Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband and I each paid $310 for the prix fixe menu at Per Se and it was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had.

It was nine scheduled courses of perfection with two extra courses the chef threw in.

Would I do it again?

Absofrigginlutely.

Sometimes you cannot put a price on things.
Been to Alinea, La Bernadin, and Noma (in Copenhagen) amongst many other delicious fine dining restaurants. I am rarely disappointed with the food, experience or service.

I've also had great meals in hole-in-the-wall joints.

People should not discount something until they have tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 05:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Been to Alinea, La Bernadin, and Noma (in Copenhagen) amongst many other delicious fine dining restaurants. I am rarely disappointed with the food, experience or service.

Maybe if these restaurants discounted their own food, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Ok, now that's out of my system. :P

Seriously though, if it wasn't for the price point, this whole thing would be a non issue. There are just a bunch of us who really don't see the point of spending that much money on 1 meal. I'm sure it tastes as wonderful as it looks, it is just beyond what I am willing to spend on food.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:22 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:

Some of my best meals have been at hole in the wall Cuban joints. My favorite place doesn't even have tables, https://www.yelp.com/biz/925-nuevos-...ort-lauderdale

Old 09-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
There are just a bunch of us who really don't see the point of spending that much money on 1 meal. I'm sure it tastes as wonderful as it looks, it is just beyond what I am willing to spend on food.
Some people spend thousands on handbags...others do not.
Some people spend money on fancy cars...others choose not to.
Some people spend all of the vacation money on a trip to Disney....others feel that is a waste.
Some people spend money on lottery tickets...others laugh at the thought.

I am SURE there is something that you choose to spend money on that I would feel isn't worth it. That's fine. That's the best part about life; you get to make your choices an I can make mine.

I just don't go around questioning other people's choices......

Old 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Some people spend thousands on handbags...others do not.
Some people spend money on fancy cars...others choose not to.
Some people spend all of the vacation money on a trip to Disney....others feel that is a waste.
Some people spend money on lottery tickets...others laugh at the thought.

I am SURE there is something that you choose to spend money on that I would feel isn't worth it. That's fine. That's the best part about life; you get to make your choices an I can make mine.

Alright, I'll bite.

Handbags are designed to last years.
Fancy cars again are designed to last years.
Vacation to Disney is usually a few days long, and makes memories that last a lifetime.
Lottery tickets... okay well you got me there.

Food goes in one end and comes out the other within 24 hours, and only about 20 to 30 minutes of which you are able to taste it.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:

Or judging other people's choices.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Alright, I'll bite.

Vacation to Disney is usually a few days long, and makes memories that last a lifetime.

Food goes in one end and comes out the other within 24 hours, and only about 20 to 30 minutes of which you are able to taste it.
Geeze, how did I know you'd bite on Disney?

Memories that last a lifetime? For you, perhaps. For me? A painful, crowded, hot day with lines, rides that make me sick, and whining kids.

I will remember my dinner at Alinea for the rest of my life. I spent it with my husband and enjoyed every minute of the four hours we were there.

How is that different than your visit to Disney?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Alright, I'll bite.

With that line of reasoning, why should anyone ever go do concerts, sporting events, art galleries, etc?

Old 09-05-2016, 06:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,001 times
I get being a fan of someone and wanting them to make your food, but I don't get people who go to their restaurants like it means their BFFs. If you like Emeril and go to one of his restaurants, he's not back there cooking. Someone else is. Especially when they own more than one restaurant. I don't think gourmet food is better, but I get it. There are snobby people. I think the term gets used too liberally. I was buying chocolate and some chocolates were labeled "gourmet". Real gourmet chocolate, like say Godiva, doesn't say gourmet.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Geeze, how did I know you'd bite on Disney?

Memories that last a lifetime? For you, perhaps. For me? A painful, crowded, hot day with lines, rides that make me sick, and whining kids.

I will remember my dinner at Alinea for the rest of my life. I spent it with my husband and enjoyed every minute of the four hours we were there.

How is that different than your visit to Disney?
My trip to Disney lasted a full week, and I have souvenirs and pictures to help bring back the memories. I can't think of a single food that would have that effect on me.

Obviously in the end to each his/her own, but I could never see food leaving a lifetime's worth of memories for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink