Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 01:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

We eat fish but look for vegetarian places when we go out, because seafood restaurants where I live are mostly mediocre or not worth the price to me. Is sushi gourmet? It's a rare treat, but I will happily spend a chunk of money on good sushi. Indian and Thai food is cheap compared to most fish joints, and they have plenty of vegetarian choices. I'd love to find a Filipino restaurant too. Not what I'd call gourmet.

My husband's parents recently took us to some well-reviewed restaurant. My husband had the cioppino. It was $45, a ridiculous price to me for a bowl of soup. I relented and had a spoonful of his, and daaaaang it was delicious. I don't know if it was "$45 delicious," but for some people, an evening in a restaurant, with tasty cioppino and drinks from the bar and someone else doing the dishes, is as enjoyable as going to a concert or theater performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 02:42 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
But it's all mediocre food.

How can you judge all that as being mediocre? All of those comfort foods and typical dinner fare can be elevated to be "gourmet." There could be brie in those scalloped potatoes, etc.

And there is nothing wrong with good food whether it be simple or complicated.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2016, 02:43 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I don't get it, either. I don't like feeling like I got ripped off because I paid way too much for a practically empty plate and am still hungry when I leave! Not that I mind paying for good food. I just expect to have some food on my plate when I do!

Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
My husband and I each paid $310 for the prix fixe menu at Per Se and it was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had.

It was nine scheduled courses of perfection with two extra courses the chef threw in.

Would I do it again?

Absofrigginlutely.

Sometimes you cannot put a price on things.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:18 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Aw heck. Now I want meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Rebound from eating super healthy the last few days.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2016, 03:35 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
why do people pay 100 a plate for a mouthful??
to say they did... "and it was amazing!"

gives them something to talk about
It beats paying $1000 for rubber chicken to listen to some politician.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Aw heck. Now I want meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Rebound from eating super healthy the last few days.
You're welcome.

That's what's on our menu tomorrow, Meatloaf and either mashed potatoes or scalloped. Not sure what I'm going to do for the veggie yet. Tonight the kid and I are having pork chops, corn on the cob, and something else that I haven't decided on yet.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:54 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Really?!?!?!?! You posted that?
In response to someone posting that eating good food was showing off.

And also years of frustration from traveling to interesting cities with coworkers who only want to eat at chain restaurants. If there isn't a "2 can dine for $20" special they aren't interested in trying it. The few times I have managed to drag a few of them into a restaurant with a higher price point than Applebee's they don't think they get their money's worth.

Once at a Mexican fusion restaurant I had someone tell me that you can get the same thing at Taco Bell, and Taco Bell is better because they put cheese on everything.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:01 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,774 times
Just ordered Chinese take-out myself. I've eaten in 4 star rated by Michelin restaurant where if you got up from the table you came back to a new napkin folded by your plate. My son has been on the front page of the NY times food section with his sushi restaurant, (I call it the bait shop). Some of the best meals I've ever had were in hole in the wall type places. Not sure if it was my hunger level, but had great Mexican food at a place off the beaten path in GA. Got great key lime pie at a little place Hurricane Andrew nearly destroyed. Had 2 lobsters "old Maine style" (which seems to have meant with a bag of potato chips) outside Kennebunkport.

While presentation is important, taste is what really matters to me.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post

While presentation is important, taste is what really matters to me.
I absolutely agree; but you seem to be indicating that these expensive "presentation" places don't focus on taste. I assure you, not a single one would remain open longer than a month if the food didn't taste superb. No one is paying for presentation, only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink