of imprisonments or the reduction of food stamps in the face of tax breaks for rich people and multinational corporations...
Sounds like you need to hang-out in the Politics forum.

I experienced great produce in the UK, but it was always seasonally available. If you want the same great produce in the US, buy it in season, but don't fault the entire country because supermarket customers want all produce available all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 04:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
So, she sampled produce from every county, in every state, during all seasons? If not, she had very limited data on which to base her opinion.

Sounds like you need to hang-out in the Politics forum.

I experienced great produce in the UK, but it was always seasonally available. If you want the same great produce in the US, buy it in season, but don't fault the entire country because supermarket customers want all produce available all the time.
Yes, she had limited data. That's why she asked about it. And again, she didn't fault the entire country, though she may have tended to generalize a bit too much on limited data. As most of us do occasionally.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What do you bet she never visited the market..Well, maybe I am wrong, she just hasn't come back to tell us. I am waiting for her dislike of some other American foods other than produce and the cost of meats.

Oh, Lordy.
Are some of you, guys here for real?

You know, I heard this line at my son's school - "save the drama for your mama". Good line.

I haven't even read the rest of the thread because it turned into something so ridiculous, where weirdly nationalistic people feel "pinched" over ridiculous things and extrapolate from vegetables to an entire nation/culture and how others hate their nation because they reported on cardboard veggies.
Geez...you might want to look deeper into all that sensitivity.

Requested update: did not make it to the Saturday Farmer's Market because we were out of town.
The fact that these markets are only available once-twice a week, 4 hours a day, was one of the things I was alluding to earlier when we discussed accessibility, availability, etc.
(Yes, where I come from, FM's are daily, morning to evening, also walking distance for the vast majority of the population. No, this alone will not cause me to go home).

Bought some heirloom tomatoes from WH when they were on sale: VERY NICE and VERY flavorful.
At 3$/lb it was barely doable and for the most part, worth it.
At 5.99$/lb - which is the usual WF price for such items - I will not buy.

Bought some peaches from a farmer's stand: VERY NICE and juicy (clear difference from the spongy disasters often sold at chain grocery stores).

I had some tomatoes at my MIL's house that had been brought to her from someone's yard: VERY NICE. Between those and the WF heirlooms, I would pick the WF heirlooms. Those seem to be the best I have had.

I intend to go to the closest FM asap to see if I can find more fresh, locally grown veggies - particularly heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, green beans and lettuce.

Yes, it is clear that much better produce than what is available at grocery stores CAN be obtained with some effort.
Is this effort always doable? For me, not (just like it happened this week).
I suspect for a good number of people - same.

Thankfully, I have this small stand nearby and this is good enough for now.
It was my fault in the past that I did not buy my produce at this guy's stand during the warm season.

Looking forward to more heirlooms.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Glad you found good peaches and tomatoes. The peaches are glorious this year! Still waiting for my garden tomatoes to ripen, but they're well on the way. I grow only cherry tomatoes, because they do best in my yard, but, like you, I've found good heirloom tomatoes at WF. Green beans should be hitting here any moment, but your season might be a little before mine. It's too late for good local tender lettuces. They're best in spring, before the heat hits and they bolt. Carrots, cabbage, broccoli, winter greens, and cauliflower will be at their best after the first cold snap, so you'll have to wait awhile to get something good. Apples will be at their peak come September and October. Pumpkins and winter squash right around the same time.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Yeah, when I grew lettuce I never tried to get heads, but would plant a leaf variety thickly and pick individual leaves about every day, of a variety known to tolerate heat better ..... it's a bit more work to gather than heads, but tastes great and lasts much longer before bolting.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:42 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
She simply said the produce she had eaten here sucked compared to Europe, and she wanted to know if there was any way to get something better.
And when she was given suggestions, none of them were good enough for her.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
But she didn't attack an entire culture. She simply said the produce she had eaten here sucked compared to Europe, and she wanted to know if there was any way to get something better.

There are many aspects of the USA that I think suck, such as the level of imprisonments or the reduction of food stamps in the face of tax breaks for rich people and multinational corporations, even though I wouldn't attack all of America.
I think you are getting into politics now and this is a food forum.

BTW, read her other comments about meat and even canned tomatoes.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes! That's Denio's. about 30 years ago I lived in a different part of Northern California and would go there on Sunday afternoon. If you went there an hour before they closed you could drive some hard bargains with the sellers who knew that what they couldn't sell would most likely go to waste. At the time I was a single working mom and money was TIGHT (no child support) God bless Denio's it allowed me to raise my kids with a steady supply of fresh fruits and veggies
I wasn't a single mom, but we did, with 3 kids have to watch our pennies. We were a little closer than you to the market and yes, we would go late on Sunday afternoon, bargain and get really great fresh produce.

Good for you, caring about what your kids ate. I hope they learned to appreciate fresh foods.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:52 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
No, this alone will not cause me to go home.
I really do not care if you "go home" or not. If you do there are lots of people who would love to be here.

I actually have been having a good few weeks in produce, grapes, tomatoes, avocados, corn, leafy greens. Phenomenal. I guess I never think about it until it gets bad in the winter and I have the less tasty ones available, but at least they are available.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:54 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And when she was given suggestions, none of them were good enough for her.
Everything in this country is worse than "her country" but she stays here. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink