Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 08:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Unfortunately I can count on LESS than one hand the foods I won't eat -- PERIOD.

Olives are the only fruit or vegetable on the list (that I can think of)

(the other foods are cottage cheese, and oatmeal)
When I think of the question the OP asked, I don't think of food I will not eat, I think, more about foods I don't like. Last night we had Okra, I don't it but I did eat it.

You mention olives, that is one food spoiled brat doesn't like either. He will pick them out of almost anything excecpt Tomale Pie.

I have noticed a lot of people don't like mangos; I think they might be my very favorite fruit. They are a pain to cut and seem like a lot of waste, but oh, if they are sweet, they are so good. Of course I think a lot of people don't like the texture. I understand that; again, it is back to texture with a lot of foods. Avocado is another one, I love, but I can see how the texture might bother some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Fruit:
Mango
Apples that are sweet and tart
Bananas (but I'm severely allergic anyway)

Veggies:
Avocado
Okra
Kale
Black olives

Old 08-11-2015, 09:22 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When I think of the question the OP asked, I don't think of food I will not eat, I think, more about foods I don't like. Last night we had Okra, I don't it but I did eat it.

You mention olives, that is one food spoiled brat doesn't like either. He will pick them out of almost anything excecpt Tomale Pie.

I have noticed a lot of people don't like mangos; I think they might be my very favorite fruit. They are a pain to cut and seem like a lot of waste, but oh, if they are sweet, they are so good. Of course I think a lot of people don't like the texture. I understand that; again, it is back to texture with a lot of foods. Avocado is another one, I love, but I can see how the texture might bother some people.
Many folks may not have ever had a good one. Alot of fibery, mealy mangoes out there.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
parsnips are animal fodder IMO disgusting!

Brussel sprouts take a close second along with eggplant. Gag!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I gobble up a dip made with avocados, olive oil, salt and pepper, minced fresh garlic cloves and black olives. Mix that in a blender smoosh it onto crackers. So yummy and good for you!

Also love Mangos! Go to a search engine and type out "how to cut mangoes" Much easier.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:34 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I gobble up a dip made with avocados, olive oil, salt and pepper, minced fresh garlic cloves and black olives. Mix that in a blender smoosh it onto crackers. So yummy and good for you!

Also love Mangos! Go to a search engine and type out "how to cut mangoes" Much easier.
The dip sounds good, but then again, the mushy texture of avocado makes for a good dip but not so good when it stands alone. The first time I had a slice of avocado in a salad, I bit it and thought, "Is this something that's gone bad?" It seemed too soft.

This was last year, by the way, lol. It took me years to even try guacamole. Finding an avocado in a salad was a decision-making moment: Eat it, or surreptitiously toss it under the table? I tried it, and found that it's a mushy food with no flavor at all. I did learn to like guac, and the avocado works as a base because having no taste, it absorbs all the other flavors.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Kumquats. I don't hate them, but they do nothing for me. It's basically like eating a twist of orange peel. I like them as an ingredient in place of other citrus, but I have no desire to eat them like other fruits.

I can only think of one fruit or vegetable I have had and hated (and I have tried a lot!) I bought something that looked like small cherry tomatoes at a local Hmong farmers market. I ate one raw and it was absolutely horrid--sour and bitter and sharp and it left a lingering coating of that awful taste in my mouth. Perhaps there is a way to prepare it that makes it delicious, but I have no idea what it is to look it up and try to find out (and I have no interest in experimenting further if that means tasting it again as it was!)

Old 08-11-2015, 10:49 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I would think unless you have a small range of experience, almost everyone can find a fruit or vegetable they don't like. Maybe not one they find revolting to the point of inedibility, but one that they would never willingly choose or that they would prefer to be left out of a dish they otherwise enjoy.

For me, there are several tropical fruits that I was exposed to when I worked at an oriental/world grocery that I didn't especially care for such as taro.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:55 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
I like the taste of apples... and the crunch.........but they make me wretch.

Now vegetables............lima beans. I love other beans, but not limas.

Eggplant............come on.....it doesn't even taste good........and the texture!

Beets..........taste like dirt. Smell like dirt.

I don't mind cilantro!

Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
All this talk about avocados is making me realize I haven't had any guacamole in a LONG time. Its probably one of my favorite foods. I need to get on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink