Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times

Advertisements

Okay I got a stuffed cabbage recipe from a friend.I normally don't cook outside of my comfort zone. I have a few dishes I'm good at and they are in heavy rotation! lol I usually stick to the basics. So today I decide to be daring and try a stuffed cabbage recipe. So the recipe calls for ground beef ad the meat of choice. I use sausage instead because I love sausage and... sausage and cabbage go together...right? In the recipe it said mix ingredients wrap inside of cabbage and bake in oven for 3.5 hrs without cooking the meat first. Now that I've done that I think... hmmm was that only for ground beef?? Since I used sausage instead should I have cooked it first?? Does anyone know??? I've never cooked sausage in the oven before. I don't want to get both my daughter and I sick!!

ANY help will be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
sausage or ground beef, the same rules apply as far as internal temp. If you have a meat thermometer, insert it in one of the rolls, without putting it thru to the pan. 170 is the temp you should have......btw, I have used ground chicken, turkey and pork in my cabbage rolls, depending on my mood, its all good!
If the meat were precooked before putting in the rolls, it would be all dry and yucky.....

Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
I would think that 3.5 hours in the over would kill just about any little thing that would make you sick, wouldn't it?
Oh....what time is dinner by the way???

Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
That sounds like enough time-enjoy.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
You cooked those tiny, little cabbage rolls for 3.5 hours????? How bad did they shrink?

Here's a decent chart to look at. Meat and Seafood Internal Temperature Cooking Chart, Meat Thermometer

Ground sausage should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 F. All ground meat is cooked to a slightly higher temperature than chunks or slabs of meat. That is because there is bacteria on the grinder that gets mixed throughout the meat. If it was just a steak, the bacteria is only on the surface.

I like to mix 3/4 pound of ground beef to a 1/4 pound of sausage, and some rice when I make stuffed cabbage. Cook at 350 F. for 1-1/2 hours. Don't forget the tomato juice.

Last edited by South Range Family; 02-11-2008 at 10:27 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
You cooked them those tiny, little cabbage rolls for 3.5 hours????? How bad did they shrink?

Here's a decent chart to look at. Meat and Seafood Internal Temperature Cooking Chart, Meat Thermometer

Ground sausage should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 F. All ground meat is cooked to a slightly higher temperature than chunks or slabs of meat. That is because there is bacteria on the grinder that gets mixed throughout the meat. If it was just a steak, the bacteria is only on the surface.

I like to mix 3/4 pound of ground beef to a 1/4 pound of sausage, and some rice when I make stuffed cabbage. Cook at 350 F. for 1-1/2 hours. Don't forget the tomato juice.
Do you cook your meat first?Do you use cooked rice??

Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
I use raw meat and cooked rice.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:26 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Raw meat. Rice boiled for 8 minutes, then drained. No minute rice, or instant rice.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Oh boy, my mouth is watering for some. Being HUNGARIAN, my mother was born in Hungary and I was weened on cabbege rolls. Hungary,Poland,Russia and Checkoslavakia all made this dish, but prepared it a little different. Some used Pigs feet/sauerkraut/Pork/ground beef/tomato past/tomatos etc. My mother used all of these listed at one time or another. My dad and I liked the ground beef with a can of whole tomatos poured over the top while cooking. Its been a while so please bear with me. She would boil the rice a few mins. Mix the ground beef (raw) adding salt (to taste) blk pepper/red paprika/small onion cut fine. She would add the boiled rice to the meat mixture and stir with a large wooden spoon to blend all together. Now this can be put aside while the head of cabbage is boiling in a large pot of water. As the water boiled, she would slowly cut away each leaf as it seperated from the cabbage core. These leaves she put aside into a strainer until all had been cut loose. Some of the real small cabbage left overs she would tear up a little and place on the bottom of a LARGE POT. This is to keep the rolls from burning on the bottom while cooking. She would take a leaf,spoon an amount of the meat/rice mixture into the leaf/rolling forward and tucking the ends inward and placed it into the pot. When the meat/rolls are all done, any cabbage left over can be spread on the top. Place on stove,add water till it barely covers the rolls and now you have a choice of putting on top SAUERKRAUT/Can whole tomatos. Bring water in pot to boil and REDUCE HEAT for CABBAGE to COOK at LOW HEAT 1-1/2 hrs. Check occasionally to add a few drops of water as there will be some steam evaporating. CALL ME as I am getting hungry and would like French Bread with my meal. Such is a HUNGARIAN CABBAGE ROLLS. Stefhen (PISTA in HUNGARIAN)

Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
thanks Steve, i just pasted that into a document for my recipes! I bet you have a really good recipe for goulash, would you share it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink