Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well.. Again on this.. I don't think it's necessarily the food that winds up closing them (Quizno's) down.. It's who they'll give a franchise to.

Someone can get the accurate numbers on this, but I think it's something like 1 in 4 restaurants don't survive past the first year.

Quizno's.. Really will sell a store to someone who probably shouldn't have one. If you pay them $5000 cash.. They'll finance the rest for you. At a pretty bad interest rate. Not horrible, but.. Not great, either.

here's what I wrote when I researched it several years ago.. And, this article should be read to explain some things in what I say.. Quiznos activates strategy to bounce back | The Columbus Dispatch

Quizno's has declined because the franchise agreements are set up in such a way that even experienced operators cannot make a profit.

Quizno has been accused of selling product to its franchisees at above market costs, overcharging them for marketing costs and the like.

Then, they offer all kinds of coupons where they are selling the product BELOW the franchisee cost.

If you google, you will find that a good number of franchisees are very unhappy and many have sued.

I have read their franchise agreement and there is no way in heck I would sign that agreement as I would never be able to make money, even in a good market. I know that Quizno's has lost over half of their stores in the Chicago area.

Personally, I was never enamored with their product and I found them to be pretty expensive. However, since it was my boss's favorite lunch spot, we would go there frequently.

By the way, the article that you linked to was published in 2010. In 2014, they filed for bankruptcy protection. From 2008 to 2015, they went from over 5,000 stores to under 2,000.

For a review of some of the legal issues they have had, follow this link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiznos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 03:14 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
By the way, the article that you linked to was published in 2010. In 2014, they filed for bankruptcy protection. From 2008 to 2015, they went from over 5,000 stores to under 2,000.

For a review of some of the legal issues they have had, follow this link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiznos
Yeah, I wrote the original post that I quoted from in 2013 or so.

I remember reading about the coupon saturation and the overcharging for things that the franchisee was required to buy from them (Food and equipment). That is hardly unique to Quizno's.. Subway does much the same, and does things that are even dirtier. They'll sell you a franchise that you can make work.. Then they'll sell one to 4 other people a mile from you in each direction. So.. That money making franchise that you have that isn't setting the world on fire, but gets by decently.. Now has direct competition on all 4 sides from the same damn franchisor.

I think both Quizno's and Subway also prohibit you buying used equipment.. So, your restaurant fails, you can't sell the equipment to the next sucker they've got coming down the pipe.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:24 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
I go to a little Sicilian place for my subs. They use fresh baked bread and a variety of Italian meats and cheeses (Mortadella, Prosciutto, & Bocconcini Cheese) with some lettuce, tomato, and some oil and vinegar. It's delicious.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:00 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wrote the original post that I quoted from in 2013 or so.

I remember reading about the coupon saturation and the overcharging for things that the franchisee was required to buy from them (Food and equipment). That is hardly unique to Quizno's.. Subway does much the same, and does things that are even dirtier. They'll sell you a franchise that you can make work.. Then they'll sell one to 4 other people a mile from you in each direction. So.. That money making franchise that you have that isn't setting the world on fire, but gets by decently.. Now has direct competition on all 4 sides from the same damn franchisor.

I think both Quizno's and Subway also prohibit you buying used equipment.. So, your restaurant fails, you can't sell the equipment to the next sucker they've got coming down the pipe.

Actually, the last time I looked at the franchisees that were using SBA financing, 29% of Quizno's franchisees were in default but only about 7% of subways.

The issue with ANY franchise agreement is that profitability of the franchisee and franchisor is a zero sum game. Most franchisors want ALL of the profits with little risk.

Over the years, even companies like Marriott have been sued for some of their business practices. it is not a new thing.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
For years I always frequented Subway, but recently, I have kinda gotten bored of thier food, so i looked around to see what was else out there and tried the following sub shops here in Phoenix:

Jimmy Johns
Jersey Mikes
Port of Subs
Blimpies

Tried them all and I am proud to report that Jersey Mikes is my new fave shop-it is soo good. anyone else eat there? If not, where is your fave shop?
Agree, Jersey Mikes tops the other chains. Good version of the Jersey/Philly hoagie. It's the bread, they use that soft Jersey style Italian bread that goes down easy, none of the 8 grain oat or french baguette bs. Also, they have a real good red chili relish, make sure to have them pile on the extra shredded lettuce.. they also sell tastycake peanut butter Kandy Kakes! <-nostalgia. subway bread is odd, it's got a dry and dense texture on a bad day. on a good day, you still feel it in your stomach for the rest of the day.

Blimpie is ok, but used to be the best like 10-20 years ago. Their quality went down, and they closed up in all of NYC. Both Blimpie and Jersey Mikes slices their meat to order, unlike subway which is kept in aluminum pots.. pre sliced deli meats, their ham and salami tastes like those packaged presliced deli meats you get in the supermarket. rule of thumb is if a particular subway isn't ever busy, i generally avoid it. every subway also seems to have a different quality standard. i never get a consistently similar sandwich even at the same shop. saw how they make their cheesesteaks, they keep cooked beef in some paper tray until someone orders it.. gross.

In terms of best hoagie of all time, the best I ever had was from this Greek sandwich shop near UPenn. Philly makes the best hoagies, along with central Jersey. It's all about the bread folks, Philadelphia has their Amoroso buns which is delicious. They are strong enough to hold everything but light and airy inside with a the unique Amoroso chew. For chain restaurants, I also like Primo Hoagies in Philadelphia, it's a chain and available in the East Coast. They use this awesome sesame seeded Italian bread.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 05-13-2016 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
Agree, Jersey Mikes tops the other chains. Good version of the Jersey/Philly hoagie. It's the bread, they use that soft Jersey style Italian bread that goes down easy, none of the 8 grain oat or french baguette bs. Also, they have a real good red chili relish, make sure to have them pile on the extra shredded lettuce.. they also sell tastycake peanut butter Kandy Kakes! <-nostalgia. subway bread is odd, it's got a dry and dense texture on a bad day. on a good day, you still feel it in your stomach for the rest of the day.
I finally tried Jersey Mike's again today.. Service was pretty horrible.. 20 minutes to get my 2 subs.. I got the Big kahuna or whatever Philly style.. Ate it for dinner.. Quite tasty. A very good philly steak. I might consider going back, but it was fairly expensive.. But, taste usually wins out, so.. I would get one of those again.

I've got an Italian sitting in the fridge for tomorrow.. See how their cold subs are.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:08 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
I finally tried Jersey Mike's again today.. Service was pretty horrible.. 20 minutes to get my 2 subs.. I got the Big kahuna or whatever Philly style.. Ate it for dinner.. Quite tasty. A very good philly steak. I might consider going back, but it was fairly expensive.. But, taste usually wins out, so.. I would get one of those again.

I've got an Italian sitting in the fridge for tomorrow.. See how their cold subs are.

Anyone who would buy a sandwich and leave it in the refrigerator for a day has disqualified himself from the rating game. Make it now, eat it now!

Old 05-14-2016, 11:18 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Anyone who would buy a sandwich and leave it in the refrigerator for a day has disqualified himself from the rating game. Make it now, eat it now!
I wholeheartedly agree!

Old 05-14-2016, 12:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,362 times
Quote:

I really like jersey mikes but i ONLY like their roast beef. Their turkey is not good at all.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:31 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
I really like jersey mikes but i ONLY like their roast beef. Their turkey is not good at all.
Like I said, i only get the club deluxe, I guess i will try the roast beef next time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink