Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:51 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,690,327 times

Advertisements

Agree with Island City Girl, you can stuff sushi with just about anything like:
- Fried panko breaded asparagus with cream cheese
- Cucumber
- Avocado
- Krab salad (California roll)
- Shrimp (frozen, then cook)
- Fried quail eggs
- Unagi (cooked eel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 02:55 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Do you have any Asian markets nearby? I like my sushi (maki) wrapped in soy paper -- it's thin and isn't tough like nori can be -- and Asian markets typically carry it. They would also carry nori.

Actually, you don't need either. Inside-out rolls have the rice on the outside and the "stuff" on the inside, with no nori or soy paper at all anywhere. Sushi rice is sticky enough to hold it all together.
I recently had an Inside-out roll and true the rice is on the outside but there was Nori on the inside (hence the term inside-out). Perhaps, it is a regional difference.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:03 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I recently had an Inside-out roll and true the rice is on the outside but there was Nori on the inside (hence the term inside-out). Perhaps, it is a regional difference.
This is the way I've generally seen it as well. Filling in the middle, then nori, then rice on the outside.

I realize there are all types of sushi and the rice is the main thing, but a maki (roll) without nori just isn't right. What's left? A piece of avocado with rice around it. .

Old 10-08-2015, 03:10 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I need to plan ahead more and order it online. This came up last night with my kids and I figured I could make something work. Sometimes fun to improvise. lol

I need to make an order on amazon for stuff I can't get here. Sesame oil, nori, pickled ginger, wasabi, etc and have a special night of "who can make the best sushi roll".

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

Old 10-08-2015, 03:19 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Thank you all for the help!
I actually have a bamboo mat!(had to order it when I made this yrs ago)

I didn't know if the rice would hold together or not, aka sushi.(thanks for the heads up mati, I'm still learning. lol)

Only bean paste I can get is refried beans, lol. Although with rice and some southern influence might make something interesting.

Gotta think outside the box out here in BFE. Garth Brooks is the newest country singer out here. And Rocky IV is coming out soon!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

I know you are land locked but you have the internet. Since you are behind the times I will shock you

You can buy anything on the internet. How many brands of Nori do you want? Bean paste? You can even have frozen fish - how sushi bars get it - delivered to your house. Don't forget about sashimi.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is the way I've generally seen it as well. Filling in the middle, then nori, then rice on the outside.

I realize there are all types of sushi and the rice is the main thing, but a maki (roll) without nori just isn't right. What's left? A piece of avocado with rice around it. .
You're right but my point was simply that instead of the nori holding it all together, the rice can hold it together just as well.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:24 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
There's a place we love near us and they make one roll using very thinly peeled cucumber. Sort of hard to explain but if you peel a cuke, then cut a slice about an inch think, then start one continuous pare action so you peel the flesh off all the way around and keep going, you should end up with a strip of cucumber - discard the seeds. Then they stuff that or roll it up. I'm not sure how. They serve it on a skewer like a lollypop. and there's a soy/vinegar sauce with it. Yum.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:36 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
You could also try ordering from H Mart which is a Korean supermarket in most major cities in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

Hmart.com: Online Shopping for Asian Grocery, Korean Kimchi, Rice Cookers, Appliances & more at everyday low prices.

We have two big Korean chains here in DC with H Mart and Lotte Plaza.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:32 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Order the sushi rice on Amazon too, sushi just isn't right without sticky rice. I know you don't have access to good fish, we use frozen tuna out here in Colorado but have some good quality stuff, if you don't have any good frozen maybe fish stick sushi can be the next "thing".

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 PM

620 posts, read 639,016 times
Yeah, Jasmine rice def won't work. It's not sticky at all. Short grain glutinous rice is what you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink