Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times

Advertisements

Eat the "bad" ones first. Also take them out of the bag and keep them separate to avoid bruising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:48 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Don't buy lettuce? That's a bit much.

I've bought citrus that has been good, didn't rot, for weeks.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:31 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
[quote=DawnMTL;44720595]Omg, tangelos are my crack. YUM!

Best laugh on City Data today

I never buy anything in a bag or a box. I like to hand pick my own produce.

I hear ya about those tangelo's

Old 07-12-2016, 01:19 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
3 lb. bags that were $3.99 a year ago are now $5.99. But that's not the worst of it. At least one orange per bag, often more than one, goes "bad" within a week of purchase. By "bad" I mean a powdery, stinky, greenish-gray .... mold. (Just guessing that it's a mold.) Doesn't matter if they're juice oranges, navels, temples, you name it. And it's not confined to just one grocery store but at both of the stores I patronize.

One thing I admit that I haven't checked, but should have, is the State(s) in which they were grown.

Nevertheless, oranges, you are history.
One more consumer who thinks their food comes from the grocery store. Here's a clue for you.

https://weather.com/science/news/flo...sease-20131212

Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'll never forget the ending to a 1950s radio/TV jingle: "But never put bananas in the re-frig-e-rator."

Wish I could remember the rest of the tune. It may have been part of a Chiquita banana ad.
Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDOI24RRAE

Old 07-12-2016, 06:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times
[quote=TamaraSavannah;44727683. Crockpots have an interesting history with me. Mom gave me one, perhaps a hand me down, to do with what everyone does with them, cook the meals why one is away at work. For whatever reason, it never got used and I don't think it made it out of the apartments in the move.

Given what wiki says, that they work well with solar power, I am tempted to try again in the new house except that despite what they say, I am very wary of leaving anything cooking when I am away from the house. [/QUOTE]

Yeh, I used to worry about setting the house on fire with the crockpot, but as a working mom, it really helped out to have hot meals ready when we got home. I had a deep, double kitchen sink & put the crockpot on one side to cook all day, & the faucet on the other side...I guess I thought that would be safe...

Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Oranges are not going to be shipped in from Australia or Chile this time of year. Most of the citrus that you are currently buying were harvested in California and Florida months ago and stored in cold storage.

Eat fruit when it is in season and you will be a lot happier.

True! True!

Have given up on buying fruit that is out of season. Grapes taste like rubbish, oranges like cardboard, melons... well better not said in a family forum. *LOL*

All this when a smallish bag of such grapes cost >$8 USD. Told the check-out girl that supermarket was out of their natural mind and put the things back.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
...........If your criteria for food purchase is lasting more than a week, I hope you are not buying meat or fish.
Milk would be iffy.
Certainly don't buy lettuce.
Berries would be out also.

You must have an interesting diet of mostly canned and frozen food.
It depends on how you do it. Personally, my milk supply lasts for months.....of course, I buy it powdered in the box and mix it up when I need it.

Beef is now almost entirely brisket. Buy it, cook it, slice it, baggie it, into the ice box. Fish is similar though situation has taken it mostly to buy it and into the ice box. When I could get whole salmon (headless, gutted), I would cut it up into sections, baggie it, and into the ice box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Yeh, I used to worry about setting the house on fire with the crockpot, but as a working mom, it really helped out to have hot meals ready when we got home. I had a deep, double kitchen sink & put the crockpot on one side to cook all day, & the faucet on the other side...I guess I thought that would be safe...
I suppose it is to each their own. Being there is only me, dinner when I get home comes down to what I am in the mood to make. Today, I got off early and made pancakes (graveyard shift). The mood I am in or what I can make in a rush since last night's meal before work was an avocado-cucumber salad sans lettuce.

There are two other things. First, I often make a beef stew to put in pitchers in the fridge for many quick meals through the week. Being ex Navy with a forest ranger mentality thrown in, I often see meals as something of the mid rats special in what can be thrown together. Sometimes it is beef stew, sometimes it is corn bread with peanut butter, sometimes it is grabbing 4 - 8 pieces of fruit and taking that in with me to work.

The other thing is that as I am trying to get more time out of my day, a consideration has come up to not see the meal after work as a grand affair but just a brief refresher before continuing on to other things. That notion hasn't been so successful yet, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I somehow must have missed that growing up.

That said, when I got home this morning with my bananas, I got out a "wood plastic" salad bowl, put them in it and put said bowl on the only available counter space available......atop the kitchen laptop "Gabrielle" (for those who read me often, you have your deserved "AH-HA!").

I'll dig out my avocados to join them.....if I don't consume them first.

This is one of those things of why City-data is useful. Suzy Homemaker who is a babe in the woods, doing things that others rolled their eyes at, thinking everyone knew that. Thank you for the tips!

One final thing in the fruit wars. Picked up a bag of cherries last week to use for dessert. So far, they have gone over well..........though I am wondering if I am sinking further into fantasy worlds between "Red Riding Hood" and "The Witches of Eastwick".

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-12-2016 at 09:02 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
UCK, thankfully I don't really like fruit anymore........stinky, slimy, messy!

Some dried fruit is OK, but the problem with that is, they usually jack it full of sugar, I'll pass.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
UCK, thankfully I don't really like fruit anymore........stinky, slimy, messy!

Some dried fruit is OK, but the problem with that is, they usually jack it full of sugar, I'll pass.
I wouldn't eat rotting durian, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink