Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

You can always go with another traditional recipe: Steak-frites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_frites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
It wouldn't occur to either my husband OR myself to order mashed potatoes with steak. Steakhouses are always baked or twice baked.

I have to agree with the poster that mentioned vegetables at a steakhouse - gelofogo. It's funny that he/'she commented on that - the last time we went to a steakhouse, the vegetables we got with my husband's steak were pretty awful - it kind of brought down the whole meal for him. I didn't even order steak -I had Shrimp De Jonghe - I generally don't end up ordering steak at steakhouses to tell the truth - I just can't justify the expense. (Yes, I know I'm weird - but steakhouses also offer me the option of ordering something else I really enjoy that I wouldn't ordinary get anywhere else so it's all good.)

As for mashed potatoes, I only order them when there's gravy to put on them.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:41 AM

51 posts, read 49,904 times
Default Mashed potato

I went to a expensive steakhouse in Westchester I had ordered mashed potato's with my steak $9.00 for the side dish they were instant from the box, I should asked for a straw to eat them.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:29 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
because mashed potatoes are best eaten soon after mashing. They do not hold over well. Do you want to wait 20-30 minutes in a restaurant for great mashed potatoes?

Baked potatoes, wrapped in foil, hold well and you can disguise the quality by offering an assortment of toppings. I don't like them but other people appear to like them. I like mine oven baked with a crispy skin like the poster above.

My children use to request that I bring mashed potatoes to family dinners. I would cook the potatoes at home and mash them with hot milk and butter when I got there. Second best, but better than the alternative.

Instant with a little flour added is a restaurant staple.

I order fries.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=Bulldogdad;43424214]Mashed taters with steak?

Get a baked potato, turn it out on your plate load up with butter and sour cream. Get to mashing.

Drives my wife nuts when I do this.

Then I enjoy spreading butter on the skins like bread when they are cold at the end of the meal and popping them in my mouth

Only I like eating the skins with soul cream instead of butter.

John always gets garlic mashed potatoes and they're pretty good too, but there's nothing like a mushy loaded baked potato loaded with melted butter.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I ate meat, I always got mashed potatoes with steak, but then I discovered a horrifying truth:

My daughter is gluten intolerant. We figured this out ten years ago. As gluten intolerance became better-known, restaurants started to provide menus indicating which of their items contained no wheat/gluten. Mashed potatoes were not on the gf menu--I thought wtf? Potatoes, butter, milk--where is the gluten?

As it turns out, most restaurants put flour into their mashed potatoes, supposedly to give them a more appealing consistency. I think this should be a punishable offense.
Ewww... kinda like IHOP putting pancake batter in their scrambled eggs. Just wrong.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
I'll eat mashed taters with meatloaf, country fried steak, pork chops, etc..

But with a steak it has to be a baked potato
Butter, sour cream, and that's it. I hate it when the skin is too tough or too bitter to eat because if I do have any butter left from scampi or crab legs it is getting poured on and I will it the rest of it. I love it when it is coated in flaky or chunky salt

Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'll eat mashed taters with meatloaf, country fried steak, pork chops, etc..

But with a steak it has to be a baked potato
Butter, sour cream, and that's it. I hate it when the skin is too tough or too bitter to eat because if I do have any butter left from scampi or crab legs it is getting poured on and I will it the rest of it. I love it when it is coated in flaky or chunky salt
YES on baked potatoes coated with chunky salt!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:38 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
German fried potatoes (eg Peter Lugers) or fries with steak.

Not mash, certainly not baked. Baked potatoes are for sitting around the camp fire.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:02 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ewww... kinda like IHOP putting pancake batter in their scrambled eggs. Just wrong.
And dangerous for a lot of people.

Now I get funny looks whenever I'm eating out and ask if the scrambled eggs have any flour or wheat. Thanks a lot, IHOP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink