Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You're not being serious, right??
Of course I was being serious. Cubes of bratwurst, tomato pyramids, lettuce rings, whatever. They'll take it. They're starving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I like bratwurst patties although I would never consider Johnsonville patties to be the best.

The problem that I have with bratwurst patties is the tendency for many to cook the patties way too long and you end up with ... a hockey puck.

By the way, Lake Geneva Meats and Sorg Meats in Walworth Co. (WI) do a good job on bratwourst as well as Elburn Meats in Elburn.
I'm feeling a need for a road trip coming on...

Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
That is about the 'label' then, mainebrokerman? If you eat pumpkin pie that is made from pumpkin out of a can, apparently what you are eating is actually squash pie. Yes, pumpkin is a squash anyway but there has been quite a bit of publicity lately that the 'pumpkin' in cans is really not 'pumpkin' at all (i.e. like the pie pumpkin, the smallish ones, you can buy in the fall or grow) but another orange squash type. And if you ever watch cooking shows from Australia, you will see that they are definitely using some other kind of squash when they make a 'pumpkin' pie or even serve 'pumpkin' in other ways - it is yellow rather than orange oft-times.

Love the dinosaur burger idea!
He just doesn't want his pi squared.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
hot dog pattie = bologna
Yep. I don't eat that kind of food very often. Why would I eat extruded sodium nitrite/nitrate-saturated floor scrapings when there are so many other food options out there with higher quality?

I don't have a heck of a lot of "food shape issues". As a pizza topping, I prefer my meat sausage class of toppings to be ground rather than sliced but that's to more uniformly distribute the flavor rather than some issue over the shape of the food.

I noticed Pringles mentioned in the thread. If you've ever stepped on a potato chip on a boat deck, you might appreciate why I only buy Pringles for the boat. A safety issue since a wet potato chip is like a banana peel when you step on it. Pringles are in all other ways inferior to a real potato chip.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:04 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are children in Africa who would do anything for just one cube of bratwurst.
Yes, I understand the joke because I got the starving children in China lecture frequently while I was growing up.

The starving children in Africa might possibly eat bratwurst because it is mildly spiced meat, but unfortunately, starving people will refuse to eat food they are not familiar with. It is an actual real world problem for the rescue organization that feed refugees and starving populations.

First world countries have a lot of food variety but poor countries often times do not. A lot of foods are unfamiliar to poor persons of those nations. If they don't know it, or it isn't very similar to what they know, they will refuse it.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:30 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
He just doesn't want his pi squared.
Good one. Thanks for the smile! Thanks too again to mainebrokerman for providing the 'fodder for the feast' so to speak.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I get what you're talking about, but my "thing" isn't about shapes -- it's about perceived texture.

Let me explain.

You know all those "fancy"-flavored potato chips? Like there's one that tastes like BBQ chicken or pastrami or tzatziki or whatever? Yeah, the flavor is right there on that potato chip! Absolutely! But I associate BBQ chicken and pastrami and tzatziki and whatever with a certain texture -- and that texture is not a crisp potato chip. Totally throws me off my game and I don't want to play anymore.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:59 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Of course I was being serious. Cubes of bratwurst, tomato pyramids, lettuce rings, whatever. They'll take it. They're starving.
Oy....

Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 AM

802 posts, read 642,911 times
Dang. Now I want a bologna sandwich on soft white bread with mayo and Lay's original potato chips smooshed in it.

I guess my 'thing' would be bread. Hot dogs must be served in a hot dog bun. Hamburgers, a hamburger bun. Ruebens and Patty Melts must be served on rye! French toast must be made with Texas Toast style bread. Some sandwiches must have soft white bread, egg salad, bologna, tuna salad.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I can't think of any context where this would bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink