Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

That sounds excessive to me. Most of the asian places around here have one price for tofu/chicken/pork. Another price for beef and a 3rd higher price for shrimp. Swapping tofu would have been free or maybe a dollar. $5 seems uber excessive to me. Maybe the demographics are a little different here and they use a lot of tofu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:27 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When I order something nt on the menu, I expect to pay more. That Rolls Royce with a Chevy engine is going to cost a lot more.
It's not a Rolls Royce with a Chevy engine. It's an Impala with a Malibu engine.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Tofu costs about a dollar at the supermarket for a large lump, sometimes $2, no way was the chicken more expensive, They can probably buy the tofu for pennies.
I just bought a 40 pound box of boneless skinless chicken breasts at the restaurant supply for under $1 a pound. The tofu there is in two pound blocks and it is definitely not under $1 a pound. So tufu is not cheaper for the restaurant.

But that is not the issue. OP asked for a completely new dish, not a substitution. The restaurant can not take out the chicken and drop in tofu into a sauce with chicken broth and make it a vegan meal. The entire thing had to be cooked from scratch and it is very possible that the ingredients for the sauce and everything else is slightly different for tofu than for chicken. Chinese cooking adjusts the seasonings to enhance the meat used.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I just bought a 40 pound box of boneless skinless chicken breasts at the restaurant supply for under $1 a pound. The tofu there is in two pound blocks and it is definitely not under $1 a pound. So tufu is not cheaper for the restaurant.

But that is not the issue. OP asked for a completely new dish, not a substitution. The restaurant can not take out the chicken and drop in tofu into a sauce with chicken broth and make it a vegan meal. The entire thing had to be cooked from scratch and it is very possible that the ingredients for the sauce and everything else is slightly different for tofu than for chicken. Chinese cooking adjusts the seasonings to enhance the meat used.
This! After reading the thread I'm surprised how many, including the OP, think that just by switching from chicken to tofu would make it vegan. It doesn't work that way 99% of the time. They would have to check and switch out all sauces. Even some soy sauce is not vegan.
The new price more then likely should have been disclosed but an extra $5 is not out of line. They asked not for a substitution but a whole new dish which had to be prepared from scratch. If the restaurant doesn't have any other vegan (most have vegetarian but not vegan) dishes on the menu it might have caused some confusion as well as extra work in the kitchen.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:08 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Moral of the story:

Eat Meat :-)

Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:

Agree with you. Last week, I paid $0.39 for chicken leg quarters at the local IGA and $1.59 for the tofu. If the dish is truly vegan, there probably has to be several other modifications.

If a menu says "market price" or you need to do some modifications, it is really on you to ask for the pricing.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:41 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:

Kung Pao is not normally made with chicken broth.

It pretty much is just making it with tofu instead of chicken.

Sauce is the same.

Here you switch out tofu all the time. Why? Because chinese food is made pretty much fresh each time.

To me it's not the price, it's they didn't tell her upfront.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Kung Pao is not normally made with chicken broth.

It pretty much is just making it with tofu instead of chicken.

Sauce is the same.

Here you switch out tofu all the time. Why? Because chinese food is made pretty much fresh each time.

I had mentioned that as a theoretical possibility way upthread, with the idea that perhaps they really did make the entire dish from scratch to make it vegan. And in that case, yes, they'd be justified in charging a 50% up charge. But yeah, I think that's unlikely given the way Chinese restaurants typically operate.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 PM

483 posts, read 418,557 times
Just pointing out..
The most inexpensive tofu I buy is $1.29 but at only 8oz.
While the most inexpensive chicken I buy is ($0.79 per lb for legs n thighs, $1.29 per lb for breast meat)... @ 16oz.

Tofu is way more expensive of the two hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink