Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Last time I had a sit down dinner for 24, we used the Friendship Salem dishes along with the Willoware so all the dishes were blue and white at least. I'd sell one or two of the sets of dishes, but big dish sets don't sell much anymore. Nobody wants ten or twelve of the same dishes, I guess they don't do sit down dinners to entertain much anymore.
Frequently, when we have parties or large family get togethers, we buy disposable plates, bowls, silverware, and cups. Far easier than washing everything. Let alone the storage. For us, there's no point in storing dozens of dishes we only use once or twice a year.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:39 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Frequently, when we have parties or large family get togethers, we buy disposable plates, bowls, silverware, and cups. Far easier than washing everything. Let alone the storage. For us, there's no point in storing dozens of dishes we only use once or twice a year.
That's exactly what my Sister In Law does - she was the keeper of the holidays for several years. Her tables were always beautiful, and the quality of some of the disposable ware really is unbelievable! It's about as far from paper plates and plastic forks and cups as you can get. I remember the first year she did it, we were washing the plates, and she came in the kitchen laughing and told us to just pitch them - we were all gobsmacked!

Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Also living in a box somewhere is a service for twelve with two sets of hostess dishes of a blue and white "Friendship Salem" patterned set of dishes. Made in '77 by a fairly well known manufacturer although I forget whom right at this moment.
Wedgwood Friendship Salem-Blue at Replacements, Ltd

Old 01-11-2016, 05:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
  1. Appetizer
  2. sorbet
  3. salad
  4. sorbet
  5. soup
  6. sorbet
  7. vegetable
  8. meat
  9. rice
  10. second vegetable
  11. dessert 1
  12. dessert 2

Yeah....I don't know. Give me one plate of food and call it good.

I would not like how much room that Fiesta ware takes up either. The Corelle stacks up neatly and small! Plus, it all fits into the dishwasher well.
okay...not to be snarky but veg through second veg equals a single course and I don't think each would be served on an individual plate within a course. Usually sorbet is not counted as a course in itself...but I guess it's a quibble depending on the point you're making...so five courses.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
okay...not to be snarky but veg through second veg equals a single course and I don't think each would be served on an individual plate within a course. Usually sorbet is not counted as a course in itself...but I guess it's a quibble depending on the point you're making...so five courses.
Not to mention, I'd rather not have three servings of sorbet.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:03 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
My GF ordered the 8 course Chef's tasting menu last night if that counts? Honestly it was way too much food.

For me, just good food, preferably well presented. All the rest doesn't matter.

When we have parties the people matter more then how we present and what the food is (though it's normally pretty good).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
That's exactly what my Sister In Law does - she was the keeper of the holidays for several years. Her tables were always beautiful, and the quality of some of the disposable ware really is unbelievable! It's about as far from paper plates and plastic forks and cups as you can get. I remember the first year she did it, we were washing the plates, and she came in the kitchen laughing and told us to just pitch them - we were all gobsmacked!
Wegmans sells some amazing disposable pieces especially during the holidays. For some parties we do use fancy paper plates. No point in making a ton of extra work for ourselves!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My GF ordered the 8 course Chef's tasting menu last night if that counts? Honestly it was way too much food.

For me, just good food, preferably well presented. All the rest doesn't matter.

When we have parties the people matter more then how we present and what the food is (though it's normally pretty good).
What on earth comes in 8 courses? I would need a nap part way through.....I imagine it would take forever to eat all that!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Ick. It's still disposable tableware, and no matter how pretty it is, it's incredibly wasteful.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
We have paper plates, but we only use it for breakfast muffins, bagels, etc., and lunch stuff, sandwiches/cheese and crackers. We use plain white Williams Sonoma dishes for dinner, no paper/plastic for dinner, just my personal preference. I work too hard cooking nice dinners to serve it on paper/plastic. We also have very nice, heavy cutlery. I'll inherit tons of China, but I really have zero interest in fancy schmancy dinnerware, to be honest. Cloth napkins come out for holidays, birthdays, otherwise I'm a everyday paper napkin user here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink