Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:47 AM

274 posts, read 254,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Anyone is welcome to try and start their own fast food business and set whatever prices they want. It is not big governments place to try to price fix our meals and centrally plan the economy. We see the real world results of that system in places like North Korea, Cuba, and more recently in Venezuela.

We have seen from the hundred to two hundred million murdered by centrally planned economies in the 20th century, the tens of thousands that had to resort to cannibalism under such regimes, and the quality of life of billions that were negatively impacted by expropriation of their private property and fruits of their labor; that a centrally planned economy does not work.
Therefore, cheap burgers cause cannibalism, QED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,097,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Five Guys is good but it can get expensive real quick. It's also very unhealthy. It's the only place I go to where I have to get the "Junior" size (maybe it's called the little burger). Even that is a lot of calories.
I've been to In n Out twice in Dallas. Maybe the ones in California are better but I just never cared for it that much. Fries tasted stale both times. Burger was good but not excepThtion. BUT, it was pretty cheap so I'm not wholly opposed to eating there since there is a good value.
really doubt there is a difference where you get one; the recipe has been the same since they opened in the 1940s. The only addition would be a couple of specialty burger not on the menu. As for the fries, I agree, unless they are really hot they are not the best. Of course to me, no fry is that great if cold. They may have tasted stale to you, but they are cut every morning and never fried until the order is put in. I still
say you have to consider the price. I doubt the family ever intended them to compare with a gourmet burger. The only thing that makes them an exception is the price and the fact everything is fresh, no chopped onions, or lettuce and a piece of tomato you can actually see.

Let's face it, this debate will continue for as long as there is an IN n Out. There is no right or wrong, just a preference.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,098,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am talking meals. Who eats just a hamburger?
Me for one. Pile up a Five Guys burger with all available (included in price) toppings and there isn't room in my belly for anything else. Of course all the (free) peanuts eaten before the meal can tamp down hunger.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:27 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,457,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
And you aren't even paying for quality ingridients!!!!! It's chemicals and mystery crap. I hate fast food chains, they are the worst!!!
Well, in reference to the restaurant to OP went to for the $15 meal, "b.good", they source their ingredients from specific farms that they promote on their website. No mystery there. And it explains the high prices since they are small, local family farms located in the northeastern states.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,356,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Me for one. Pile up a Five Guys burger with all available (included in price) toppings and there isn't room in my belly for anything else. Of course all the (free) peanuts eaten before the meal can tamp down hunger.
You bring your own Coke to?

Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,845,537 times
Quote:
I am talking meals. Who eats just a hamburger?
How could I be confused when your post says " Fast food burger is up to $15!"? So yes, you are exaggerating to make a point that's not there

Old 09-27-2016, 12:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,845,537 times
Quote:
You bring your own Coke to?
I drink water which is free

Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,467,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
How could I be confused when your post says " Fast food burger is up to $15!"? So yes, you are exaggerating to make a point that's not there
Pretty much. The title is very misleading. $15.99 for burger/fries/drink is not so outrageous, particularly if it's a higher quality fast casual place. That's quite normal...no matter if it's burger, sandwiches, burritos, etc.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,523,552 times
I recently paid $15 for just a burger at Red Robin. Not exactly fast food and more of a "gourmet" burger. It had just about everything on it (don't remember the name). It was very good but at $15 that is approaching the price of a regular meal at most restaurants. I guess the burger is being elevated to a higher status but in my mind I equate it with fast food.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:40 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,627,368 times
I haven't eaten junk food for a long time, so it's a moot issue for me. But I do remember that the 19-cent hamburgers around here were undercut by a 15-cent price by a new drive-in. We did wonder what the mystery-meat actually was in them. In our high-school cafeteria, a very large burger was 20 cents and hot-dogs, 15 cents. Here's a link to a photo of a little local, roadside cafe, that continues to maintain its signs, although I don't think it's still in business:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2087/1...1f8641e4_o.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink