Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 04:38 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times

Advertisements

I will not and never have cooked a Christmas dinner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
What is your traditions for your holiday feast??

what is popular in your area ??

in the northeast, "Prime Rib" (bone in rib eye roast) is the preferred centerpiece of the meal
also hams , lamb, pork roasts, crown roasts and ducks/turkeys are popular

I usually cook a bone in rib eye,,,i bone and tie it so its easier to carve
rub it down with oil...season it...let it roast uncovered 15 minutes per lb at 325..
I let the roast come to room temp before I put it in the oven

I also use a thermometer and take out around 125f for rare-medium rare (it will cook another 10 degrees while letting it set on the counter for 20 minutes

by far in this northern new England,, prime rib is the number one special order to a butcher shop or grocery stores' meat department

I realize not everyone has a feast, or holiday celebration,,,feel free to share some food traditions growing up... years ago
Growing up Christmas dinner was a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner. I am surprised I can even eat Turkey we had so much, but things charged many years ago. We always have Prime Rib. This year we will have it at our daughters. There will just be 6 adults and our granddaughters 3 little girls. We also have to have a chicken breast for our granddaughter, she doesn't like beef. Of course with it will be mashed potatoes and a veggie, as well as green salad.

Because NW AR is so full of transplants, I doubt there is any one traditional Christmas dinner here.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,859,092 times
It will be the two of us. Surf and turf, oven warm bread, green salad, mini pecan pies, sippin' bourbon, nuts and a holiday movie I front of the fire. Attire required - PJs.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
We are doing two holiday meals since I didn't do Thanksgiving. Family wants to do on Christmas eve our version of the feast of the 7 fishes. Depending on what's good in the seafood market, we will have at least one pan fried, stuffed and roasted. Also will make bagna cauda and other treats.

On Christmas we have guests coming so it will be a leg of lamb with potatoes and various side dishes. Half of the guests want the garlic/rosemary and the other half want the Persian spiced one. I may get two small legs and do it both ways as I favor the Persian spiced one with toum. Yum.

As for tradition, we aren't traditional at all. If anything we do is traditional is probably a Cuban roast pork dinner. But we aren't doing that this year as they opted for the 7 fishes. I don't mind doing tradition but family likes to try something new around special meals as it's a time of discovery and fun for them. So I guess now that I think about it, tradition for us is doing something different/new. lol

Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Sadly no. If I was I would be good. Eating at relatives, dried overcooked turkey, cold ham, watery mushy dressing. Oh yum.

And of course after the urchins unwrapping thousands of dollars in junk, the cry of "IS THAT ALL" will be heard throughout the house.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:00 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
I have no idea if I'm making anything.

My son will be home on leave - this will be the last time I see him before he goes to Hawaii for his last 3 or so years in the Navy, so I'm not sure if he'll be back before the end of his Navy time. While I'm very sad about it, I'm also very, very excited for him - he's going to have SUCH wonderful adventures!

I wanted to do a special Christmas dinner - prime rib, the works - but husband says no - some beautiful steaks on the grill are what's called for. That's what my son always asks for when he's home on leave - so I suppose I'll put aside my desire to make a beautiful dinner in favor for some inch thick ribeyes. I can always do special sides - his favorites of course - everyone will probably be more comfortable that way, anyway.

He should be home in 10 - COUNT THEM - 10 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a HAPPY HAPPY MISSY!!!!

Last edited by Missy2U; 12-15-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 08:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
^^ How exciting!!

Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 AM

50,368 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We traditionally have prime rib, but this year, it will just be the two of us, and I have two turkeys in the freezer. I am not sure which we'll have yet.
I will try to make it special by having a special cocktail, dessert, and appetizers.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:28 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
No! Thanks Be to Baby Jesus.

First year in at least a decade it's at someone else's house. We will be bringing a few dishes though.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I don't even remember what we had last Christmas. I do remember being so tired from working a double that I had to cancel plans with a friend. It was totally uneventful, but I was excited about having Monsoon our cat come live with us. This year I have time to plan a good meal that will start with crab legs, shrimp, and deviled eggs for an appetizer with a nice bottle of champagne. I will be using the good china and stemware this year. We will make a loaf of home made bread to serve with roasted asparagus, prime rib, a salad, and scalloped potatoes. I like to have a box of good chocolates handy for desert and some good gelato. Later we will have some peppermint tea and some dutch apple pie. This will be the first Christmas in decades that I didn't work one or both days. On Christmas day if we don't have a heart attack in our sleep from all that artery clogging food we will have left overs for dinner and maybe pancakes for breakies. The real fun for me is after Christmas when the shorties come for New Years Eve for maybe a three day sleepover. Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink